main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CJ25 Star Wars Celebration (social thread)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Disciple-of-Tython, Apr 16, 2017.

1. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I wouldn't rule out Celebration being in June or July either. They had it in July a couple of years ago in Europe. Although obviously with D23 in August, I'm not sure just how important it is to have a longer separation between these events and whatever reveal they bring up. I wonder how big of a consideration that is. And now that I realize May 4th is on a Saturday in 2019, I would consider that weekend a likely candidate as well. That would be friggin awesome in my opinion! I mean, unless some other event takes place for it, I doubt that a big movie premiere would be such a big consideration that they would decide specifically not to have it on that weekend because of it. For the most part, Celebration is still a niche fan event, and other than a trailer drop, nobody really outside of Celebration and those interested in it will be paying any attention to it whatsoever.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  2. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    I can't see them doing it on Avengers 4 weekend. The number of people going to Celebration who will be wanting to see that film? It's high. It's very high.

3. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Out of the millions of people going to see Avengers 4 that weekend, I doubt the 100,000 attendees at Star Wars Celebration would be such a deciding factor on whether or not they hold it that weekend. Especially since many attendees would likely go see it one day during Celebration anyway once it closes for the day. Plenty of evening left if you don't do any after hours Celebration programming that would be perfect for going to see a movie like that. Not to mention that they can't really assume that every Celebration attendee would go see it if there wasn't a Celebration that weekend.

I don't know man, I didn't realize it before, but now that I've looked at the calendar for May 2019, I would be absolutely pumped for a Celebration on May the 4th weekend! And with May 4th specifically on a Saturday to center the convention around, it will be another 5-6 years before we get a chance like that again. Episode 9 reveals, Star Wars Land openings, and May the 4th, in one weekend, how can you vote against that?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    Amon_Amarth likes this.
  4. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    You do have the IAHCSMM conference there from April 28 to May 1. I don't know how far in advance ReedPop needs access to the building, but that would seem to cut it too close.

The Natural Products Expo from March 5-9 takes that weekend out.

5. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Cinema Con is The first week of April. My guess is second week of April.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Damn.

Where do you find that info? I've looked at the calendar of events in 2019 and don't see those listed.

7. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Just googling for events in 2019.

8. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
  9. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    The thing with May 4th (which I agree is the perfect date) isn’t to do with the 100,000 fans at Celebration. The “problem” is the geek/movie news and marketing.

For May 4th Disney is going to want all eyes on Avengers and the media hype surrounding its opening, likely record breaking weekend and the end of the first 3 phases of the MCU and its original characters. For Celebration they are going to want all eyes on the IX teaser, live action series news (trailer & maybe premier reaction), next animated series season 2 trailer & premiere & whatever other news drops. They won’t want the two to drown each other out in the media coverage. They’ll want each to have the spotlight and they have no need to compete with themselves.

Plus a teaser reveal at a mid April Celebration will mean its out in time to be attached to Avengers 4 theatrically which they’ll definitely want.

Rox likes this.
  10. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    @ChrisLyne: Solid points. You're totally right about all that.

But damn that would be cool.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  11. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Oh definitely. If they could make it work then May 4th weekend would be fantastic, but I just think Celebration is a big marketing event for them these days and April seems to fit that timetable better.

12. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Even if they have had all European celebrations in July, when most Europeans have their vacations, I think we can rule it out for the US celebrations.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  13. navarr

navarr Jedi Master

Jun 3, 2011
  14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    If that's true then I'm surprised they didn't go for Easter weekend (it's the weekend of the 21st). In the UK and most of Europe that's a 4-day weekend.

15. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
  16. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    I would take that with a huge grain of salt, but anything is possible.

17. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Yeah I'm not convinced.

On the plus side - my wallet would breath a massive sigh of relief.
    On the negative - I really really really want to do a US 4 day Celebration! (and see Disneyland)

18. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    London would probably rule me out. Aren't the Europe ones usually just 3 days?

19. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I think they have been in the past. However if they had a 4-day holiday weekend to play with they could stretch it if they wanted to.

20. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Yeah, Europe has always been 3 days in July. I guess they could go for 4 days over Easter if they wanted (nothing really stopping them do 4 days in July) but I just can't see the Episode IX celebration not being in America.

21. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I don't think I could do a Europe trip just for the sake of a SWC. It would have to be in conjunction with a bit longer of a stay in Europe, which I'm definitely not in the market for in the foreseeable future.

But I doubt the authenticity of this supposed leaked rumor. They seem to make it a point that Lucasfilm/Disney is hosting it, but anyone that much in the know about things would obviously know that isn't the case. And I don't think it's some off hand comment either, because they really seem to emphasize Lucasfilm/Disney together, as if they are overtly trying to make it seem authentic. Versus somebody just saying Disney as if they are writing it without really thinking about it, which would be more believable of someone to do.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  22. TK--421

TK--421 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jun 30, 2002
    They've never done a European celebration during a saga movie release year.
    I'd be surprised if that's the case for Episode 9, but I guess we'll see.

23. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    If it’s in Europe then count me out. Too much $$$.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    With this being the end of the saga films (for now anyway), they should take it back to where it all began...

Star Wars Celebration: Tunisia

ChrisLyne and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  25. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Haha, if they did that I pity the 501st and would definitely be leaving the Jedi robes at home!