main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OKC, OK Star Wars Books

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by dtsman, Apr 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dtsman

dtsman Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2003
    Hey would anyone mind telling me the names of some of the books so I can start reading them. If there is a certain series I should start with to get firmiliar with the charactors and the order the books should go(so I wont read the last one first and the first one last. :) Right now about the only books I read are The Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter (can't wait for book 5).

2. xwing25

xwing25 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 7, 1999
    this page here http://www.theforce.net/books/reviews/novels_chrono.shtml has a good list to go by and as for starting i would start anywhere you want but i would wait to read the new jedi order tell you read some of the other books befor it

3. Silent_Jedi

Silent_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 2, 2001
    Here is the link that x is trying to send you to.

The best way to start on the novels of Star Wars is to decide what era you think you would enjoy the most. I've heard that some of the prequel novels are quite good, but for myself I've only read those post-ROTJ. If you decide that post-ROTJ is a good starting point, then you have a couple of choices of where to start.

1) Chronological order (post-ROTJ). Currently there are three "major" novels before the vaunted Thrawn Trilogy. Truce at Bakura, The Courtship of Princess Leia, and the NEW!!! Tatooine Ghost. I enjoyed all three with the glaring exception of "Courtship", while although a decent overall adventure, it was a major (I mean major) disappointment for us rabid Han/Leia fans! If you are O/C (obsessive/compulsive) like me, then read all three for completeness. I don't think you will be disappointed.

As a note, and if you are following along on the above link, you will notice I didn't mention the "X-Wing Series". I don't see these series as essential to the timeline, although they fill in some gaps. But don't dismiss them if you are looking for a good short SW book. They are quite good. I really enjoy Stackpole and his ability to write kick-ass space battles and Allston is just down-right hysterical.

2) The Thrawn Trilogy by Timothy Zahn. The holy grail of SW novels! I started here and then backtracked to "Truce". Zahn is in his own catagory here and nothing (in my opinion) in the SW novels has come close to this (except maybe the Hand of Thrawn duology by Zahn!). Zahn captures the essence of SW as well as any fan could hope for. If you read this Trilogy and are not impressed, then don't read another SW novel! The only gripe I have with Zahn is that he is personally responsible for creating the Mary (Mara) Sue of the SW Universe--he will never be forgiven for this, never. [face_devil]

3) New Jedi Order. I agree with x, don't start here. To date there are 15 novels in the series with 4 (I think) more to follow until the end. The reason not to start here is that this series takes place approx. 20 years after ROTJ. While not necessary to know what has happened within that 20 years to read the NJO series, it will certainly make it more enjoyable and understandable.
    My personal opinion of the series as a whole is mixed, some good, some bad. The series deals with stories and events that are very dark and sometimes disturbing for longtime fans. I won't discuss the NJO here, but if you are curious about the NJO there are entire boards on tf.n dedicated to it, but be forewarned, there are MAJOR spoilers.

Most importantly is to explore the SW expanded universe for yourself and form your own opinions about it. Reality is that some of the novels are not up to SW standards by any stretch of the imagination, but some are excellent and just the right escape from our world for a little bit. ;)

Enjoy and happy reading!

P.S. I won't even mention the gigabytes of fan-fiction available! :D

4. Starfig873

Starfig873 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 17, 2002
    I agree with SJ. You definitely need to check out the Thrawn trilogy and perhaps the hand of Thrawn duology.

I loved Truce at Bakura, so read that too ;)

5. dtsman

dtsman Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2003
    Wow thanks alot I will go to Barnes and Noble today and maybe start with the post-ROTJ. Or maybe my wife and I can go to the library and maybe they would carry them.

6. Silent_Jedi

Silent_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 2, 2001
    Sorry, forgot to mention that I was able to find almost all of these (with the exception of the newest ones) at the Edmond library or thru the metro library exchange.

If you have a library card, then start here

7. ASkywlkr

ASkywlkr Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2002
    Here's some of my favorites (not in any particular order):

1) Tales of the Mos Eisley Cantina - tells the back stories of all of the people/creatures that were in the cantina during the Obi-Wan/Han meeting. Great stories by many different authors.

2) Tales of Jabba's Palace - same as above, but of the characters in the Palace during the rescue of Han, etc. Great read too.

3) Tales of the Bounty Hunters - same as above, but dealing with our favorite bounty hunters from ESB and their hunt for Han Solo.

Any of the above three are great if you have a short attention span while reading. Multiple short stories in one book allow for you to read them at your own convenience.

4)The Bounty Hunter Wars - a three book series that goes into the back story of Boba Fett, Vader, Xizor (SOTE) and others. Great read!!!

5) The Han Solo Trilogy - another three book series explaining Han's background, where he came from and why he's such a badass pilot, con-artist and all-around scoundrel.

and of course -
    6) The Trawn Trilogy - the trilogy that brought Star Wars back into mainstream fiction (along with the great Dark Empire comic book series in 1991). Incredible read.

I've read each of these books listed over and over again in the past 8 years. I lost count of how many times. I own all the novels, but these are the ones I come back to while waiting for a new novel to come out. They're all in paperback now and if you check amazon.com, you can pick up some of these used in pretty good condition for under $5. Enjoy!!!

8. forcewhispers

forcewhispers Jedi Youngling

Jun 25, 2002
    I haven't read any of the NJO, but my favorites of the others are the Thrawn trilogy, the Jedi Academy Trilogy, and I, Jedi. The only one I really haven't liked is Planet of Twilight. I would skip over that one if I were you.

9. dtsman

dtsman Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2003
    Wow I am over whelmed(spelling?) with all the responses. I guess I will start with the Thrawn Trilogy. Thanks again everyone. :)

MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU ALL!!!

10. ASkywlkr

ASkywlkr Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2002
    Yeah. You know. We're just a bunch a book worms. Oh well. Never enough to read. I'd have to say my favorite book series of all time (not counting Star Wars)would have to be the Incarnations of Immortality series by Piers Anthony.

I read the first book in 1985. I picked it up on a trip with my parents at the airport book store. The picture on the front caught my attention: Death (a skeleton in a black robe) driving/flying a yellow lamborginhi in a futuristic city. The book is called "On A Pale Horse". Check out the pic here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0345338588/ref=lib_dp_TFCV/104-7938770-2517560?v=glance&s=books&vi=reader#reader-link

There are seven books total and they deal with the "Incarnations" in a futuristic environment. An interesting twist is that the incarnations are humans, chosen for the "position" as a job of an immortal. Great Series!!! Check it out.

On a Pale Horse- Death
    Bearing an Hourglass - Time
    With a Tangled Skein - Fate
    Wielding a Red Sword - War
    Being a Green Mother - Nature
    For Love of Evil - Satan
    And Eternity - God

You can also get these of amazon.com for under $5 in paperback. LMK if you read them and what you think.

11. dtsman

dtsman Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2003
    I like Piers Anthony it has been awhile since I have read some of those books. My favorite is Man from Mundania.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.