main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CJ25 Star Wars Celebration (social thread)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Disciple-of-Tython, Apr 16, 2017.

1. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    True. It was the optimal time to do it as well, since the peak popularity of RO will likely be long gone by the time the next Celebration happens.

2. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    It'll be interesting to see how many Solo actors come next year. Can you imagine what Clarke would cost?

3. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
  4. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    I was at a con this past weekend that had Jonathan Frakes from Star Trek charging $50. I'm doing another con in two weeks that he'll also be at and there he's charging $40. So there's a lot that goes into it.

I've seen Billy Dee Williams at three separate cons charging different prices at each one.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  5. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    And I can imagine it gets exponentially complicated with the high profile stars. What percentage gets doled out where and such. I heard Tom Brady charges $650, so you can bet a whole hell of a lot goes into that.

6. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
  7. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    I've used that site before. It's a good resource.

8. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    I actually sent her a TTM today *fingers crossed*

9. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    What is a TTM?

10. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    That's insanely high! No offence to Daisy (I'm sure she's a wonderful person & I've enjoyed her performance in the ST) but I don't see how she/her management team/whoever actually sets the price can justify her autograph costing more than Mark Hamill's and Carrie Fisher's. And more for a personalisation?! That's pure greed on someone's part. I thought stars preferred to personalise stuff since it meant people were less likely to resell it on eBay straight away for a profit?

Since she's not doing public signings yet I'm hoping that it might just be supply and demand and her price will be more like the $200-250 that Mark Hamill, Felicty Jones, John Boyega & Adam Driver do for autographs/photos when she does a Con appearance. That said, you're right, this is TOPPS. Based on last Celebration's price rises she'll go even higher and they'll increase the others to match & they'll still all sell out within a day.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  11. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Through the mail. Basically you take a stab at writing a celeb a letter hoping they'll send an auto back.

12. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Gotcha.

13. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    So is it pretty safe to assume that we should get some kind of announcement soon? Didn't tickets go on sale about a year out last time? I want to get a hotel as close as possible this time. Especially if I bring my Tie armor.

14. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I would recommend staying as close as you can to the center.

15. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    I'd expect to hear something in May (likely 5/4). Definitely book your hotel early.

16. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Hope it's Anaheim. Only been to EU Celebrations, so I'd like to catch a US one. On my way to Wondercon right now, so it'd be a good opportunity to scout the site and prepare for next year.

17. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Cool. Have fun.

18. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    So I'm at WonderCon in Anaheim this weekend. And let me tell you, the new addition to the Convention Center is amazing! It's an entire wing built directly across from the where the big arena is. There are two upstairs auditorium style rooms and downstairs consists of smaller rooms. In the new wing alone you could hold a small to mid size event. It even creates another nice courtyard in that area that now lies between the arena and the new addition. It really adds a lot to that whole front area, instead of it feeling like it's separated from the rest of the con activities down where the main entrances are. The Hilton and Marriott hotels there also have this look and feel now of being almost built in to the whole thing. And with that walkway down the middle of it all, it's really become a nice sprawling complex. A persistent thought I had all day was how great the next Star Wars Celebration held there is going to be. With all the food trucks and the restaurants the hotels provide, I swear it's going to be a mini Star Wars city those four days!

Now that I've seen it and what it adds to events like this, I am absolutely shelling out the money to stay in either of those hotels, regardless of whether I get the Celebration discount or not.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  19. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    That sounds fantastic! With space like that (assuming they use it of course) they could have more overflow/streaming rooms and a bigger venue to hold an exhibit like the costumes of TFA (which was apparently a nightmare in 2015 due to the room it was in).

I guess this really makes the choice between Anaheim and Orlando even easier for them.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  20. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I guess it really depends on which park is going to finish first though right? I would assume they want to suck us dry and have us go to Disney too ;)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  21. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Any idea what their rates are for a big con?

I'm thinking this isn't as big of a factor as many think it is.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  22. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    If I don't remember totally wrong I think the Hilton was a bit a cheaper than the Marriot, but the price was around $180 night, I think it cost me $600 to share a room with one person at the Hilton for a week at the last Celebration.

I dreamt that I booked rooms in Anaheim tonight, considering the lack of news that's as good of an indication as anything else that we hear about.

Amon_Amarth and ChrisLyne like this.
  23. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Hopefully. At this point Anaheim is clearly the obvious better choice. Let's just hope the management at ReedPop doesn't think they can outsmart themselves or anyone else and try to figure some new way of doing things by not having it in Anaheim but then ultimately mucking up the whole thing.

No idea. I'm driving to and from each day for WonderCon so I didn't check out the hotel rates. I just know that I'm now far more willing to pay higher prices to stay right in the center of it all if and when Celebration happens in Anaheim again.

Even if it opens in Orlando first, that doesn't necessarily mean they'd want to have Celebration there merely because of that. Because no matter what there will still be a Star Wars Land opening in Anaheim. And with Disneyland and the convention center being in such close proximity, much more so than in Orlando, that kind of thinking still makes Anaheim the better choice.

Let us hope your Jedi future telling abilities come to fruition.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    ChrisLyne likes this.
  24. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Looked online and found these prices for Anaheim (not 100% sure these are correct) from last time. Of course, this was several years ago.

$189 Anabella Hotel Special event promotion is available for this property
    $199 Anaheim Marriott Special event promotion is available for this property
    $130 Best Western Stovall's Inn Special event promotion is available for this property
    $159 Clarion Hotel Anaheim Resort Special event promotion is available for this property
    $160 Doubletree by Hilton - Anaheim Resort Conventio... Special event promotion is available for this property
    $199 Hilton Anaheim Special event promotion is available for this property
    $209 Sheraton Park Hotel at the Anaheim Resort Special event promotion is available for this property

I'll probably get the cheapest decent hotel within a 10 minute walk. I can't really justify paying more when I'll probably be sleeping on concrete some nights...

25. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    One reason why I don't do the overnight queues is that I've paid so much for my hotel room that I want to use it.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.