main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Star Wars capital ship-vs-capital ship games?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Ugohr Poof, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Ugohr Poof

Ugohr Poof Jedi Youngling star 1

May 11, 2016
    Of all Star Wars games I know about, none seem to be specifically about capital ship-vs-capital ship combat where you captain a capital ship in an attempt to defeat other capital ships and space stations (much like Starfleet Command I-III or Bridge Commander if you ever played those games) where one can capture other ships, target a ship subsystem, boost sensors or shields, and in SFC3, microjumps. I wonder why there seems to be no such Star Wars games... but also what kind of player wouldn't want to captain Star Destroyers (if you're a classical trilogy fan) or Droid Control Ships (if you're more of a prequel buff) in combat?

Even the closest equivalents (Empire at War) seem to have both a ground component and a space component and, while the space component does feature craft each with their own strengths and weaknesses, it does not feature the level of detail in how a captain can control a capital ship that the SFC series does.

I understand that Star Wars lore seems to be more small craft-based than capital ship-based, however, in the sense that the major canon characters seem to mostly fight in fighters or other small craft (Millenium Falcon being the best-known example) than capital ships - it seems that capital ships play more of a supporting role in SW lore (or at least those without superweapons mounted on them), despite their importance in space combat.

2. TyrannosaurTJ

TyrannosaurTJ Jedi Padawan star 1

May 7, 2016
    There are mods out there for Bridge Commander that lets you duke it out capital-to-capital ship in terms of Star Wars ships (and other media too). I do agree with your points though, there really isn't a traditional game molded around that principle of capital ship versus capital ship. I mean you get the X-Wing series of games, but that's just fighters. In X-Wing Alliance you could mod the ship list to fly like Super Star Destroyers and what not, but it's only flying and no other commands like launching fighters or whatever. I think a capital ship to capital ship game would also need tactical components too like an RTS to help balance it out as well..

3. Ugohr Poof

Ugohr Poof Jedi Youngling star 1

May 11, 2016
    That's what I liked most about SFC1-2: there were numerous tactical components. Launching fighters, ECM, shield management, boarding action being the main ones. The closest thing to playing it like a Star Wars capital ship captain would be playing as the Hydrans: compared to most SFC1-2 factions, which include four canonical Star Trek factions, Hydrans are the ones that rely most on carriers - they seem to operate capital ships much in the way Star Wars factions operate capital ships, assuming, that is, that capital ships are ships frigate-sized and up.

4. SuperBoba

SuperBoba Jedi Knight

Sep 11, 2013