main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karl0413, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    Here we go:

DK’s Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded by Pablo Hidalgo of the Lucasfilm Story Group, coming in April and available now for pre-order, is filled with profiles, statistics, and imagery of characters, monsters, and more from The Force Awakens. Everything from heights to biographies to wardrobe facts — did you know that Han Solo’s new jacket is made of nerf leather? — is here. StarWars.com is thrilled to reveal the updated edition’s new cover, featuring Rey, BB-8, Admiral Ackbar, and more, below.

In all, Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded includes more than 200 entries, spanning the entire saga. Take a peek inside with the gallery below.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Wow they're bringing back stuff like Ylesia.

Also it warms my heart to see a hailfire droid after all these years. TCW, despite its awesome expansion of the IBC/Muuns mythos, never included them for some reason.

3. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    They had me at Ackbar, Kor Sella, and Statura. :p

Yes, I'll be buying this guide. Can't wait! :D

--Adm. Nick

Karl0413 likes this.
  4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Action boots.

Ulicus , Kylun and Taalcon like this.
  5. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Almost as good as the accusing finger.

Kylun and CooperTFN like this.
  6. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Color me not impressed.

A quick look at the Kylo Ren and Reek pages shows there's no info not already covered by the Visual Dictionaries. Any legitimately interesting new info could probably also be gained from Wookieepedia stubs a few months from now.

Also from the Amazon page its for ages "7-10". NOTE: Yes, I know stuff aimed at a young audience like Clone Wars and Lost Stars can have quality writing, but the short paragraphs of basic information and "action boots" prove this will not be the case.

I love the Visual Dictionaries, Essential Guides, ect but this doesn't capture my interest. Maybe get it if you have any younglings. At least they're only charging $11 for it.

7. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    These guides tend to be better on background or supporting characters than primary characters. For me personally, I don't buy these books for info on Rey, Kylo, or Han. The odds of new information that is relevant is minimal. However, background characters are a whole other story. Just look at the Kor Sella entry. Or take a character like Statura, who will get an entry but to date as one little blurb in the VG. There is room for some more details on him. Ditto if they decide to do an entry for Chancellor Villachem.

As for my hero Ackbar, I mostly expect a rehash of what we already know. Fought in the Clone Wars, Rebel admiral, fought at Endor, victor of Jakku, retirement, and finally joining the Resistance. The most I hope for there is clarification as to what his role for the Resistance is. Is he a top advisor, a strategic planner, a fleet commander, etc.

I also find these guides rather helpful for when I forget little details about characters. I own the current version and rather enjoy it, to be honest.

--Adm. Nick

JediBatman likes this.
  8. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I hope we get info on the Separatist leaders.

9. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I'm glad we're finally getting a homeworld for all these major characters. Though I think it really shrinks the universe to have so many of them be from Unknown. Must be a crowded planet.

10. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Isn't that the homewold of Yoda's species? Both the planet and the race are called Unknown, after all. Can't be a coincidence.

operative_lm, Ulicus , Kylun and 2 others like this.
  11. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    I am so incredibly happy that they kept Reeks being Naturally Herbivores that are starved into eating meat for arena fights. I have no idea why, but I just am.

12. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    ...so why does Grummgar get a page in this thing?

13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe because of his short story in Star Wars Insider?

14. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I kinda liked this story. It's completely unconsequential, but I supposed that's exactly the reason why I dug it; it reminds me of the old "Tales of" shorts.

Iron_lord likes this.
  15. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'll probably look at this if I see it but I already have the Visual Dictionaries so I might give it a pass.

16. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Yeah, this one would mostly be interesting for the bg characters. And Pablo mentioned it's for movie characters only, so no TCW or Rebels.

17. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    but I thought it was One Canon [face_plain]

18. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Would have loved some trivia on the Lando comic characters...

spicer likes this.
  19. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    And why is Sidon Ithano hamming it up on the dark side of the cover like he's a main character or something?

SIDON == SNOKE CONFIRMED!!!

LelalMekha likes this.
  20. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015

Probably for the same reason Admiral Ackbar is up between Rey and Finn. They're cool to look at.