main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

BOARD Star Wars Board Games

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Board Game Beaver, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Board Game Beaver

Board Game Beaver Jedi Youngling

Mar 9, 2017
    Hi there,

I'm fairly new here but one of my favourite parts of the Star Wars universe is the board games that have come out recently. Imperial Assault and Rebellion in particular are incredible but I've dabbled a little in XWing Miniatures but don't think I'll have the time or capacity to play to make investing in it worthwhile.

If anybody is interested in seeing what Star Wars Board Games are available right now then I've written an article on the best available at the minute which you can find here: Best Star Wars Board Games: Board Game Beaver
    I'm also thinking about doing a post on games that are out of print now but are still great if you can find them on Ebay or charity shops.

So what Star Wars board games do you guys enjoy? How often do you get to play?

2. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000
    I don't play board games much, but Star Wars Monopoly is fun. I particularly enjoyed the PC version. These days I'm more into console based games, since I don't have anyone to play a board game with.

3. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    SW Monopoly is beast! Just plain ol Monopoly but BETTER!

4. CloneTrooper9000

CloneTrooper9000 Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2014
    I'm a big fan of almost everything Fantasy Flight is doing, I think they're giving Star Wars the treatment it deserves. Currently, I play X-Wing and Imperial Assault, but I have to say that Rebellion is my favorite. Like I tell my friends who haven't tried it, you really do get to create your own trilogy every time you play. It's meaty enough to warrant many plays, but at the same time the rules are pretty streamlined. It might possibly be my all time favorite board game.

Also, while not Fantasy Flight, I was very pleasantly surprised with Star Wars: Risk. It's Risk in name only, as the mechanics are completely different (its essentially a retheme of Star Wars: The Queens Gambit). But it's a really fun game thats not terribly hard to learn or teach and can be played in 30 to 45 minutes. If you can find a copy of the Black Box edition, it's worth the extra $$$ for the component upgrades, but the standard edition is nice too.

5. Antipode

Antipode Jedi Padawan

Apr 21, 2017
    I've been directed here for Star Wars: Sagas Edition discussion from my intro thread, though I'm worried this thread may be more intended for, well, Monopoly/Snakes & Ladders type stuff with a Star Wars motif and not tabletop RPG content. If my post doesn't fit the original intention of the thread then please alert me and I'll delete it/make my own thread.

So I've recently picked up Sagas, as mentioned! For a while I was entertaining running a d20 Revised game with a friend of mine, but we spent so much time adapting what we felt were superior rules from the Saga edition that we realized we might as well just upgrade wholesale before we got things moving. Thus far my issues with the game have been minimal - armor being just a limiting factor for every class beyond level 8-10ish is something I can't help but find strange (it docks your Reflex Defense something fierce compared to the level bonus past midlevel unless my calculations are totally off) and I wish that the skill usages and feats and such weren't so spread out through the different books. I've experienced worse trying to use D&D 3.5 and rifling through over a hundred books in the past, but blast, that gets annoying. I've been trying to compile a grand compendium of the stuff for my players' benefit so as to keep them from suffering going through book after book to pick out their talents or remember that a skill can get them out of a particular situation, but it's slow going.

Wow, I've accidentally made it sound like it's a snorefest. To clarify: I like it! The versatility of the character creation system is really awe inspiring and it's an easily modifiable system. They've got most essential (and many non-essential) races statted and there's stats for NPCs from Grievous to Thrawn.

Any other players here?