main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars Bipeds

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by Stamper, Mar 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stamper

Stamper Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 9, 2002
    Hey, I'm way new to character animating, and have been simply playing around lately. I was wondering if anyone out there has or knows where I can find some more biped files to play with? If it would be easier to make my own, anybody have any pointers? Any help would be great, thanks!

2. JinxKatarn

JinxKatarn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 8, 2001
    If you're talking about motion capture files, don't expect to make your own...ever, heh heh. It takes a team of people to capture it with full gear, then another person or two for a week plus to go through and clean the captured information up before delivering it to you.

They ARE fun to play with, though...best I can tell you is do a search through every search engine for files. Don't use just your favorite, you'd be surprised the varying results you can get from different search engines.

Most books that teach character animation have mocap files on their accompanying CDs as well. "Animating Real-Time Game Characters (Game Development Series)" by Paul Steed is a great example, and if you're serious about getting into character animation (and use 3D Studio Max) I would highly recommend picking up a copy.

Try to get some time in with keyframing character animation. An exercise I occasionally do is pop a DVD in and try to recreate one character's movement from a scene through keyframing, trying to get timing right for different animation cycles.

Hope that is of some help.

3. fireresq7

fireresq7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2002
    try these
    click here

There's one link that is titled MISC Bipeds.That's from my website, and it is temperarily down til t=next month. So please check back for my bip files...I have alot.

~Rory

4. Stamper

Stamper Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 9, 2002
    Wow, missed those. Thanks Rory! Look forward to catchin' up with your files later.

Constantly working on an ongoing special effects project (a film that will stick with me for a while anyway); we've done lightsabers and wounds and abunch of other junk, but we're now thinking we're ready to graduate to the implimentation of digital characters. In concept, we have our present characters fighting "Samurai" Droids, and we've been choregraphing a fight as of late for such a scene's filmography. However, the feedback I'm getting here would advise that this kind of work would be next to impossible (because that would mean I would have to animate my own character movements for these baddies)? Would you all agree? I'm cool with that...rather be told "not to go for the swim before we get waist deep and drown." Any feedback in this regard would also help alot, thanks!

5. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Well from what I gather, what you have in mind would be a TON of work. It would also require very fine-tuned animation. I would suggest that you test a few small versions (like getting one character to stay in the scene properly) before attempting to do a CG vs. Real fight scene. Interacting with something that isn't there is one thing, but fighting it is a whole new monster...it's a very daunting and time-consuming task. Just my two cents. :)

6. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum star 4 VIP

Sep 10, 1999
    Yea... I have links for this under the LINKS section on SCIFI 3D.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.