main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars CCG: How to Play

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by Red84, Mar 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red84

Red84 SWCCG Content Mgr. (Card Games) star 4 VIP

Oct 20, 2000
    Okay here's the rules breakdown of how to play the Star Wars Customizable Card Game (by Decipher). All this text may seem overwhelming which is why I can't stress enough that anyone who really wants to learn how to play, visit your local gaming store and ask for a demo.

1. Activate: Count the lightsaber icons on your side of all the locations and then add 1 to that total for yourself. Take a number of cards off the top of your Reserve Deck equal to that number and place them in a pile to the right of your Reserve Deck. This is called your Force Pile.

. Control Phase: It is important to state first that WHENEVER you have a total of 1 or more ability at a location and your opponent does not, then you control that location. However, it is during this phase that if you are still controlling that location you may FORCE DRAIN. When you declare a Force drain at a location you control, the opponent must lose an amount of cards equal to the total Force icons on their side of the location. There are many cards in the CCG that allow you to add to your Force drains, including some of the locations themselves. It is important not to forget that when you are Force draining.

3. Deploy: All cards (except Immediate Effects, Interrupts, and some Epic Events) can only enter play during the Deploy phase. Locations always deploy for free. All other cards have a deploy cost listed on them. On characters, vehicles, and starships the deploy cost can be found in the the little white box at the bottom, left hand corner. For everything else the deploy cost can be found in that card's gametext, usually at the very beginning. If no cost is listed, the deployment is free.

You can only deploy characters, vehicles, and starships where you either have saber icons on your side of a location OR where you have presence (total ability of 1 or more at a location). HOWEVER, Spies are not subject to these restrictions.

Capital Starships cannot deploy to sites and starfighters must deploy with a pilot. Starfighters may also deploy with or without a pilot to a docking bay.

You can deploy as many weapons and devices on a card as you wish, however that card may only use one weapon and one device per turn (except capital starships--they may use as any number of weapons and devices in a turn).

Finally, some cards have a dot (or two or three) next to their name. This means that only one copy of that card (or two or three) can be in play at once. Also there can only be one version of a unique character in play. For instance there are 5 different versions of Darth Vader in the game, but only one version of his persona can be on the table at once.

Persona Replacement: You may REPLACE a persona with another version of that persona if the new version has POWER and ABILITY at least equal to the POWER and ABILITY of the version currently on table. The new version must also obey its deployment restrictions (if any). This action is free, may occur at any location, and the replaced version goes to the Lost Pile.
    EXAMPLE: Darth Vader (from Premiere) is on table and you wish to replace him with the Dark Lord Of The Sith version (from Special Edition). Both the POWER and ABILITY is the same so you may proceed with the replacement.

Any cards deployed on or targeting the old version transfer to the new version (if applicable). Anything not applicable is lost.
    EXAMPLE: You replace the Dark Lord Of The Sith version with Lord Vader. DLOTS was being targeted by Uncontrollable Fury. Lord Vader cannot be targeted by that card, so it is lost.

4. Battle: To initiate a battle at a location you must use 1 Force and both players must have at least 1 ability at the location. Battles are split up into 3 segments--Weapons, Power, and Damage. Before the Weapons segment, your opponent gets a chance deploy or move as a 'react' with any cards which specifically say that they may do so.

WEAPONS- During this part of the battle characters may fire their weapons (if any). The player who iniates the battle gets the first chance to fir

2. Restrainingbolt

Restrainingbolt Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 12, 2002
    Just wanted to say, nice job Red! :)

R'Bolt

3. BrenDerlin

BrenDerlin Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 20, 2001
    *BUMP*

Oh, wait a second.....

:)

4. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    LOL, I had just made one of these myself; it's a bit more concise than your version, but I also added "starting the game" too:

Starting the game:

1) Play a Starting Effect (if any)

2) Play an Objective (and the cards it says to play) or a starting location.

3) Play a Starting Interrupt (if any)

Both players draw 8 cards to make a starting hand.

Dark side player takes his turn as follows:

1) Activate phase.

Count up the number of Force icons on your side of locations in play, and add 1 to that number. Move up to that many cards from your Reserve Deck to your Force pile, one at a time.

2) Control phase.

If you control a location (have 1 or more ability where your opponent does not), your opponent loses 1 Force for each Force icon on the opponent's side of that location.

3) Deploy phase.

Deploy cards from your hand to table. Characters can deploy to sites or aboard vehicles and starships. Vehicles can deploy to sites or aboard starships with capacity. Starships can deploy to systems, sectors or docking bays. When you deploy a card, you have to pay its deploy cost; move Force cards from your Force pile to your Used Pile in order to pay for cards.

4) Battle phase.

If both players occupy a location with 1 or more ability, the player whose turn it is may initiate battle there for 1 Force.

4a) Weapons segment

Both players take turn performing actions in this segment of the battle, such as firing weapons or playing Interrupts.

4b) Power segment

Add up the power total on each side. If either player has at least 4 ability participating, that player may draw a battle destiny to add to their power total.

4c) Damage segment.

The player with the lowest power total loses the battle. He then suffers battle damage equal to the difference. He must lose that much Force. Alternatively, he could forfeit participating cards from the battle location; they absorb battle damage equal to their forfeit value. If a player drew a battle destiny, the opponent must forfeit enough cards from the battle location whose forfeit totals at least that battle destiny number. Cards that are hit by weapons must also be forfeited at this time, regardless of who won the battle or if you drew a battle destiny. Forfeiting a card simultaneously satisfies battle damage, attrition and weapons hits.

5) Move phase.

You may move your cards from location to location. Each card may only make one regular move per turn. This movement generally costs 1 Force per card moved, unless the cards say differently.

6) Draw phase.

You may draw leftover cards from your Force pile into your hand.

Place your Used Pile beneath your Reserve deck, and this ends your turn. Your opponent then takes his turn following the above procedures.

5. Artie-Deco

Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
    Bib and Red, you both forgot the most important thing....

At the end of your turn, after you recirculate your used pile, you must say "The Force is with you" to your opponent!

How could you forget such an important rule?

:)

6. Bacabachaui

Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    LOL. I remember that! Does anyone ever actually do that?

7. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    I try to remember to do it in my tourneys.

8. SithDooku

SithDooku Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2002
    Is that really in the Rule Book?

9. Ultima_1

Ultima_1 Jedi Knight star 5

May 16, 2001
    Yeah, the early ones at least. I haven't actually seen anyone do it though.

10. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    Oh, I did it all the time when I played. It sure beats saying, "I'm done. You're turn." :)

11. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    I usually go about 3 or 4 rounds saying "May the Force be with you.".... then it gets reduced to "GO!"

12. BigPoppaJabba

BigPoppaJabba Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    The first time I played someone I didn't already know was when I took a deck to the gaming shop. I said "May the Force be with You" at the end of the turn. He lookled at me with a "are you on drugs?" look for aboyut a minute. I decided to point out that very imoportant rule to him. Nonetheless, he chose to never say it in the game. :(

13. SithDooku

May 7, 2002
    Thats the best!

14. BrenDerlin

BrenDerlin Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 20, 2001
    Actually, in a lot of games I play, we end up not saying much at all. If we do, it's usually me starting it. We'll basically watch what the other person is doing, and only talking to count up drains, or battle, or when it's necessary. Kinda sad, actually.

15. SithDooku

May 7, 2002
    I tend to talk with my apponents even if they don't respond, I like to tick ppl off....

16. Darth_Tynaus

Darth_Tynaus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2003
    I gotcha one that one. I'll have to print this out for me and my friends.

17. Capt_Piett

Capt_Piett Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2002
    I started saying "The Force is With You" during tournaments only when I learned it really agitated one of the regulars there.

Those are some good times, yelling over my opponent, "The Force is With You" and getting something like, "This is your last warning about that" in return. Good times. ;)

18. FunkMasterSolo

FunkMasterSolo Jedi Youngling

Mar 17, 2003
    a question: if a have an interrupt that says
    search for something in the reserve deck and that something happens not to be there, is the interrupt still lost/used or does it return to hand?

19. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    It's still lost/used. Plus, your opponent gets to look at your deck and verify that the card you're "looking" for isn't there.

20. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Yeah, the verification rule makes it so you can't really have a "free" look at your deck if you don't happen to find what you're looking for. There were even a few cards released in the Tatooine and Theed Palace sets that provided an even greater penalty if your deck gets verified.

21. Lt. Ketch

Lt. Ketch Jedi Youngling

Mar 23, 1999
    It has been almost 7 years since I have played, and this definately helps me get back into the game. Thanks.

22. tsunami_trooper

tsunami_trooper Jedi Youngling

Apr 7, 2003
    This does work for all of the games right Red

23. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Well, there's only one Star Wars CCG. Young Jedi, Jedi Knights and the WOTC game all have different rules and different cards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.