main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Star Wars: Catalyst (A Rogue One Story): (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by bsmith7174, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007

Indeed it is, specifically the scene where Krennic visits the Erso's for dinner and brings several bottles of wine with him. That's about the only time that Orson comes over to the Erso's home and actually shares a meal with them.

2. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

Where was that in the book? I don't remember that scene.

3. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007

Following the debacle at Hypori, Orson gets the mandate from Amedda that he needs to get Galen directly involved. So Orson goes to the Erso's home for a friendly dinner and baits Lyra into going on the three month expedition to the Outer Rim with Jyn in tow so that Orson can have Galen's undivided attention and bend his ear on working directly with the kybers. It's actually a very nice scene, because for a moment it seems like Orson actually cares for the Erso's, or at least Galen, as a person and not just a tool. I think that Orson did care, at least a bit, for Galen. Orson Krennic doesn't see himself as an evil person, and it's rare in the novel, but he does have some honor and redeeming qualities. I quite liked Luceno's portrayal of him in Catalyst. Lines up very well with his portrayal in Rogue One.

Revanfan1, WMIRTUTSF and Daneira like this.
  4. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Okay. Must've shown a part of the visit that the novel didn't describe, since in the book Galen doesn't visit Jyn. That scene makes a whole lot more sense now. I understood the point in the movie was to show that Galen had a strong bond with his daughter during childhood (which makes Jyn's memories and perceptions in the novelization even more tragic), but I couldn't make sense of how it connected to the novel.

Funny how Catalyst described Galen getting a beard early on but the movie shows him clean shaven in that scene, set after. He must've changed his mind at some point in the novel.

While Krennic may have thought that he sincerely cared for the Ersos at one point, I'm not sure he did. From the beginning of the novel, Krennic's opinion is that Galen is destined to work on the Death Star and just about every interaction is manipulation of one kind or another to that end. Think about it. By the end, he's even considering murdering his "friend's" wife and kid to keep him in place. The dinner scene was him trying to separate them to keep Lyra from influencing Galen in a way that would take him from the Death Star.

By the end of the book, when Galen fled by choosing his family over his work (something Krennic can't seem to understand), Krennic, despite plotting and manipulating Galen to do something he didn't want, his feelings are: "After all I sacrificed for you, you just stabbed me in the back") The movie novelization establishes that, after having Lyra killed, he's thinks that he was generous and tried to make it easy for all and he nearly got killed when they turned against him. This, from a man planning a kidnapping.

I think that Krennic suffered from clinical sociopathy. Every interaction we see him have is filtered through how it can advance him further up the chain and all his thoughts seem to come back to him and what he wants. His only real moment where he could've had redemption is when Galen offers him a place as a non-military business partner in Catalyst. There, Krennic does seem to consider briefly walking away from the military and all his ambitions. That's really the only moment in the franchise to date that I believe he might've been friends with Galen for real at some point in time.

5. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Another hit for James Luceno. LFL needs to get this guy on writing a Dooku novel between TPM and AOTC asap!

6. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Just finished the book. While interesting I did find myself struggling to get into it (which is likely why it took me over two months to finish it). I think the problem for me was that I just didn't connect with any of the main characters in the book. The parts of the book involving Jyn were the most memorable for me but unfortunately she was a very minor character in this book.

Galen and Lyra were only in a couple scenes in the movie and I didn't really care too much about Krennic in the movie (and they were the three characters the book basically revolved around).

I'm definitely looking forward to Rebel Rising though as Jyn and Saw are two characters I feel invested in and am eager to read about.

I do like reading about non movie characters or very minor movie characters (infact I am really looking forward to Empire's End here in a few weeks as I have grown attached to all the characters in that series) but for some reason neither Galen or Lyra hit home with me.

7. Pain and Suffering

Pain and Suffering Jedi Master star 3

Mar 8, 2015
    I thought the book was not bad, although I felt I never really got into it very much until like the last 40 pages or so.

I think my favorite part was when Galen was alone with Jyn, and he realizes how obsessed and busy he’s been with his work lately. I liked Jyn in that scene. “You can be Brin if you want.” Awww…

And I have to admit that I was surprised how well Catalyst matched up with Rogue One. I thought it might not be very consistent, but it matched up nicely.

8. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    Did everyone see that they fixed Catalyst's placement on the timeline in the beginning of Empire's End? It's the right move, but it's interesting especially after they were so[​IMG][​IMG] adamant it was like that before "for a reason."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vncredleader likes this.
  9. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    I saw that and was pleased. Not that I place much faith in this timeline. For me Battlefront Twilight company should be before ANH and ESB, as most of it takes place post Hoth.

I also noticed that The Perfect Weapon placement got shafted!

10. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998

None of it takes place before ANH. And a good chunk of the novel takes place before Hoth, and the novel likely ends before Leia and Luke rejoin the fleet at the end of ESB. The placement makes more sense listing it before ESB than after it, because I don't think any of it takes place after ESB ends.

draw73 likes this.
  11. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    Sorry, you are quite right, I meant after ANH and before ESB! I still have it between the 2 films however as it to me is the best point to read the novel.

12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Was given a copy of the paperback at C8- the timeline adds Inferno Squad between ANH & HTTJ, as well as The Last Jedi after TFA. Catalyst itself is listed before LOTS & Tarkin.

13. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    I've got Catalyst after Tarkin on my timeline. The bulk of it definitely takes place before Tarkin, but I tend to line up books by their end, and I feel like the end of Catalyst is after Tarkin. Am I wrong in thinking that?

14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think so - Tarkin has just been reassigned to Sentinel Base - and it's not till later that Tarkin begins.

Catalyst is dated 22BBY-17BBY here:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Catalyst:_A_Rogue_One_Novel

And the Tarkin novel "begins" (not counting flashbacks) in 14BBY:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tarkin_(novel)

15. StoryWorthTelling

Jan 8, 2015
    I must have misread Tarkin, I'll have to take another look. I thought the ending had Tarkin being assigned to the Death Star project, and he's clearly involved in Catalyst. I don't much bother with wookieepedia's timeline and years, that takes the fun out of trying to figure it out for myself. Thanks for the insight, though, I'll have to go back to Tarkin with Catalyst in mind.

16. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    My Bloodline paperback have this one.

SWpants likes this.
  17. StoryWorthTelling

Jan 8, 2015
    Sometimes you have to wonder if the editors at Del Rey are actually paying attention to what they're putting out...

18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Hm, doesn't look like this got a review thread, but it's probably too late for one now, so I'll just post mine here.

Every new advancement in weapons of war has its beginnings as the ponderings of some scientist or mathematician. This is even the case with the deadliest of weapons, and more often than not these weapons came about not because their creator wished to create a weapon, but because they wanted to make a new scientific or engineering breakthrough. Such is the case with the Death Star’s infamous superlaser- it began as the dream of a one Galen Erso, who wanted nothing more than to better understand the catalyst of the laser’s power: kyber crystals.

We follow the lives of Galen and his wife Lyra over the course of the Clone Wars to a few years after its conclusion, and we see how they get wrapped up in the development of the Death Star by way of their friend Orson Krennic. It’s a wild ride full of action, intrigue, and science. Though this being a Luceno novel it’s lighter on the action and heavier on the dialogue and exposition, though it’s all balanced well enough that it’s still a fun story. It’s interesting enough to see how the relationship between Krennic and the Ersos evolves over the years from kinda acquaintances to close confidants to enemies. Galen is so invested in his life’s work throughout the story that he doesn’t quite ever stop to think about the direction Krennic seems to be pointing in him, which is a little intentional on Krennic’s part since he’s aware that Galen would not work on the kybers if he knew their ultimate purpose. It’s Lyra who gradually realises what Krennic’s up to, and even she needs some prodding from an associate of Krennic’s who has his own misgivings about serving the Empire. But the real interesting development is Krennic’s thoughts on his relationship with the Ersos itself. He more or less actually considers Galen a friend, but he’s definitely more interested in bringing the Death Star project to completion than anything else, and that means a vested interest in his personal standing within the Republic and then the Empire. It takes a while for Lyra and then Galen to understand this, though there are hints throughout, such as how Krennic never seems to bother learning the name of their daughter until it suits his purposes. It’s an interesting dynamic, and it ultimately pushes the entire book’s narrative, culminating in Galen and Lyra fleeing Krennic’s grasp to live in hiding.

I did find the overall development of the Death Star intriguing. It makes sense that Palpatine would put plans in motion for its construction as early as the beginning of the Clone Wars, naturally keeping everything completely secret. Perhaps Krennic and the others working on it did not see it at that point as a weapon of terror, but as the Republic evolved into the Empire they were definitely more open to its use as a drastic measure to ensure peace and order throughout the galaxy. The stuff on the kyber crystals was also interesting, especially as Galen does not feel the Force, so he cannot connect with them the way the Jedi could. But he does get that they are a force to be reckoned with, even if he never quite realises just how the Empire plans to use them.

Overall though I thought this was a really well-done story. Galen and Lyra were very interesting, as was Krennic, and even Tarkin got some good development here. At first the subplot with has Obitt didn’t seem to fit, but eventually that paid off pretty well, and even brought Saw Gerrera into the picture, setting up his relationship with the Erso family.

I give Catalyst a 9.05 out of 10 for a cool story about the man who dreamed to understand some special crystals, only to be manipulated into bringing about one of the most fearsome weapons of all time.

WebLurker and PCCViking like this.
  19. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    Actually, a healthy chunk of the book takes place before ANH. But, the main plot of the book does not, so its placement is fair.

20. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    Finally i bought this book, i am reading now Kenobi (i love read a canon-legends book, for read different SW things), after this, i will read Catalyst.

21. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    So, I really like RI and I would like to read Catalyst... but the synopsis worries me a bit as a massive PT fan, does the book retcons the scene below in any way?

That would really suck tbh.

22. StoryWorthTelling

Jan 8, 2015
    My memory is no, the plans already exist and the Empire (specifically Krennik) is going after Galen Erso to finish work on the technical stuff. Trying to be vague to not give spoilers, the plans assume science that has not been perfected yet, but Erso is an expert in that field.

23. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
  24. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Minor spoiler to answer your question... from a Seppie fan with love:

There are a ****ton of Geonosians in this book. And their role, while really a sidestory, is amusing.

Supreme Leader Woke likes this.
  25. Supreme Leader Woke

Supreme Leader Woke Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2017
    Wait, the enslavement and exploitation of a confederate race is amusing to a Seppie fan?? :confused:

I guess as long as it’s not the Muuns...

Barriss_Coffee likes this.