main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CJ25 Star Wars Celebration (social thread)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Disciple-of-Tython, Apr 16, 2017.

1. jerejerebinks

jerejerebinks Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 24, 2017
    A
    Not familiar with this - what was that?

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Wiki. There was also a behind-the-scenes webcam feed during the making of SW:RoTS.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  3. ThanksBates82

ThanksBates82 Jedi Master star 1

May 10, 2003
    I signed up for Hyperspace just for the added benefits we got for C3... bring it back!

Padme501st likes this.
  4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I had it as well but as I was on dial-up at that point it took ages for webcam images to download. However I didn't benefit from the free Insider subscription - that was US-only.

5. JediDotNet

JediDotNet Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    How about online ordering including ordering after the show is over.

6. groove790

groove790 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 16, 2010
    They are using the West building according to the Reed site. http://www.reedpop.com/Events/Star-Wars-Celebration/

My guess is they will use the other buildings for queuing and not host a huge event on Thursday.

I'm afraid this will be the first one I have to sit out for since 2010. I don't know if I can pull it off for several reasons. I wish they would not do it so close to the Star Wars Half Marathon. I am planning on doing that again and after the last Celebration the marathon is higher on my priority list. The fact that it is a 5 day con this time may give me a chance to hit Sunday and Monday.

I understand Chicago because it is an amazing venue as far as the convention center size but COME ON.. APRIL in Chicago... REALLY!?!? No one wants to be in Chicago in April. 40 degrees and rain sounds like fun. Of course if it were back in Orlando I'd be complaining about the heat.

Guidman likes this.
  7. ThanksBates82

May 10, 2003
    To be honest, you can have weather anywhere between 30 degrees and 80 degrees. It could be perfect, or it could be hell lol.

8. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    Yup. Cooler is more likely, but it can fluctuate. Heck, it could be 30 on Thursday and 70 on the weekend.

9. ThanksBates82

May 10, 2003
    I do Wizard World here every year in August, and I think I would prefer the cooler weather. That is a ton of sweaty, stinky people. As long as there isn't any precipitation it should be fine.

10. JediDotNet

Oct 31, 2012
    I will give up the warmth outside for actual space inside and not have to sleep overnight on concrete floors. Dont get me wrong had a good time at Orlando, but was awfully difficult to get into Last Jedi panel. To be able to walk into line a few hours early and then into 10,000 seat arena like we did with Force Awakens makes the weather a non issue.

11. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    Basically was a fan club membership, complete with a yearly kit mailed out to you, and an exclusive site that had limited contents. It was during the time of the prequels and they would post videos from behind the scenes while the movie was in production. The ROTS DVD actually has the videos from it on there, except as a Hyperspace member you saw it way before anyone else. And like mentioned, I believed you got a yearlong subscription to SW insider.

For Celebration it meant going in early or even a day early. You had your own queue just for members and they were let in first. Think exclusive access places like Universal and Disney give to people who stay at their resort vs people just going to the park that day. I think you also got something at the store but I can’t remember, it’s been over 10 years.

12. JediDotNet

Oct 31, 2012
    I think that Anaheim was also in the running to host it. On the ReedPop site the page that indicates the date and location which now says Chicago and West building the content also says the following:

"There has never been a more exciting time to be a Star Wars fan. Star Wars Celebration in Anaheim, CA will bring fans of all ages together, from all around the world, to celebrate the pop culture phenomenon that is Star Wars — all on the cusp of new Star Wars movies and television shows!" then in small letters underneath it says "as of 5/18"

13. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Maybe, but judging by the fact they have the SWCA trailer on the page it might be that they've just not updated the summary since then and the 5/18 is just when they added the SWCC logo and date to the page. Does anyone know what it said last year? (or even last month?)

14. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    That was such a different time though. I don't think that's something that could realistically be implemented nowadays, just with the sheer amount of people who would want it for the sake of making their Celebration easier.

I thought about that too. There is even a growing movement in Major League Baseball to eliminate season opening series on the east coast specifically because it is often so cold that time of year. So that thinking would obviously apply to any major events happening around that time, including Celebration. And is yet another reason I want a hotel close by.

The website itself was just the same thank you page from last year. And I'm pretty sure the general ReedPop site just had last year's logo and then "2019 TBD".

ChrisLyne likes this.
  15. JediDotNet

Oct 31, 2012
    Reason I think the summary is updated is because it mentions new movies and television shows.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  16. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    True but SWCA was on the cusp of new movies (TFA, RO) and, whilst not technically new, Rebels season 2 premiered there.
    You could be right, there were plenty of rumours from big sites saying Anaheim so it was definitely in the running, it just seems odd to have copy typed up like that before details are finalised and, if it was already written, that's a major fail by the editor.

17. JediDotNet

Oct 31, 2012
    It is ReedPop who has made mistakes before. An example: At Anaheim my son and I were in a Queue to see ROTS in 3d (only time it has ever been shown in 3d) and ReedPop skipped our room and filled the remaining spaces with people in the hall. When our room finally went out and said hey when do we get to go own they were like Oh @#%R$# because the room it was being screened at was full. So they gave us each a pin.

Padme501st likes this.
  18. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    That's true (and Disney did something similar at last year's D23). I guess something like that I can understand more, it shouldn't happen and there's no excuse for it but at a big event with lots of stuff happening and things changing on the ground I can see how mistakes are made. This is just a simple proof read if it isn't the old summary.

19. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    That page has been up like that for a while now and hasn't changed since the Orlando logo was put on it. I don't think what is on it has anything to do with what has happened recently. And it may just as quick disappear any day now once they're web people realize it's probably easier to craft another page entirely.

Sorry to hear you were in that. That was definitely on another level when it comes to convention muck ups.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  20. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    Wish they were having it in Orlando or Anaheim again,unless I can get a room in the Regency Hyatt at the Con. Center, I'm not going. safety is paramount. my husband fears for my life there, he is from Chicago and cannot come with me. safety is a consideration. I'm not trying to be negative either.

21. ThanksBates82

May 10, 2003
    I personally think that is a bit of an exaggeration, its not THAT dangerous. No more dangerous than any other place, but to each his own.

22. ThanksBates82

May 10, 2003
    I don’t mean to impugne your husband’s judgement, I’d feel the same about my fiance going to an unknown city, as she would me. I just think of all the bad areas here in Chicago ( I was born, raised, and still live here) this isn’t anywhere near the worst.

firesaber and ChrisLyne like this.
  23. torjoreyri

torjoreyri Jedi Knight star 1

May 9, 2014
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_..._by_crime_rate#Crime_rates_per_100,000_people

A big reason for the reports of crime in Chicago is because it's such a big city. Broken down by crimes per capita, it's not nearly as bad. Not to knock St Louis, they have the best arch I've ever seen there, but according to the 2015 numbers, they had 5,761 violent crimes while Chicago had almost 25,000. But Chicago has a population 8x more than St. Louis and only had 4x more crime, so they actually have half the crime rate.

The convention center itself will be entirely safe, and travelling to/from hotels on whatever shuttles they have will be door-to-door and with a group, which decreases the risk substantially.

That being said, I still get nervous walking around the city at night by myself and always keep a look out.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  24. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    I think as long as you're sensible things will be fine. Everywhere has crime, especially big cities, but I don't think Chicago is any better or worse than anywhere else. Obviously don't take unnecessary risks, but don't let fear stop you from doing something you'll love either.

25. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    I have to think the L train will be packed with SW fans going to the loop or wherever, which should keep things safe. I know it's tougher for a woman traveling alone, but I don't think it's any more dangerous than the other big cities.