main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CJ25 Star Wars Celebration (social thread)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Disciple-of-Tython, Apr 16, 2017.

1. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    Cool. I haven't been to Anaheim, so I don't know anything about hotel options.

2. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Yikes! You really think they’d actually go for charged panels/events?

I guess it would take away the massive lines (and maybe some of the demand for VIP since you’d be able to secure the panels you wanted, depending on sell outs of course) but I can’t see it being a popular move.

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I don't think they'd go that route, especially if the schedule isn't final until after tickets go on sale.

4. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    They had a survey after Orlando asking about interest in this. I could see them doing something like 300 VIPs with front-center seats, and maybe 1,000-1,500 with panel entry and then the rest for campers. It's extra revenue with no real added expense.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    If they are going to go that route they'd better sort out the security lines - people who pay for panels aren't going to be happy if they spend half the panel time in long lines.

firesaber and ChrisLyne like this.
  6. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Yeah, you'd have to have a separate line like you do for VIPs.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  7. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Ok. I guess a mix between sold seats & over night queue could work but it’d be a very tricky balance (as the last few Celebrations have shown, you’ll never be able to please everyone.

Plus, like LAJ_Fett says, the fact the schedule won’t be fixed until much later could also be an issue. If they sell panel access is it a free for all, priority for those who bought tickets earliest (and if so, single cut off, batches?). Lots of potential for upset.

8. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Well, I think the idea would be it being like a sub-VIP that gives you entry to all the panels without the other VIP perks. Not buying individual panels as an add-on. At least that's how I understood it in the survey.

Yeah, selling individual panel tickets to anyone would be chaos.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  9. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    So basically reintroducing a cheaper version of the old Jedi Knight tickets? Just with more panels (think last time it was just one of the stages) and none of the other extras

10. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Yeah, I'd be down for that.

11. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    Yeah the survey is where I got that from but if and how they would proceed is a mystery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisLyne likes this.
  12. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I don't see them selling access to specific panels. No convention does that and I don't see Star Wars Celebration as setting the precedent for it to be done anywhere. If anything, I could see them doing lottery drawings that you have to enter online ahead of time. And if you get picked, then you can pick up your wristband at a separate desk for it after showing proof that you were drawn in the lottery. At Wondercon this year they are introducing an online based lottery system for all autograph sessions, rather than having people queue up on site, which was originally how they did it. Some people are speculating that if it is successful, then they might do the same thing for SDCC, since they are run by the same company. Which, if that then becomes successful, would most likely be done for the crazy popular Hall H panels that people line up for literally days in advance.

I do think that a middle tier ticketing option would be nice to grant access to certain things that the average attendee wouldm't get but not quite provide the full blown VIP experience.

Personally, particularly with Star Wars Celebration, I've come to really enjoy the overnight queuing. I have a handful of really good friends now that I met at the overnights in 2015 and 2017. It's way different from other conventions, because it's not thousands of people there for thousands of different reasons. It's thousands of people there all for ONE reason, and that really brings a strong sense of community there that you just don't get at other conventions. So I honestly hope that doesn't get taken away and that it's just up to people to line up as soon as they see fit for themselves. The only problem in Orlando last year was the size of the main panel hall. Which I think we would all unanimously agree would have been easily resolved had it been in Anaheim like it was two years prior. Having a big arena to host the major panels, whether it's in Anaheim or elsewhere, would solve this issue entirely.

As far as my prediction goes, if I had to put money on it, I would probably go with Anaheim. But I'm going to go out on a limb and still say that it won't be in Anaheim or Orlando.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    Padme501st and ChrisLyne like this.
  13. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    I'll be pretty furious if they went to a lottery system. My main reason for going would be for the Episode IX panel (and really panels in general). If I buy tickets in May and 10 months later find out I lost a lottery and am out of luck, I'll be really disappointed.

I don't mind waiting in line overnight and earning it because I "want it more". I just hate the idea of having that control completely taken out of my hands. I don't want to buy a badge, plane ticket and hotel and then not be able to do the things I really want to do.

I kind of like waiting in convention lines anyway because it's not too often I find fellow nerds as hardcore as I am.

MotivateR5D4 and ChrisLyne like this.
  14. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I was just throwing the idea out there as something they could potentially do. I don't know, something just doesn't sit right with me when I think of potentially having to pay more just attend the specific events I want to attend.

15. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Yeah, I know. It wouldn't shock me if things go that route. If they did that and I couldn't get VIP, then I don't know if I would spend the money to go. Say you had 30,000 people enter the lottery for a 7,500 seat room (and I think a lot more people than that attend each day). You're looking at a 1 in 4 shot. I don't like those odds.

16. Padme501st

Sep 4, 2006
    Celebration used to be just really big fans for the majority and you had a sense of unity with everyone around you. Nowadays, with the popularity of conventions as a whole and SW, it's about half and half with casual fans or people who are doing it for YouTube views. However overnight queuing is something those people wouldn't do and that sense of camaraderie and unity at sharing one love for something with a group of people is very much still there. With the popularity and demand that overnight queuing was shown in Orlando, I don't see it taken away unless it's a safety issue. I seriously doubt they expected to have that many people that fast prior to opening day in line. So maybe now knowing that may change things. But I doubt it. It creates buzz and that's what Celebration lives on at the end of the day.

I think it would be fun to have it somewhere new. I'm always up for travel lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  17. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Celebrations have grown so big now that they have lost some of that old feeling of being in one big fan-family. Personally I'm not up for overnight queuing when I have paid a lot for an hotel room and I still prefer just the smaller panels, but even those have started to require a lot of waiting.

There are already so many good guesses here, but I will try

Announcement: May 4th
    Tickets on sale: May 28th (let the hype grow over the the Solo opening weekend)
    Date: April 18-21
    Tickets: $175
    VIP tickets: $1200

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    CaptainRegor and Valency Jane like this.
  18. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    I think some of the cons here in the UK do this but I can't say how successful/popular it is (plus the daily ticket is like £15 not $70). Personally I agree with you, it just doesn't feel right. I think it sets a bad precedent and would hate to see Celebration go that way.

Have to agree here. It comes down to control. I enjoyed the overnight experience in London, but really that was just one night. I don't like the sound of what happened in Orlando (missing some of day 1 to queue for day 2's main panel). The line for day 2 definitely shouldn't be allowed to start before day 1 has ended, plus there needs to be something in place (like a buddy system or something) so people can at least run back to their hotel room and shower without losing their place in line. But the point is, people had the option/chance to do it if they wanted to. A lottery takes that away.

Personally I'd take pay in advance for panels over a lottery.

And there's this. I was lucky enough to be in the room for the Rogue One panel in 2016, it was fantastic, but more than Krennic marching in flanked by Death Troopers, I remember making friends in the overnight line for that panel. People I'm still friends with now. It was that experience that made me want to come to a US Celebration and it's why I can't wait for Celebration 2019.

I do think London managed the over night line better though. There was no cut off time for the doors to close, people could just filter in throughout the night. It meant that in the morning there was no massive queue outside waiting for the doors to open/go through security as you just came straight in and through security when you arrived.

Do the other major cons (SDCC, NYCC, etc.) have the same problem getting people though the doors and security in the mornings? The only cons I've ever read about this happening at are Celebration and D23.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  19. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    The overnight queue at Celebration Anaheim was exactly how you described London was. Open all night, people could come and go. For the most part you could even leave for a little while and come back and nobody around you would have a problem with it. Just make friends, we're all in it together.

The only major issue that came from that, however, was when all the queue chutes were condensed and people began arriving later in the morning. Because they went ahead and allowed newcomers to just fill in any remaining space in each chute, which resulted in a lot of people going in front of other people who had waited all night, just based on the specific chute being let in. Point being, there's always going to be some kind of issue no matter what happens. But at the end of the day, people forgot about it once everyone got into the panel hall, because everyone fit.

As far as other conventions go, it's mostly the same thing. I've done several overnights at SDCC the last two years and for the most part it's the same. People just line up when they please, you can come and go. With that one you have to line up days in advance for certain things though. That's no exaggeration. You'll see people lined up on Thursday for Saturday's Hall H panels. I can't judge, because if Star Wars ever became that popular, I'd probably do something like that too. But for other stuff going on, lining up overnight is pretty simple and like you would expect. It's all one big line that then gets separated into more specific lines in the morning, and for the most part, you're able to keep you place in whichever line you're trying to get into.

I do recall hearing about and seeing youtube videos of the line at D23. I went to that on Sunday so fortunately I didn't get stuck in the line, but I knew people that did. But line issues aren't just limited to Anaheim. Check out some of the line issues from last year's Anime Expo and E3 Expo at the Los Angeles Convention Center for other examples of how poorly line management can be at the opening of other conventions. A lot of people call it Line Con, it happens at most major conventions, and it's just a part of it now. Get there early or get there late if you don't want to be in it is about all the advice anyone can give at this point because it's just unavoidable. And regardless of any resolutions put forth, another problem will just take the place of the previous one.

I don't mind a slow moving line. I just hate seeing people run ahead of everyone else when the line finally starts moving. I saw a lot of that in Orlando that first morning. Seeing people occupy rows up front who were well behind in the line. That was a big error on their part in cutting corners on staffing and not monitoring that kind of thing. That's definitely something that does not happen at SDCC, it's a pretty well policed event by both staff and attendees.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  20. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    This video is pretty good.

21. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Much better. If there's a legitimate reason that this can be done in Anaheim and not in Orlando then that alone says to me that Anaheim is the better venue. Especially as the over night queues are starting to become multiple night events.

Yeah, I remember that happened at least one morning (probably more) in London as well. But it was for general entry, not wristband distribution. I get the frustration as it meant you may not get as good a seat or in the store queue as fast as someone who arrived later. But you had your wristband, you weren't going to lose your seat because of it. Definitely an area for improvement though.

Thanks! I knew Hall H was crazy but I hadn't heard about the entrance lines at other cons. Crazy!!
    The running happened in London to. Once you had wristbands it was just one big general entry queue. Maybe if they separated the main panel queue right at the start and led that to the hall queue area at opening? Not sure if they did that in the US, they couldn't really in London as the a Rogue One panel was at the end of the day instead of the start.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  22. CaptainRegor

CaptainRegor Jedi Master star 3

Nov 15, 2012
    I can't wait to hear some news! Even though I expect it to be in the US and I cannot afford to go there, the live stream is great! When Celebration is around I find that even if you aren't there the fandom has an extra fun spark to it

23. Padme501st

Sep 4, 2006
    I wish Celebration VIP could be like other cons VIP like Megacon where it's packaged with some actors auto. Like have certain actors that get those. Personally I would be ok with paying say $700 for a Mark auto (since I need one) get a VIP pass for lines and panels (omitting the big one like TLJ and 40th but including all others like animated series panel and premiere or actors panels). Like in Orlando, Hayden could have been $300 for auto and VIP, Felicity could have been $450 (she was more expensive). Add 1 fastlane to the store and bam. I feel people would be happy with that.
    Only do it for "big name" actors and maybe still carry the full VIP that get exclusive day prior shopping and VIP for the big panels too and all that other stuff for people that want it.

24. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    That's definitely something they could do to add value to the VIP tickets but I think removing the major panels would be a deal breaker. The major panels that require the over night queues are the main appeal of VIP seating, the others you could get wristbands for on the mornings. If you have VIP but still need to over night it takes away a lot of the VIP appeal (at least for me personally).

Out of curiosity I decided to take a look back at the last few VIP packages and prices.

From CV to CA2015, the US Celebrations always had both Jedi Knights and Jedi Masters.

Knights received VIP badges, lanyards & t-shirts, a show guide & poster (in tube), a dedicated VIP entrance along with half hour early access to both the exhibit hall and show floor, 5% off store purchases & express checkout in the show store, express lane for up to 3 autographs and reserved seating for the Celebrity Stage. Show store preview night was added in 2012. I know they also have express store access but not sure when that was introduced as it wasn't listed on the perks.

Masters added a VIP hat, celebrity meet & greets (initially Dave Filoni & CW voice actors), VIP art print (initially by Filoni), a 10% show store discount plus personal shopper, express lane for 6 autographs and reserved seating for both Celebrity and Digital stages.

Europe in 2013 and 2016 had only Jedi Master level. This was available in US Jedi Knight quantities. It offered the same as US Jedi Master but without any store discount, no personal shopper and no VIP hat.

Orlando 2017 did away with the Jedi Knight level and offered the same Jedi Master package from the European celebrations. Because of this the price was about half way between 2015's Knight and Master levels.

So going back to the idea of paying for panel access and re-introducing Jedi Knight level, assuming the Jedi Master package stays the same (and stays around the 300-350 level), what about a package something like this for Knights?

VIP Knight badge & lanyard
    Dedicated VIP entrance and half hour early access to show floor and store
    Express store check out
    Reserved seating for all Celebration & Galaxy stage panels

Maybe limited to 500, so total 800-850 reserved seats for VIPs.

No other extras, so shirts, posters, prints, meet & greets, express autographs, preview night at show store, all remain exclusive to Jedi Masters. Heck, you could even take away the lanyard if you wanted, so it would literally be panels and early access.

Based on Orlando 2017 prices ($150 for 4 days, $700 for Jedi Master) maybe price this around $250. That would seem fair since you're essentially just paying for reserved seating and early entry, you get none of the other perks of VIP.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  25. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    For a convention this large, I might be somewhat weary of a mid-level VIP in addition to a top-tier level VIP. In the sense that if I bought a mid-level VIP, I might not be so sure that I'd get all that was promised to come with it. I totally get having the select few top-tier VIP's being taken care of. But then to add several hundred, possibly several thousand, lesser VIP's to that might just prove to be more difficult than it's worth for the organizers. If you think about it from the staff's point of view, just the day to day panel hall worker, it could be way easy to overlook or just not care about in trying to accommodate all these supposed VIP's. And it's likely that some of those mid-level VIP's arriving at specific panels may find themselves without a reserved seat. And then it's like, who takes priority, the top-level VIP, or the mid-level VIP who might have gotten there first? On the flip side to that, let's say they do place an emphasis on ALL of the VIP's, then you're talking about a fairly large section of seats being reserved that might ultimately stay empty if not enough of the VIP's actually show up to fill them. Which I don't think would be fair to the average attendee who couldn't get in when there's potentially unoccupied seats. Because at what point do you draw the line in terms of assuming that all the VIP's for that panel have arrived and deciding when it's okay to start letting non-VIP's sit in the VIP section? Especially when there's already a big chunk of seats reserved for media (or "media").

So again, I totally get having the select few top-tier VIP's, limited to 500-1,000, which I think is the ballpark estimate of how many have been sold at the last few Celebrations. But with 100,000+ people in attendance now, what would be the point of trying to accommodate another thousand VIP's on top of the group of top level VIP's? Seems like it would cause more problems than anything, with a lot of people wanting refunds if they didn't get exactly what they were promised at all stops. They might have learned their lesson at Celebration Anaheim which is why they didn't offer a mid-level VIP at Europe or Orlando. Now if it was a 30-40 thousand person event, as previous Celebrations have been, then I could see how it would be much more manageable to have varying tiers of VIP with an appropriate amount of privilege based on what level it is. But with 100,000 people already in attendance, seems more difficult than it's worth at this point. I'm just trying to think about this from an organizer's point of view.

I'm really not trying to be all negative every time an idea comes up...... :emperor: