main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC19 Star Wars Celebration 2019 Hotels

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Obi Anne , May 16, 2018.

1. CaliforniaSWFan

CaliforniaSWFan Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2018
    Is it safe to assume that there will be Celebration shuttles running between the Magnificent Mile / Loop area and McCormick Place? Given that there are more hotels in the Loop area and the Magnificent Mile. I'm specifically wondering if they (shuttles) will run more often than the Green Line (for example)

2. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    I would guess it's very likely.

3. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    I was also thinking about shuttles, we need them for this adventure, I called reed about it, and of course they said" I don't know", then I took a chance and called the convention center and the hotel(Hyatt) and they said, call Reed about I week ahead of Cele. to see if they will be offering shuttle service, but maybe it's too early. Did reed offer shuttle service for the last con. that took place at McCormick?

4. ThanksBates82

ThanksBates82 Jedi Master star 1

May 10, 2003
    I couldn't tell you if they will be running shuttles, although if they end up adding another official hotel in that area, I would think it likely. I would doubt they would run more often than the Green line, which is roughly 20 minutes in between trains.

5. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Keep in mind that even if shuttles are running, there are going to be so many people using them that it might not even be worth it. Unless obviously you don't have any other choice. But if at certain times you can get to McCormick quicker on your own than by waiting for the bus, why wouldn't you?

6. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Yeah, I've thought of this. Even if it is free, they would need a lot of shuttles to accommodate the demand to make it worth it. Uber and the L train seem like reasonable options.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  7. Mr_Mundi

Mr_Mundi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
  8. j-jawa3

Sep 4, 2004
    With almost all the tickets sold out-very quickly, Reed has plenty of time to consider shuttles , but maybe they will only service the hotels listed on onPeak.

9. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Well, I think that's a given.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  10. Mr_Mundi

May 24, 2002
    Previously it hasn't worked like that.
    Official hotels have had the schedule listed for guests to see, but when the bus stops, fans from all the nearest hotels gather to board it. It doesn't matter if you are staying at an official hotel or not. Heck, when I used it, the driver didn't even care if you had a badge for Celebration or not.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  11. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Yeah, but I assume the actual stops were at hotels they had blocked? They weren't stopping at hotels they didn't have a block for.

12. Mr_Mundi

May 24, 2002
    Yes, but back when I used it, the official hotels was fairly spread out, so whether you were staying at an official hotel or not you were able to jump on the shuttle.

13. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Which, as @MotivateR5D4 suggested, may make this not that viable an option due to demand.

14. Mr_Mundi

May 24, 2002
    That may be, but the option is there... unless they should just be running empty.
    Again, unless something has changed, then the driver doesn't check the passengers, meaning people from nonofficial hotels have the same chance for a place on the shuttle as those who stay in official hotels.

Demand is more a matter of where on the route your hotel is. If your hotel is early on the shuttles route, then your chance of getting on is better, than if your hotel is last on the route, whether your hotel is official or not.

15. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    You could always hire one of those dudes who bikes around on one of those big tricycles with a passenger carriage in tow that's decked out in neon Christmas lights. Some of them even have music playing!

Is that a thing in Chicago? I bet you could make some good bank doing that around McCormick whenever they have a big convention.

16. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    They used to have those in London (minus the Christmas lights). I took one once. Lots of fun. Don't know if they are still around though.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  17. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Just got lucky and added 2 more nights to my Marriott bookings. Only need 2 more now and I'll be set. Sometimes it pays to be up at 1am on a work night [face_laugh]

LAJ_FETT and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  18. zcure1

zcure1 Jedi Master star 2

Sep 10, 2013
    That is good. Since you are the unique position of trying to add days are you calling either the hotel or the on peak number directly ? or did you just load up the On Peak page and noticed an availability ? I keep looking to see if something opens up on the site, but wonder if I should be calling the On Peak number.

19. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Just using the OnPeak site and checking if extra days are available.

20. torjoreyri

torjoreyri Jedi Knight star 1

May 9, 2014
    lolwut. I just did the same. I've been checking to see if the hotel becomes "available," but was just now able to swap my friday checkin to thursday.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  21. j-jawa3

Sep 4, 2004
    Pretty sad that a lot of people have to go through so much trouble this time, so early just to get a hotel for this Cele. Does anyone have ideas on a better place to have Cele.? I wonder if Indianapolis has improved their convention center area, there a lots of hotels next to the con. center. I had heard that the con. center in Indianapolis had said no to sponsoring anymore Cele. due to the mess everyone left the day after G.L. had appeared. It was very bad!

22. EnviousSerious-Rue

EnviousSerious-Rue Jedi Master star 2

May 4, 2009
    Is there another thread explaining the debacle at Indianapolis Celebration?
    Just curious because I didn't attend my first Celebration until CV.

23. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    There might be something in the depths of this forum.

Edit - looks like the threads during/after C3 start around page 43/44 of this forum.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  24. EnviousSerious-Rue

EnviousSerious-Rue Jedi Master star 2

May 4, 2009
  25. j-jawa3

Sep 4, 2004
    I just attended a small "nerdicon' (as it was referred to) in Puyallup WA.. yesterday, there I found 501st and Rebel Legion personnel. I asked how many of them were considering next the year Cele. and they weren't sure. I asked about the hotel reservations for the groups and I guess these have already been dealt with by Lucasfilm. they said Lucas takes care of these things for them. but as for individually, not too many said they were going. and yes, Indianapolis may have been a mess for some, but I would do it again, unity, comeraderie, soaking wet, who knows.