main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars Birth of a Shadow: Futures Dawn

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by stinrab, May 13, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Owen

Owen Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 19, 1998
    [[some day in the foreseeable future we'll get back to writing new posts for this, and not just rebuilding the thread ]]

The past two hours had been the most astounding of Orsus?s life. Well so far, he shrugged.

After leaving the spaceport they had boarded a small silver shuttle, it?s twin engines propelling it forward at a rate faster than anything Orsus had experienced up until that point. The shuttle sliced through the upper atmosphere with surprising ease, with only minimal turbulence rocking the nimble craft.

When Wark had first told him about space travel, Orsus had yearned for it. To be up amongst the stars and the vacuum of space was almost like a dream. An impossible dream.

But now, Orsus Acerbis was living that dream. He was loving every second of it.

Space was brighter than he had expected; countless distant specks- stars- lit the darkness. Filling a small, though not to be underestimated, space was a spacecraft that absolutely dwarfed their shuttle.

The large craft was roughly melon in shape, but a multitude of levels scarred across its otherwise smooth surface. Small view windows dotted the ships? belly while a large rectangular view screen covered the front of the top most level. Orsus knew this to be the ships bridge- its main control area.

?Our transportation,? Doctrina said solemnly, his voice breaking through the silence that had entwined the insides of the shuttle.

Orsus looked at his new master, at his powerful, feline-like appearance. Orsus had expected him to have been as awed as he was at the amazing technology of space flight but Doctrina seemed to disregard it at the wave of a hand.

?It?s our shuttle,?Doctrina said, continuing his last statement. He tapped the insulated glass of the view window with his thumb claw, pointing towards something nearby which, in his current position, Orsus couldn?t see. ?And that is how we get to Tirawa.?

Orsus moved closer to the window, his eyes moving around until he saw it. He bit his lip as he felt the air escaping his lungs.

He thought their melon transport was huge. What he saw now positively monstrous. It consisted of a large disk with many levels its? underbelly was covered with thousands of thick metal tubes. The end of the tubes would cover an entire side of the melon ship, Orsus decided.

?What are those??

?The tubes?? Doctrina said, finishing his sentence for him. ?Those are docking bays. Since there is no conventional way for ships to cover large distances, they ?hitch? a ride. So to speak.?

?On that thing??Orsus asked, rather dryly.

?The "car transport" ship, or car-port, has a sort of hyperdrive, but it uses the gravity fields of planets to propel itself through space. The ship must align itself
    at the right spot in the planets gravitational field so that it is directly between the departure planet and the destination planet,?Doctrina explained, crossing his furry arms across his robed chest. ?The departure
    planet gives the ship the push it needs and the destination planet acts like a magnet of homing beacon so the ship goes in the right direction.?

?So we are getting on the Melon Shuttle and then attaching to the car-port??Orsus asked, slowly understanding.

?Correct, young padawan,? Doctrina answered, smiling at his young student. The force Master put a hand on the young students? shoulders and gave them a reassuring squeeze. ?You?ve taken your first step into a much larger world.?

2. Owen

Jul 19, 1998
    ?What is that your mind is that your mind is thinking, student Orsus??

Orsus jumped slightly from his plush chair at the sound of his Masters? voice which broke the silence that existed seconds previously. Looking up at him, his eyes seeing once again just how large, and graceful, a creature Lucis Doctrina was.

Orsus sat in the rear-most compartment of The Coral Skipper, their melon shaped shuttle. He was actually quite surprised at how such a large ship could still have a consistent level of quality throughout all its? decks. Probably hoping to squeeze a few extra money chips out of its? customers, the owners of the large ship had created a viewing room at the rear which allowed the ships? patrons to watch as the ship was propelled through space by its? car-port.

Orsus scratched the back of his neck lightly with a slightly long fingernail as he turned back to look out the viewing window. The auditoriums? dozens of rows of seats were completely deserted, which he found quite strange considering what a marvel it was to watch as the ship sailed through underneath the car-port. Just visible at the top of the view window was the grey of the car-ports? central command disk. Beyond that were vertical columns as the car-port sent itself, and all the ships that were attached to it, through hyperspace.

?Can?t you just pick it out of my mind?? Orsus asked, half-joking half-wondering. He himself had pried into other living creatures minds? before but felt somewhat guilty afterwards. Orsus wondered if perhaps this activity was frowned upon.

Doctrina shifted himself from the doorway and moved swiftly down the steps to the seat next to Orsus. Only the slight sound of his robes shifting gave away to a listener that he was moving.

Doctrina held up a dark furred finger from his paw, the retractable claws only slightly visible beneath his skin, and waved it.

?Reading peoples? emotions is the role of a Jedi,? Doctrina purred, his voice solemn and powerful as it echoed through the silence of the auditorium, ?How else do we protect the innocent without knowing the enemy? How do we help those suffering without hearing their pain??

Orsus declined his head just noticeably, his eyes gesturing towards Doctrinas? waving finger, ?Then why do I sense you frown upon something??

?Reading emotions and feelings is one thing; reading a persons mind is completely different,? Doctrina said, his voice almost sounding like a warning. His cat-like eyes turned to look at Orsus, as if the young man was a complete mystery to him. ?A mind is the only place where someone can truly escape. Invading a mind like that is a violation of the rights of living creatures. The force should be used for knowledge firstly; defence at a last resort but never as an attack.?

Orsus bit his lip, the words sinking in, ?And invading a mind is an attack. An attack against privacy.?

Doctrina smiled at his young student, clearly impressed. ?You learn quickly, Orsus. Learning quickly is an essential for survival; yet failure is still dominant,? Doctrina said, gesturing to his student to conclude the statement.?

?Learning quickly is essential,? Orsus said softly, his hand fingering a button on his dormant staff, ?But learning well is critical.?

?Well done,? Doctrina said, chuckling quietly, ?I see you?ve spending a lot of your spare time in the Jedi-Liu library amongst our many manuscripts.?

?The works of the Whills mainly,? Orsus said with a shrug, his eyes becoming distracted momentarily as the white columns turned back into stars indicating that their first jump was finished.

Doctrina nodded, ?The Whills are indeed well attuned to the ways of the force and the limitless possibilities it opened up.?

?So, why exactly are we going to Tirawa, Master?? Orsus asked patiently

?The Republic is stretching out galaxy wide now, my apprentice,? The old Master said, his face brightening up, ?It is planned that all systems have a say in the way the galaxy is structured and organised.?

?What about our order?? Said Orsus, his eyes narrowing

?What ever do you mean?? Came Doctrina?s r

3. Owen

Jul 19, 1998
    ?We welcome all our patrons to the Vijiin system and we ask all shuttles to prepare for disembarking,? Came the oily voice of the carports? captain throughout the comm system in all the ships joining it, ?We trust you have enjoyed your ride and hope you?ll come back soon. Remember Hyperspace isn?t Hyperspace without Carport!?
    And with the finish of the company?s cheesy slogan, The Coral Skipper disconnected itself from the large Carport disk and starting making its own course. Nearby, a hundred other ships, also hitching a ride with the Carport, were doing likewise except in different directions.

?Welcome aboard The Coral Skipper,?Came the voice of the ships female captain shortly after the ship levelled out, ?We hope you enjoyed our hyperspace trip as we start the next leg of our journey solo.?

The silence in the ships? passenger bays turned to light murmuring as the occupants chose to ignore the pointless chit-chat of the captain. Orsus, instead, listened in closely as he drifted out of his meditation session.

?We will be taking a slight detour from our normally straight voyage to drop off some Ambassadors to the province of Tirawa,? The captain continued, ?On behalf of the crew we are honoured to have two members of the Ochpu Jedi-Liu Order on board.?

Light clapping was heard over the comm. The transmission ended not long after some more idle talk about galactic standard time and meals.

?Are we that high profile?? Orsus smiled, uncrossing his legs and bringing them up to his chin. Doctrina remained cross-legged his eyes still closed.

They sat in the centre of the floor in their private assigned chamber; Orsus on the right, Doctrina on the left. Nearby, the two Jedi-Liu were hovering pieces of furniture off the deck.

?The President probably alerted the crew that we were on board and that we were top priority,? Doctrina said softly, ?I guess any advertising is good advertising.?

?Does Tirawa know that the ambassadors are Jedi?? Orsus asked, letting a soft yawn escape his mouth

Doctrina remained still, only his lips moving, ?Not that I am aware. Nevertheless, we will act as normal ambassadors and oversee that their planet is welcomed into the Republic with open arms.?

?Yes, my Master,? Orsus answered, gently dropping his share of the furniture back on the floor. ?What is it you are thinking??

?What makes you think I?m thinking?? Doctrina smiled, opening his eyes and turning his head towards his apprentice.

?I can tell,? Orsus said with a shrug, ?But only from your emotions. You seem to be worried.?

Doctrina?s smile vanished quickly, his head nodding slowly, ?I was thinking about something that happened earlier this week.?

Earlier this week?, Orsus wondered, trying to pinpoint what his Master was speaking of. Earlier that week they had been on the Republic Capital.

?When you were lost in the spaceport you touched something,? Doctrina continued, his eyes narrowing, ?Something curious.?

?You mean through the force? I can?t really remember,? Orsus answered, knowing he was lying. He had promised himself to barricade the memory of the awful massacre in the alley into the back-corners of his mind.

?Lying isn?t your specialty I see,? Doctrina said, his face remaining neutral, ?You touched something the Jedi-Liu have been afraid of for a generation. Protector Militis felt it too and shares my concern.?

?Sorry my Master,? Orsus said gravely, ?I wanted to force that memory out of my mind. Up until this point I thought I had succeeded.?

?If you have problems or worries you must speak them out,? The Master said, ?I may be here to instruct but I?m also here to listen.?

Orsus nodded and closed his eyes, letting his memory drift back to that day. Doctrina placed a furry hand gently on his student?s forehead, allowing himself to see into his mind.

Memories flooded back to Orsus: his staff twirling in front of him, knocking away the weapons of his attackers. And then--

The fatal blow that killed the large thug

It tore at his chest like the strongest knife as he felt the searing pain of darkness overtake him. The

4. Owen

Jul 19, 1998
    Arriving on the bridge of the The Coral Skipper was like walking into chaos. On both levels of the massive control centre people ran everywhere desperately trying to get to stations or to report damage. Frantic shouts from one end of the large space intended for the other side were engulfed in alarms and the unnatural scraping and crashing on the external hull.
    In the middle of it all, practically standing on her raised command chair, Captain Ellis was shouting orders for almost every crewman on the bridge. Tiny but fast shapes blurred past the huge view screen spouting streaks of bluish light as they passed, adding to the illumination of the bridge for a brief few fractions of a second like a sheet of lightning.

?Report,? Ellis shouted, fighting to carry her voice above the clanging alarms while fighting to keep her balance too.

?Engine number three is gone Captain,? a crewman shouted out from an engineering control station.

?Then get it back on-line, and as quickly as possible.?

?No, Captain it?s? gone. The housing and lower shielding were shattered. The main accelerator unit never stood a chance without them,? the crewman replied nervously.

Slamming her fist on the arm of her command chair while silently cursing to herself, she looked down at the screens in front of her, trying to make some sense of the confusion. ?Would somebody turn those bloody alarms off,? she shouted off to one side. ?I?m trying to think here,? she added quietly to herself.

What she saw was not to her liking. Sensor displays showed, when they weren?t flickering uncontrollably, her ship surrounded by tiny shapes buzzing around the hull. Without any real pattern, they were striking at anything that was in their way leaving streaks of raw ion fire that splashed across the surface of the large hull. It might be a nice light show, but hardly effective, she thought to herself. Ion cannon attacks weren?t always the great tactical master plan most thought they were these days, especially against a frontier class cargo ship with it?s isolated external hull. A few minor secondary systems might go down, and maybe some sever carbon scouring but nothing major. And they know it.
    The small ships darting about the hull of the Skipper didn?t interest her any more, as a small group of ships in tight formation came back into sensor range for another run. That was the real danger. Heading for the rear end of the underbelly of the large transport ship, the small snub ships held a straight unwavering course, well out of range of any fire that might come from one of the few small cannons on the Skipper.
    As the screen flickered again, four blips of light suddenly appeared in front of the approaching ships, accelerating towards their prey. There was no need for Ellis to shout a warning.

?INCOMING! All hands brace for impact.? The shout came from at least two stations on the other side of the bridge

On the sensor screen, those small specks of light seemed to cover that large distance in a matter seconds, which made the slow lumbering bombers, from which they were released, look like they were standing still in space. Already they were at the 500 distance marker.
    50?
    The ship reeled forward as the four torpedoes struck home, almost sending Captain Ellis over the railing and down to the level below.

?Damage report!? she screamed out across the bridge as she pushed herself back into her seat.

?Engine number two heavy-plate shielding is losing integrity, sir. One more like that and we might lose the whole left quarter.?

?Seals on number three have ruptured and we?re venting plasma, Captain,? another shout came from the same direction.

Great, that?s all I need. Whoever said being a transport captain was an easy life? Looking down at the sensor screens again showed that the bombers were still in their slow turns, going back to start another run. The push of a few buttons and the damage reports popped up on the next screen, showing the alarming rate at which the plasma was leaking out. Chances are the crude ion cannons wouldn?t ignite the plasma, but a s

5. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    More...ppl...should...read...this...

UP

6. Plo Time

Plo Time Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2000
    I have just decided to make my first fan film. My title is not great but when I finish the script I will find a more suitable title.It's going to have some awesome fighting and plot twists. Well, I just want you guys to give me input on what you guys think of my plotline. The story is about two boys that are very good freinds and they both have Jedi abilities,their names are Druce Koriban and Che-Ma Char. Korriban(12) has been rejected by the Council to train because of his attitude and clouded future. Char(14) is accepted because Master Yoda forsees he will become a great Jedi Knight. Koriban falls into the hands of ......... and his hatred of the Jedi swells because of his rejection and new views. Char continues to train for a few months, he starts experimenting with the darkside. The quick and easy way. He can't control it. He falls into the hands of a Sith. I don't want to spoil the climax. But the two boys,two best freinds, have a fight to the death to earn the respect of their masters. Well, what do you guys think so far?

7. Darth Milarc

Darth Milarc Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2000
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Plo Time:
    ...Korriban(12) has been rejected by the Council to train because of his attitude and clouded future...

Wern't these two a little too old to begin training in the arts of the Jedi? I mean, The Council wasn't going to train Anakin, and he was only nine!

Another thing: Who brought these boys before the Council to be tested?

8. Subject Zero

Subject Zero Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2000
    sounds somewhat familiar to my fanfilm.

it has the basic best friend vs. best friend thing going on there were each has a mission to accomplish but the other is in the way. So they have to choose between Loyalty to their order, and loyalty to each other.

You can see more on my website at http://bystarlight.bizland.com http://bystarlight.bizland.com

SZ

[​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Subject Zero (edited 06-24-2000).]

9. Owen

Jul 19, 1998
    Up we go. Just to make sure this doesn't get left behind in the move away from the UBB tomorrow.

10. Owen

Jul 19, 1998
    [[Okay that last post was the last of the old thread, so we can get back to writing new posts, when we have time ]]

It was a maze. A maze of identical grey corridors, flashing red lights and the echoes and screams of the ship as more ion fire grazed off it?s hull. At times sparks spewed from a control panel in a wall as the lights overhead dimmed slightly with each hit. Smoke was beginning to collect now in the ceiling as the ventilation systems shorted out in some areas. The air was filled with the putrid smell of burning insulation, charred decking and only the Force knew what else.

A maze to overload the senses and make you lose your way, but in the middle of it all Orsus kept calm. Four times now he had to turn back after making a wrong turn, since he became lost in the indistinguishable corridors, but he wasn?t phased. He knew that each time he was getting closer and closer, he could feel himself getting closer and closer. Like a homing beacon the fear and anguish of those trapped below decks in the cramped hold screamed out to him. But he couldn?t afford many more wrong turns, time was running out.

He was surprised he still had any time at all. Whilst trying to find his way through the endless corridors, he heard the echoes of the electronic screeches of a speaker that was still working a few corridors away, warning of an impending missile impact. The ship reeled and shifted its position, but the expected explosion and following bone-shattering movement never came.
    Master Docrtina at work! he thought to himself as he quickened his pace, fearing next time they might not be so lucky despite his Master?s skills.

He knew he was almost there, but he didn?t need the great rumbling of the titanic engines to tell him how close he was. With each step he could feel the vibrations of the huge machines in the decking of the floor get stronger and stronger, but also with each step that feeling of uncertain fear and hurt was even stronger still. If he was just to put out his hands he felt that he could scoop it up and watch it spill through his fingers, the emotions were so palpable he could almost taste them.

Yet again he turned another indistinct corner, but instead of finding the familiar long stretch of dull grey steal and bright white lights he was confronted with a cloud of dirty white-grey smoke. The flickering lights overhead gave an eerie illumination to the slow moving cloud, as erratic sparks gave an illusion of a silent storm waiting to lash out in fury.
    At the far end of the corridor Orsus could just make out the large doors which cut this section of the relatively safe innards of the ship from the exposed battered and beaten outer sections and external hull.
    In the few seconds that he stood there, already the cloud of smoke has obscured his view of the far end. Without wasting time he took as deep a breath as he could and crouched as low as he could without impeding movement too much, and rushed into the awaiting storm.

Sparks flew about him, biting at his skin like a swarm of small insects. The diffuse
    illumination pulsed and throbbed irregularly, trying to blind him with contrasting light. As he went deeper and deeper, the smoke got thicker and thicker. He fought off the urge to take in another deep breath as the air that he held in his lungs was escaping at a painfully slow rate. But he couldn?t give is so easily, he had to keep moving on.

He only knew that he was still going forward because he hadn?t run into a wall yet. His progress was becoming slower and more wavering down the long corridor as he tried to crouch lower to avoid the ever-sinking cloud.

I should have been there be now he thought to himself, as he was almost down on his knees. As if in reply he went headfirst into a large plate or thick durasteal.
    Blinded by the smoke and the now dead lights, he stretched out his hands to try and identify the obstacle before him. As he groped and felt his way, everywhere he touched there was the cold smooth surface that reminded of those endless almost featureless corridor walls. As the thought to tu

11. Owen

Jul 19, 1998
    Ahggg.... what happen to the last post!!!

testing...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.