main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Star Wars: Catalyst (A Rogue One Story): (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by bsmith7174, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    A light smile is something that's infinitely less frightening a HEAVY smile. Seriously, you look like Reverend Kane when you try to do that...

2. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    A heavy smile would look something like this:

[​IMG]

3. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Darth Plagueis had some typos as well.

4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    2 questions about the Separatists, specifically Mr. Poggles:

Ok, first off I gotta say I absolutely love Poggle's role in this. But I'm confused about Anakin and the Seps. Poggle is working on the Death Star, at home, hosting Moore/Dangor/Pestage et al for months if not years, and then gets called to Mustafar at the stroke of 12 to get killed by Anakin. So:

1) Don't the other Seps think it's odd Poggle and some Geonosians randomly show up at Mustafar after disappearing for so long in Republic custody? Did he just tell them he was in jail the whole time?

2) Anakin kills him, then shortly after is overseeing the Death Star project. We already know there were Geonosian guts all over the thing, Geonosians continued to work on it for a few years with the new archduke, and it was stationed at Geonosis. Isn't Anakin-now-Vader going to immediately ask himself where did this Geonosian-built machine come from? There were so many Republic-now-Empire folks working on it that certainly they can't keep it a secret from him that Poggle was there until right up to Mustafar. Unless Palpatine kills all those people. But he didn't kill Krennic. So.... I'm confused.

I guess Palpatine thinks Anakin is dumb and mopey and won't ask these questions.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Finally finished the book. Had a busy week. I enjoyed it -- it was fun, and makes me look forward to R1 even more than previously. And indeed, to the upcoming Beth Revis YA Jyn book too.

And Krennic was fantastic. More on this when I'm off mobile but...

- Greatly enjoyed the court intrigue. Luceno makes good use of the Imperial court every time, and I'm pleased to know he's continuing to use Dangor. A pleasant change from the Legends days.

-- but more substantively, it's not just court name drops but the actual intrigue we see. The intrigue was much stronger than in Tarkin -- we see Krennic/Amedda/the court on one side and Tarkin on the other. Fascinating. And the argument Amedda and Tarkin have on how the Empire should be run... I liked it a lot, and it echoes through ANH and Life Debt.

-- I love that the origin of Krennic's CAPE (or capelet, the mini early version) is to look good at court

-- fascinating info about the Imperial Senate, and I enjoyed the All Species celebration. Interesting thoughts for what seems a very republican celebration to survive into the Imperial era...

-- the Ersos were fascinating, especially Lyra. I liked her view of the Force.

-- great to see the Palace again. I'm not over it being the Temple, but I'm glad to see it referenced often

-- I'm finally on board with the kyber thing. This book did a lot to make them interesting.

More thoughts later.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Daneira, Jedi Jessy and Sinrebirth like this.
  6. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    That sounds about right. I'd guess that he probably wouldn't be too anxious to tell the rest of the Separatist Council that he'd been helping the enemy build a superwearpon. Or maybe he did tell them, with the caveat that he did he best to sabotage it before escaping.

I'm not sure I see a problem here. Would Vader really care that the Republic had employed Poggle to work on it but Poggle had betrayed them and run back to the Confederacy?

7. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Not so sure about that. In Darth Vader # 4, while investigating the remains of Geonosis, Dr. Aphra comments. "Well, it should be quieter since the planet was sterilized. No queens, no hives... Wonder what weapon they used?" When Aphra and Vader find a surviving Geonosian queen, the latter demands: "Why are you here? Has the Empire not taken enough from the Geonosians with your bombs?" (According to Vader, the answer is "no.") Also, the artwork of the destruction of the world matches a bombing of some kind, not internal warfare.

So, while internal Geonosian violence may have dented the population, the Empire did wipe them out (whether to tie up loose ends or for something else).

I did like the unique dynamic that was set up between the Ersos, but why is it a bigger deal that Lyra asked Galen out first?

Agreed.

8. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
  9. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
  10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I did like the unique dynamic that was set up between the Ersos, but why is it a bigger deal that Lyra asked Galen out first?
    [/quote]

How often, in popular stories, do you see the woman make the first move in a relationship? In this respect stories tend to reflect society, where the idea is that the man should be the one to ask a woman out, indeed women are to be 'pursued'. I like that it broke with that completely.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  11. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    The issue is the timing -- the DS was a top-secret assignment so Anakin couldn't have known about the Geonosians' involvement until he showed up on the scene shortly after as Vader, and at that time they were probably still working on the machine (since the book says they were doing it at least 5 years later). So they must have told him that the Republic had hired the Geonosians, despite what they did to him and Padme in AOTC and what they did to him, Obi-Wan, Ahsoka, and Rex in TCW. It was a secret alliance against some of his greatest enemies he didn't know about. And they can't hide the fact that Poggle ran directly to Mustafar on some sudden call immediately before Anakin arrived -- Krennic made a big dramafest over it. Wouldn't Anakin be suspicious of the timing?

Vialco likes this.
  12. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    The newest promo of Rogue One just makes the ending of the this book so much sadder .. :(
    Galen got kidnapped 15 years prior to Rogue one (15 BBY) which means that they only got 3 years together as a family on Lah'Mu before Krennic found them

Vialco and PCCViking like this.
  13. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Doesn't he get sent to Utapau first, or is that being retconned?

14. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Right -- so it would have been that meeting Poggle must have referred to when he went to hyperspace. But the series of events must have been wicked fast, because those scenes were juxtaposed with Galen and Lyra running for their lives on Lokori up until the droids get shut off. The very scene of Poggle engaging in hyperdrive to escape the DS was before the droids shut down.

Vialco likes this.
  15. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    So I guess the deal is that Poggle is captured on Geonosis in the middle of TCW season 2, spends the rest of that season and all of seasons 3, 4, and 5 (if not 6) in prison on Coruscant, and then cuts a deal with Krennic that allows him to go home and play act at building the Death Star until, let's say, a few months (at most) before ROTS, when he beats it on out of there to join the rest of the Separatist Leadership Council on, first, Utapau, and then on Mustafar, where he dies. That about it?

16. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Some iterations of Spider-Man also broke the mold; both the original movie trilogy and the Ultimate comics had Mary Jane Watson making the first move when trying to start a relationship with Peter Parker (Kitty Pryde did the same in the latter). The Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon did the same with Gwen Stacy.

17. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    I figure Palpy could explain away the timing easily enough. With Dooku dead, the Seps wanted as much of their leadership in place as they could get, so they helped Poggle escape when they did. And I can't see Vader caring too much that the Republic employed the Geonosians --- he might even find it a fitting punishment for them that they were forced to work for their enemies.

Then again --- how much does Vader actually know about Sidious having been in control of both sides of the war? It's been a decade since I read Dark Lord, but surely the old canon had him figuring it out. Has the new canon had anything to say on the subject?

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  18. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Finished it a couple of days ago. Fantastic book. This was only the second Luceno Star Wars book I have read (the other being Cloak of Deception way back in '02), although I was highly familiar with his writing with Brian Daley of the Robotech series. The book was rich and detailed with all of the Death Star stuff, and I felt like Krennic, Galen and Lyra were written so well, I could almost see and hear them and know those characters inside and out, even a month before seeing Rogue One.

I'm sure this has been pointed out, but based on various ages and story points, Catalyst spans from 21 to 17 BBY. There are references to various battles from the Clone Wars TV series, and I'm left wondering if those match with other dates people have postulated over the years.

19. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    "Send a message to the ships of the Trade Federation. All droid units must shut down immediately."

20. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    Ah, right. And Nute Gunray calls him "Lord Vader," too. In which case, Coffee's question...

Isn't a problem at all? If Vader knows that Sidious was in control of everything, then there's no reason for him to be suspicious that Poggle was being used by both sides, is there?

darklordoftech likes this.
  21. KerkKorpil

KerkKorpil Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 7, 2016

I got the Kindle edition for faster delivery since I'm in Mexico (started reading the minute Amazon's email arrived)...

Can anyone explain me the differences in the interior design? I've been puzzled...

Thanks in advance!

22. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    Aside from a couple of clunky expressions at the beginning when Luceno was writing from Lyra's perspective, this book is really, really good. I meant to read only a couple of chapters before bed last night and ended up staying up until 2am finishing it. I can't wait for the movie.

23. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    did someone on the last page say this book is boring... yeah if your an adhd action head. This was a GREAT novel that gave us critical backstory of history on a few of our characters and Jyn's parents. I loved it.

24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, as I'm only reading the print edition I don't know what you're seeing(or not) but main points are:
    • Black starfield pages with white font for Part titles
    • Images of the Death Star plans as chapter breaks
    Little points to be sure but they make the book stand out.

KerkKorpil likes this.
  25. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    I flipped through a copy of the print edition in a store yesterday, those are the only real differences. The Death Star plan pages look so good!

KerkKorpil and Jedi Ben like this.