main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars Blueprints: The Ultimate Collection

Discussion in 'Literature' started by LtNOWIS, Nov 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LtNOWIS

LtNOWIS Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    I haven't seen anything discussion of Star Wars Blueprints: The Ultimate Collection yet.

I would think they could just recycle a bunch of old WEG schematics, but apparently Chris Trevas is drawing new illustrations.

Fixy linky.

2. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    I was thinking the same thing--just whip out the blueprints from old sourcebooks and the original Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels--but DK probably doesn't have the rights to directly reproduce material from, respectively, WEG and Del Rey.

Obviously we'll get the same old Falcon, X-wings, TIE fighter et al, but I really hope there's also some vehicles and ships that have never been blueprinted in any sourcebook or in the DK Cross-Sections. Maybe even some that have been described in novels but never pictured at all. Yeah, that would be nice.

3. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Here comes the inevitable "re-adjust" retcon for the capital ship sizes.

LFL owns the rights to any previous schematics...especially in the case of WEG materials...any publisher of it previously has a royalty right on what they produce...but LFL owns the property and can give permission to DK if they choose.

My guess is that it will have more to do with an artistic style of the book then anything else...make it all look the same, rather then an encyclopedic compendium of different sources.

And as I said...this allows them to change things if they want.

I'd love to see some designs for late generation ships...though if they try to blueprint a Vong Worldship, I'll cry shenanigans...why waste pages on atypical rocks...honestly.

4. Valin__Kenobi

Mar 30, 2004
    Why especially WEG? Simply because they no longer exist so rights default completely back to LFL?

Also, I know this has been covered elsewhere before, but does that mean LFL could reprint the WEG guides wholesale if they liked? Perhaps as fullpage scans on Hyperspace? Obviously it's already coming out in bits and pieces there, but that's different....

5. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Well they would license out the reproduction to the publisher of choice. But in this case, rather then simply repackage the old...they're going to go new, which allows them to change things and give things a fresh and cohesive face. No doubt we'll see PT ships in the same detail and scale as OT ships...and perhaps EU stuff as well...all in the same form...makes the book better looking and a more attractive sell.

As far as hyperspace stuff...that's one way to reuse and existing commodity...tossing them up on the databank eventually would be another.

Keep us buying, keep us buying...the ones who already own WEG books...they need to appeal to us...thus brand new schematics.

6. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Well, they do still exist, but they went through a major bankruptcy and anyone they owed probably got pieces of WEG property, including, I would think, their intellectual property. Not much related to SW was owned by them, I'm sure, but I would imagine if anything was, it reverted to LFL as part of bankruptcy settlement (minus the D6 system itself).

No, I think they'd have to leave out material specifically related to the D6 system, since that's still the intellectual property of the new WEG. But yes, the majority of the sourcebooks could probably be reprinted, minus stat blocks and rules sections, verbatim by LucasFilm if they so chose. I doubt it would be profitable enough for them to bother, though.

7. danielc56

danielc56 Jedi Master star 1

May 2, 2004
    I think its going to be much more limited than that. The cover describes only five double-sided blueprints. Combined with the fact that Amazon lists the book as having 10 pages, it'll probably be limited to what's advertised on the cover.

[image=http://www.starwars.com/eu/lit/ref/img/20071105_bg.jpg]

And I thought DK Publishing couldn't get any thinner than their Visual Dictionaries (64 pages) Inside the Worlds (48 pages) and Incredible Cross-Sections (32 pages) series. Yeeesh!:mad:

danielc56

8. Valin__Kenobi

Mar 30, 2004
    :eek: Oh good gravy. You're right. I had assumed this was going to be comparable to the Incredible Cross-Sections and VisDics.

In fact, if the cover text is to be believed, it appears we have
    Death Star
    Darth Vader
    R2 and 3P0
    the Falcon
    lightsabers and blasters

:rolleyes:

Well, there goes my interest level. What a waste....

9. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    That depends on the size of the blueprints. If these are actual poster-sized blueprints, it might be a reasonable value.

If. :p

10. kttch809

kttch809 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 28, 2005
    First of all, thanks to Rogue_Follower for unlocking this thread. :)

I just got this today and my feelings are mixed, leaning towards positive.

As far as the art is concerned, I'm afraid I can't really judge, since they are, well, blueprints. It does get the job done.

In terms of the text, it points out quite a bit of standard minutiae, including Han's lucky dice :p however, there are some odd bits of trivia scattered in there. Among this there appears to be some original material, discussing exactly what types of droid brains the Falcon had, a picture of a midi-chlorian, and the extent of Threepio's memory wipe (he remembers a distorted image of young Anakin, but is unable to put a name to the face). I have a feeling that the preceding is not the full extent of this, as I've had only had a limited time to go over these.

The one gripe I have with this was the format. On each of the five posters, we get one blueprint, but the other side is a poster with 3/4 of its space devoted to a movie still. :( The rest of the space includes the title of the subject of the blueprint and three smaller movie stills with accompanying text.

Overall, despite that disappointment, I liked it and I look forward to additional sets of blueprints in the future. :)

11. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Anything else in it besides the above list?

12. CoppiceThorne

CoppiceThorne Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 6, 2008
    I was looking forward to this for awhile, until discovering about the 10 pages. I'm sure it is likely to be done nicely, just that I cannot justify spending money for that few amount of things in it. I had been dreaming about seeing some ships in there -- something like a Theta- or Lambda-class shuttle would have had me scrambling. :)

13. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    A . . . picture of a midi-chlorian? Awesome. It sounds like Windham has gotten in some really interesting material for a blueprints book -- I'm liking this guy more each day.

14. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Damn... I saw this in the store today and didn't bother to even look at it. For some reason I confused it with the old Cross-Sections books... [face_frustrated]

15. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    It sounds like a great idea, but it's a pity that the book didn't include more ships and vehicles (I think it's too short to be called "Ultimate" ;)).

16. CoppiceThorne

CoppiceThorne Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 6, 2008
    [face_laugh] Exactly, on both fronts.

17. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    http://www.dorlingkindersley-uk.co.uk/static/html/features/starwars/popupimages/3.html

[image=http://www.dorlingkindersley-uk.co.uk/static/html/features/starwars/popupimages/3.html]

DKs homepage got this beautiful preview

thx to starwars-union.de who let me notice it

there is more art out of their other works: http://www.dorlingkindersley-uk.co.uk/static/html/features/starwars/index.html

18. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    I rather liked the art in that preview. The text looks to have been recycled though.

19. HedecGa

HedecGa Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2006
    I didn't know anything about this book. Judging from the talk on here, it doesn't sound all that spectacular. So, I guess it's too much to hope that the Dusty Duck is in there, somewhere isn't it?

Sigh...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.