main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CVI Star Wars Celebration VI Aug 23-26 2012

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Grand Admiral Strife, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Mr_Mundi

Mr_Mundi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    While I wouldn't mind going back to Orlando for Celebration VI, then I really don't see any connection between the "Where Science Meets Imagination"-exhibition and Celebration VI.

Do you mean, that one should built up to/promote the other? And in that case, which should do what?

Or do you mean, that they should be in Orlando at the same time? In that case I would hope, that the "Where Science Meets Imagination"-exhibition would extend beyond the 4 month to allow for Celebration VI in April/May of 2013 rather than to have Celebration VI in the end of 2012.

2. Phantom_Jedi

Phantom_Jedi Jedi Master star 1

Oct 4, 2002
    What I'm suggesting is that Orlando seems to be building stronger ties with Star Wars, what with already having the Disney Weekends and last year's CV, and by now having this exhibition in place by the end of 2012, this could be an indication that it may be headed back there. (I still maintain that nowhere in their blog has Reed mentioned that the show is happening in 2012. It could still be 2013!)

A Reed rep told me at CV that the show would 'return here next time'. (Meaning Orlando). Now if that was just his personal thoughts or solid info I don't know. I wasn't thinking beyond CV at that time, and didn't enquire further. However, when CV was first announced there was also a rumour that the OCCC had signed up for two SW conventions.

Plus the statement that Reed issued stating that some may find the host city a surprise. To me if they announced it in Chicago, or Indianapolis or anywhere else, it wouldn't be that much of a surprise as it would be expected to move elsewhere, as it had previously. What would be a surprise to some, is if it returned to Orlando.

It's all pure speculation at the moment, but I for one am hoping for an Orlando return.

3. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    Wonder if Reed will give us a silhouette teaser image of the C6 logo when they announce it.

4. Phantom_Jedi

Oct 4, 2002
    I would want the whole logo revealed! I'm hoping for some Chewie love on the new merchandise! (Not in the rude sense of course!)

5. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    I hope to be a vendor again. But this time I'm taking a day off! I was exhausted.

6. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    Even better. :cool:

7. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    I have some questions for everyone...

Who will replace Steve Sansweet?

Do you think that Reed will run the conventions/Celebrations the same way that they have been in the past? The greatest part of the experience is in the intangible--the camaraderie, the locations (of course!) and, or course, the continuity.

Do you anticipate Reed Exhibitions changing the format and/or content of the Celebrations, in any way--or worse, TOTALLY--and what would be your thoughts if things were included that were NOT Star Wars related? Reed Exhibitions is a prime organizer and vendor for ALL types of exhibitions, unlike GenCon.

I know that Reed must work closely with Lucasfilm to make the Celebrations work. I'm not trying to be negative at all.

By the way...please keep up the communication and enthusiasm!

8. Phantom_Jedi

Oct 4, 2002
    I don't think Steve Sansweet is a necessary part of Celebrations. I think as long as we have a good host/compare, and someone behind the scenes like Mary Franklin who has experience of being involved in the show, then we're all good!

I also think, but I don't know for sure, that Lucasfilm has heavy control and final say on these events, so Reed wouldn't do anything too out of the ordinary.

I personally would love a small area dedicated to Indiana Jones - even some of the actors from these movies, but that would be where the buck would stop. No Willow or Howard The Duck! (Not taking anything away from either of those movies, but they are simply not in the same stratosphere as Star Wars and Indy)

I'll keep my enthusiasm for CVI strong, right through to the end of the show. Then I'll start on CVII !

9. bback

bback Jedi Knight

Aug 17, 2010
    I don't think anyone will have to replace Steve Sansweet. Didn't he/they say that he would still continue to be involved, just not as much as he was before? Even if I'm making that up, he's arguably the most famous Star Wars fan out there, and it would make sense to have him there to host it.

Reed did C2E2 in Chicago last month and it was a blast. They had a lot of entertainment for all sorts of geekdom, from comics to games to anime to scifi to fantasy. Anything you would expect to be at a comic convention was represented there. That being said, I think Star Wars Celebration should stay Star Wars. I like comics and video games, but I don't want unrelated comics and video games in my Star Wars convention. Reed handles wide-ranging cons like C2E2 and NYCC, as well as specialty cons like PAX and NY Anime Fest. I think it would be best if they stick with a specialty Star Wars con.

10. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    Exactly one more month left max till we should hear some official C6 news...

11. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    For very selfish reasons I hope that it's not in May, or at least late May, since that is a month when I have big problems of getting a holiday.

12. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    FYI, CVI may not necessarily be in the US.

13. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    I'm kind of in the same boat, as a matter of fact. Apparently, my company now has Memorial Day weekend on the vacation blacklist so nobody is allowed to take that weekend off.

14. jedimika

jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep star 4

Apr 2, 2008
    I thought about that too but we know it's Reed and does anyone know if they run conventions outside the US?

15. Mr_Mundi

May 24, 2002
    According to Steve Sansweet one of the reasons for choosing Reed is that they have offices in many countrys around the world, so LFL can work with Reed when having conventions outside US.

16. Phantom_Jedi

Oct 4, 2002
    I don't think that CVI will be one of them though. All numbered Celebrations (I-V) have been in the U.S. with others like Celebration Europe and Japan named after the area they are in. I'd imagine if it returns to Europe it would be Celebration Europe II, or Celebration Australia etc.

That is, of course, if they stick with the current system.

17. Mr_Mundi

May 24, 2002
    While I agree, that Celebration VI, VII and so forth will be in America, then I don't think it has been said from official side, that the next one will be a numbered Celebration, we are just assuming it will be.

18. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Just popping in to see if there's any news yet... [face_whistling]

I'm hoping this wasn't an April Fool's joke. ;)

19. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Actually, Reed did announce that it would be a numbered Celebration. On the official blog post, it clearly mentions Celebration VI in the headline.

And this is something that was mentioned on another message board and something I found interesting. If we go by the 8 week timeline Reed has given us(back when the initial post was made on March 30th), that puts the announcement around the time of Star Wars Weekends at Disney's Hollywood Studios and the relaunching of Star Tours. If Celebration is to return to Orlando, maybe they're waiting to make the big announcement with all the other festivities surrounding the reopening of Star Tours.

It could be a long shot, but it's something to keep the speculation going.

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  20. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I've more or less assumed that the official announcement will come at SW weekends.

21. Mr_Mundi

May 24, 2002
    Sorry, my bad.[face_blush]

22. Phantom_Jedi

Oct 4, 2002
    Anyone else finding these last 3 1/2 weeks to the announcement reaaaalllllly dragging?

Why is that always the way when you look forward to something? We've got through the first 4.5 no problem - these last few weeks I'm like "Hurry up!" lol!

23. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Yes, same here. I'm ashamed to admit I've been checking daily for news. [face_blush]

24. Bri_Windstar

Bri_Windstar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    Same. I just had a conversation about plan-making with the friends I typically go to Celebrations with. Early bird catches the worm and all that jargon. [face_dancing]

25. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    Well at least the Blu-ray release news that's coming on May 4th will help ease the pain of waiting. ;)