main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars CCG Online League Announcement

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by Red84, Nov 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red84

Red84 SWCCG Content Mgr. (Card Games) star 4 VIP

Oct 20, 2000
    Hey SWCCGers!

I am happy to announce that I will be taking over operation of the online league, Star Wars CCG WorldWide Ladder. If you are not familiar with this website, it is a very cool league for players who play the Star Wars CCG online through either an instant messenger or one of several available freeware gaming programs (e.g. Holotable, CCGWorkshop, GEngine).

If you haven't tried playing the CCG online with any of these programs I would like to encourage you to give it a try (I personally use Holotable). It does take a little getting used to, but the oppurtunities to play anyone in the world from your computer are very cool. Since the online programs are free, they are also a great way for new players to get into the game without having to track down the physical cards themselves. Obviouslly there is nothing like playing the game in-person, but with the game out-of-print and some players being isolated from the more heavily populated SWCCG communities, the online programs are very important to the continued survival of this game. And hopefully we can spread the game to all parts of the internatinal Star Wars community. I'd love to see gamers from areas where the CCG never really had a chance to get a foothold like South America and Asia.

For the league, I am going to be starting up some innovative competitions over the next weeks and months including the Online Star Wars Galactic Cup (with a format similar to the World Cup only with Star Wars regions), WWL championships, and hopefully tournaments complete with prize support!

If you have any ideas or suggestions, please feel free to post them here, or better yet, sign up for the WWL league (link in my sig below) and the forum and post over there.

Thanks guys!

2. Red84

Red84 SWCCG Content Mgr. (Card Games) star 4 VIP

Oct 20, 2000
    I am really excited to announce two competitions that players will be able to look forward to in 2007 and 2008! There is more info at the WWL forum, but here is the jist of that post.

The first is that starting next year, the Star Wars CCG WWL will debut seasonal play. A season will probably run from March to October. At the end of the season, both squadron and individual champions will be crowned after a series of playoffs. The playoffs will have an optional registration fee so that prizes can be given out. Prizes will range from the gamut of Star Wars-dom, from "Hyperspace" memberships at StarWars.com to prop replicas to even video games and video game consoles if we can swing that from the fee money. I'm pretty much open to any prize as long as it is related to Star Wars.

Throughout the course of next year, qualification will be going on for the inaugral Galactic Cup, which will be held in 2008. I have broken the world map up into forty regions named after key planets in the Star Wars universe. Each region is part of either The Core, Inner Rim, Mid Rim, or Outer Rim. The top three players from each region will form a team of three and be a part of either an 8-team or 16-team bracket to determine which region is the Galactic Cup Champion. The prize for this competition will probably be "glass" trophies. (NOTE: For the most part, the regions reflect the traditional regions you are used to being a part of. I did have to make some updates/changes however, but they were only a few).

I will have more detailed information on both seasonal play and the Galactic Cup (including qualifying) posted in the WWL forum shortly, so stay tuned! (You can also view the forty regions I have posted that will be used for online play--offline regions will remain the same as always.

I also want to clarify that these competitions are not tournaments per se. Games--even playoff games--will not require that every player involved in the playoff be online at the same time. Although that certainly would be cool to do, all the differing timezones would make that difficult. Timezones may be an issue anyway, but we'll have to see. Tournaments are not out of the question in the future, but hosting them will depend on the evolution of the the various online programs as well as working out other logistics. Also, it would probably be an invitational championship based on either qualification and/or individual points.

If you have never played the Star Wars CCG (either online or offline) and would like more information (or even a demo) feel free send me a PM or contact me via AIM--you can make a post here as well if you have problems with either of those methods. Learning and playing the game online is 100% free. Just be aware that all cards and the online programs are in English :) However, if you are willing to translate card texts, I am sure we could work something out (and I'm serious!)

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    The announcement of Red84 now managing the League is on the TFN main page - you can check it out here.

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    The new monthly results have been posted - you can see them here on TFN.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.