main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Lord Sith Harloxzz, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I just wanted a solid sequel to RotJ, but TFA somehow managed to not be that.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  2. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Yeah I was really imperative in the world building of ANH :D

3. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Its too much too fast for newbies, ironically the people jj claimed to target.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I happen to really like that sequence because it's so abstract and fast, which is how Kirk feels as he's going along with the mind meld. The fact that Kirk comes out of the mind meld with his eyes wide and gasping is very telling so the audience is along with Spock's speed-mind-meld info-dump. It's supposed to be abstract but nothing critical is left out.

I totally knew what was happening there but, to be fair, I had literally read Countdown before seeing the film so it was actually kind of redundant to me, hahaha.

vncredleader likes this.
  5. Pacified_llama

Pacified_llama Jedi Master star 3

Sep 15, 2017
    Regarding OP:

The cinematic universe requires no effort to construct - and indeed, for most people the cinematic universe is the full extent of their exposure to the SW canon.

The problem with distinguishing canon universes is that it puts a damper on the creative aspect and stymies each separate canon in turn. The other option is to "tier" the canon, as Legends did. That results often in unfortunate retconning, for which the old EU can both be credited for (it kept the franchise just about linear and non-contradictory) or discredited for (it created unnecessary complexity and fragmentation as time progressed)

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    As has been pointed out on Twitter recently, there are a fair few people utterly confused by Jaina Solo having an action figure on the shelves, and wondering why Kylo Ren suddenly has a sister and lamenting being spoiled for The Last Jedi. Separating out different material into different continuities (or tiers) is still confusing for the general audience even when it's Legends/Canon, so further sub-dividing canon would be even worse.

Pacified_llama and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  7. Pacified_llama

Pacified_llama Jedi Master star 3

Sep 15, 2017
    I find this a hilarious example of marketing mismanagement. Are those Jaina figures just surplus stock?

8. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Those people are likely the same type who thought RO was episode 8. But yeah tiers get confusing and cause problems but still there is always gonna be some person who 100% misses the point.

9. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    There was a push by the "Bring Back Legends" crew to fan vote for a character for a Black Series and Jaina Solo won. This was last year although another campaign this time around to push a Legends character wasn't allowed.

10. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    I really hope future fan polls use just eu (canon or legends) characters. The fact that Dengar was on the list was really annoying, but hey we are getting Aphra now

11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    If I do see that Jania Solo figure I may totally buy it just to have one as a novelty. dunno if I'd stick her with my canon Jedi figures though :p

But, yeah, some people may end up with Jaina Solo figures and have no idea who the heck she is aside from "Hey, it's a person with a lightsaber!" I doubt the back of the box explains all that much.

Anyway, the point remains, two ongoing canon's can be a bit muddied and only appeal to a small segment. However, I still get the feeling we'll get a new Legends novel someday. We're talking about Disney, they made a freakin' sequel to Tron.

Daneira likes this.
  12. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    As long as there's still EU novels on book shelves there is no reason not to make new ones.

13. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I'm definitely pro One Canon. So I don't want to see a split. I do believe things have been pretty good continuity wise.

BigAl6ft6, Stymi and vncredleader like this.
  14. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    It's pretty common. There are always people asking, still, whether a particular book or comic is still canon. I think the general audience is aware there was a split between certain materials, but not the specifics. Just going by a little Legends banner isn't going to clue a lot of people in to how a particular work fits into the ongoing story.

15. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Yeah but most of those people will adapt. I mean look at how fans get into comic books. You can go to the store and grab 5 batman trades that are each not canon with one another or set in different eras or one universe's retelling of another universe's story. You learn to google stuff or get the reader's companion or ask poor Pablo

16. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Legacy won't fit in a "One Canon", so no for me.

17. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    There definitely is a chance there will be a new legends novel in the future. However I do think the time is starting to run out. If they still aren't bothering to make a new legends novel in the year or so following Ep. IX while they are planning out where they want to go in the future with canon I think people then should probably close the book on any hope of future new legends novels.