main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CVI Star Wars Celebration VI Aug 23-26 2012

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Grand Admiral Strife, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    Someone on the rbelscum boards posted this week that he had e-mailed Reed about a ticket refund issue (as a Reed volunteer, your tickets were refunded after the event) and was responded to quickly and the issue resolved, with this little gem at the end:

So, narrowing down the date....

What do think? C VI in 2012 with the 3D movie release?

2. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    At CV I heard rumors that we'll be back in Florida in a couple years. That LFL/Reed had to sign a two-con contract with the convention center. But I also heard that LFL likes to keep the con moving. Both rumors came from volunteers who have contacts with people at LFL, so take that as you will. Either way I hope we do see a con in the next 2-3 years. I just hope it's not Florida in August this time.

3. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    What, was the weather disagreeable?

4. PreludeRM

PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta star 4

Oct 28, 2002
    weather was hot. Florida in August is sweat central. Convention center was awesome. Lot's of room. I'm hoping it's back in Florida, Just a different time of year.

5. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000

*thwacks* [face_plain]

6. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    I think the quote of the con was "ugh." We all said that as soon as we left air conditioning and hit the wall of humidity.

7. Abhib

Abhib Jedi Youngling

Jun 22, 2010
    Oh that's great and I am being sarcastic

as the olypmics will be in London in 2012, no one at my work place will be allowed any time of between July and Sep 2012 due to us helping out with it

I am PRAYING that it is before or after that period

8. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I would love if CVI were only two years away, no matter where or when. Fingers crossed.

9. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    My guess is it'll be in 2013 though. They did 2007 for the 30th anniversary of ANH, 2010 for ESB, 2013 would be RotJ.

10. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    If the 3D releases begin in 2012, though, that could be an excuse for a Celebration.

11. Abhib

Abhib Jedi Youngling

Jun 22, 2010
    I hope ur right

12. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I'm hoping 2013 as well,I need the time to save up the money.

13. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000

Agreed.

14. Bri_Windstar

Bri_Windstar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    I'm so there. I don't care when and I don't care where. :D I would love to see it in FL again.

15. FRAGGLE_ROCKER

FRAGGLE_ROCKER Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 16, 2010
    Gosh, Orlando was not bad! I can't believe with all the cool stuff a Celebration convention has to offer, especially this one, STAR WARS fans get turned off merely because of the heat outside of the place. What other city would have the option to go to Disney World for extra related events?
    I hope it's in Orlando, and in two years instead of three, and earlier in the summer or late spring before it gets hotter and before hurricanes are likely. I also like the sense of a "do-over" and doing right what I did wrong in August like staying at a better hotel, planning my panels better, that sort of thing.
    The only reason to schedule these things shouldn't just be 30 year anniversaries. There wasn't really much at Celebration V to specifically commemorate TESB. By the looks of the Celebration Hall with the TIE Interceptor, displays of Jabba the Hutt and the Endor bunker, and considering the extra footage revealed during Lucas' interview and even one of Ben Burtt's panels, it looked like there was more of a focus on "Return of the Jedi" than "The Empire Strikes Back".

16. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I think 2012 would be awesome! At least we would get it in before the world ends! :p

I agree that Florida wouldn't be too bad if it were a different time of year. August was much too hot!

17. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Lol, I always think that about anything that is scheduled to happen after 2012 :p

18. dante144

dante144 Jedi Master star 1

May 26, 2005
    I thought the quote from the con was "It's a trap!!!" ?

Florida in May FTW!

It is 49°F here now, but it really evens out by May. Not to hot, not too cold, like now.

19. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Different people have different wants for the con. Personally I had no concern as to what other major tourist attractions were near. I did go to US-IoA, but that was because it was a day with friends. Could have been something as simple as spending the day BBQing and whatnot.

The weather though is something that is important given what it means to people who costume, and also for the desire to go and do things outside the con. I was rather hard to muster any energy to go and do things after we packed up each day when faced with moving around in that muggy heat, and was also not pleasant to know you'd be walking into the building each morning already smelling because of the sweating on the 5 minute walk over.

20. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    True. I really feel for anyone who was in armor (or better yet, the guy in the wampa suit).

21. Bri_Windstar

Bri_Windstar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    Omg, I couldn't even imagine cosplaying in that humidity. I myself didn't mind going around in plain clothes, though I know others didn't like it. I would love to see it in Orlando again. I thought they were a very good host city, but they should very much look into doing it a different time of year if they're going to keep it there.

22. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    An eyepatch was horrible, I've no idea how people dealt with costumes in that weather.

Except for the scantily clad wampa and ewok chicks that stopped by the table next to our table. I see how those worked.

23. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Inside the con there was no problem with the heat. Getting there though. I was very happy that I had booked at the closest hotel, otherwise it would have been tough.

24. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    +1. If Orlando hosts C6, we're gonna do whatever it takes to stay at The Peabody again.

Was worth every single penny staying across the street (and the hotel was gorgeous to boot).

25. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    We went for cheap and have a very long walk in the heat and humidity. We're hoping to save up and spring for the Peabody next time.