main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CJ25 Star Wars Celebration (social thread)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Disciple-of-Tython, Apr 16, 2017.

1. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    They're probably just sold out, can't see them being linked to the adult tickets that much.

2. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    It will be interesting to see how long the other badges last now. The only info we have is that Thursday was 60% sold out a couple of days ago. With the inability to buy each day now, things may slow a tad.

3. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I agree. There's probably a lot of people out there who have pulled the plug on wanting to go now that they can't go all days. I would imagine the majority of tickets purchased from here on out will be from people in that immediate geographical area who don't mind attending single days, or attending the whole con but just skipping Saturday. Very few people from further out than are going to still decide to do that.

4. EnviousSerious-Rue

EnviousSerious-Rue Jedi Master star 2

May 4, 2009
    I apologize for going off topic here. I have a quickie question.
    Is there a "Celebration Primer" posted on any thread? Please direct me there, if possible.
    Everything that has been spoken about, would aid present and future SW Fans who are new to this event.
    CV was my first, and I didn't have a clue. After reading hundreds of threads, I became overwhelmed with so many
    different opinions. I just went to experience it first hand and became a novice. But a helpful guide would have been better.
    Jessica Brawner had written, "The Official Dragon Con Survival Guide". And it is great reading for a newbie, which added
    both pro's and con's on attending Atlanta's largest convention..
    Maybe a new topic entitled: "How to Prepare for Your First Celebration", might be a start.
    Simply a suggestion.

5. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    I think it's probably best to hold off until we have a better idea of how things will be run. There is a lot of speculation right now that could easily cause advice to get thrown out the window. For example, last week I would have told people not to worry about 5 day passes selling out right away.

EnviousSerious-Rue likes this.
  6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    The only ones I've been to have been in London. I haven't been to a US one.

7. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Totally unrelated to Celebration, but if anyone is interested, the majority of the live stream content at E3 is set to begin on youtube today and continue over the course of the next two days. All the major game company press conferences and interviews with a lot of the big names in gaming. With more limited content then being streamed later in the week.

I don't know, I'm not even much of a gamer. But I like having such an inside look at a really cool convention/trade show. A lot of the content and previews and hearing people talk about it is just cool to watch, and you feel like you're there. Few conventions are covered as thoroughly as E3 in terms of the amount of in depth live stream coverage throughout the duration of the event. To be honest, the only other comparison I can think is Star Wars Celebration in terms of what the live stream looks like and offers. So if anyone's bored today or tomorrow, this is a good way to kill some time and check out a cool event.

8. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I'm not a gamer, everything after Supernintendo has been too complicated for me.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  9. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    I'm the same way. I have an NES and SNES classic that I like to break out, but I don't play much in terms of modern games outside of Madden and the Batman Arkham games. My PS4 is mainly a video player. That new Star Wars game and the upcoming Spider-Man have grabbed my interest though. Battlefront just doesn't appeal to me for whatever reason.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  10. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    With that in mind, this may free up rooms at the convention hotels if people cannot get tickets and cannot wait to buy them from other people...

11. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    A sad situation!

12. superstardestroyer-1

superstardestroyer-1 Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 20, 2002
    Hello. This will be my first celebration. I bought Saturday (thinking ahead). I'm debating between buying Friday or Sunday to go with it. Any guesses as to how long the Friday passes will last? Was trying to spread out these purchases.

Think Friday is better to attend than Sunday? I'm guessing so.

Thanks!

13. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    If you are interested in big panels, Friday is likely better than Sunday. It's impossible to say how long Friday passes will last since we don't have any sales data. Keep an eye on social media as they've been good about posting when something is closing in on a sellout.

Also, if you need a hotel, book something now that gives you the option to cancel for free if need be.

14. superstardestroyer-1

May 20, 2002
    Thanks for the info. I plan on staying with a friend myself, but might be good to get something booked in the area now just in case he flakes out. I bought him a Saturday ticket.

15. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Go with Friday. It will be day one of actual programming, which means a lot of fervor and excitement, especially after the opening panel for Episode 9 kicks everything off. The crowd will just be buzzing. It will be a lot of fun. By Sunday a lot of that will have calmed down.

Oh, and they've been pretty open about the percentage of passes left for each day. So even if they don't tweet it, you might be able to call them and they could tell you how fast Friday is selling.

superstardestroyer-1 likes this.
  16. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    I thought the same. If people reserved rooms before buying tickets (since there's no cost to reserving rooms) then we may see some cancellations now that people can't get tickets for all 5 days anymore.

Still can't quite believe the demand there's been this time. It's really getting me hyped up for it!

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  17. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    I've been watching and haven't come across cancellations yet.

18. Darthbane2007

Oct 31, 2007

Well, it's still relatively early. We might start seeing them as we get closer to April...

19. superstardestroyer-1

May 20, 2002
    I picked up a Friday ticket and added on a hotel room just in case my Chicago friend backs out on having a room for me.

Now, I just need Southwest to open up airfare through April! Not having airfare booked is going to stress me out. Southwest is pretty much the only real affordable option to get from my city to Chicago.

Swtorista likes this.
  20. Darthbane2007

Oct 31, 2007
    They usually have affordable prices...

21. EnviousSerious-Rue

EnviousSerious-Rue Jedi Master star 2

May 4, 2009
    It's so weird where I live. You can book 2 to 10 flights directly to Chicago for reasonable rates ($199), round trip almost any day of the week in Michigan. I've had friends drive to my home from 200 miles away to take a flight out of our airport because it was so much cheaper. And this was flying American Airlines. My friends saved $137 per person.

22. Luke Floorwalker

Luke Floorwalker Jedi Youngling

Jun 12, 2018
    Hello everyone
    Long time reader first post. I wanted to put on here my experience so far.

I will be travelling in from the UK.This will be my 3rd Celebration (UK & Orlando).

I managed to get on the ticket site straight away on opening I had the chance of VIP this time (1st time) but declined as I could not justify the price so decided on a 5 day.I then had to decide on hotels. The choice I had was stay close to the convention centre and pay the $100 return transfer to the airport or rent a car and stay further out. Well,when the hotels went up I lost out because days kept on disappearing as quick as I was trying too book them (I'm staying for 7 days Mon-Mon). I am now staying near Midway airport in The Hyatt Regency which I managed to get for less than $100 a night with free breakfast and parking.

I now had to decide how to travel to the convention centre. I am going to rent a car so the next thing was to secure parking, as I am not a great lover of public transport, I managed to get parking from Parkwhiz.com for $21 a day and that is just opposite the convention centre. It still worked out cheaper than some of the hotels that were listed on the Onpeak site.
    It's been positive so far.I'm happy with my choices and if it helps anyone else still deciding then that's a good thing.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  23. Luke Floorwalker

Luke Floorwalker Jedi Youngling

Jun 12, 2018
    And now for my second post.
    The first Celebration I went to was London 2016. I only managed to get the Sunday ticket.I had low expectations but I decided to try the best I could. I got there 2 hours before doors opened and spoke to lots of people in the queue about the layout inside especially regarding autographs and how the queues worked for the panels and the exclusives. So this is what I achieved, Mark Hamill's autograph,all the merch I wanted from the celebration shop,the closing ceremony 6 rows from the front and all of the exclusives.
    So only if you have limited days most things are achievable its all about planning and luck. Don't be put off by not having Saturday.I always found it the worse day as its overpacked. Sunday was always my favourite.

24. ThanksBates82

ThanksBates82 Jedi Master star 1

May 10, 2003
    For parking, I also recommend the SpotHero App. It isn't ALWAYS cheaper, but considering some hotels are charging $70 per night to park, this might be a better option. If nothing is available, its only a quick search on the app so nothing more than a minute lost in the attempt. Might be worth a try for some people.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  25. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Yeah, I'm definitely planning on this.