main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars Collecting. Need collectors advice.

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by HiddenJediKnight, May 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HiddenJediKnight

HiddenJediKnight Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 23, 2003
    Hello,

I love the Star wars universe. I want to start collecting something for Star wars. I would like to know what is the cheapest Star wars thing to collect.

2. buster726

buster726 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2002
    I would say loose figures if you have any flea markets/auctions near you check them out you can sometimes find loose figures there as cheap as $1.00 a piece. Big majority of my collection comes from there. Collecting can get expensive if you start buying too much too quick I speak from expirence on this one.

3. HiddenJediKnight

Mar 23, 2003
    What happens if you have to many will people be willing to buy them from you.

4. buster726

buster726 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2002
    Someone will always be willing to buy extra figures from you but that's not allowed on these boards.

5. HiddenJediKnight

Mar 23, 2003
    I wasn't trying to sell mine I have only 3. I love mine.

6. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    The best advice I can give is not to collect soley for quantity or just to have some expensive "rare piece." Collect something because you enjoy it, and then your collection (whatever it is comprised of), will be all the more satifying.

7. HiddenJediKnight

Mar 23, 2003
    That's good.

8. jango_joe

jango_joe Jedi Padawan star 4

May 22, 2002
    never try to impress people with what you got, dont think, well if i get this, im better then someone else, or he will be jelouse, have fun with it

9. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    "Someone will always be willing to buy extra figures from you but that's not allowed on these boards."

*cough* *cough*

Mara? Neck? [face_mischief] :p Yes, you know. :D

Anyways, to the author of this thread, I'd look around at what YOU like best before you start collecting. I mean, most of us didn't wake up one morning and go, "OMG!! I WANNA START COLLECTING AND BUY EVERYTHING!!! TELL ME HOW!!!!" I mean, usually, we saw something we liked in a store, then bought it. Then later, saw something else, and something else. And we developed a taste for what we liked and bought more of that.

Because, honestly, you can go into a smorgasboard of Star Wars memoriabilia. There's people who value the big-ticket items like Master Replicas sabers and the huge, $4,000 life statues of characters, and then there's people who just want to buy the usual $4.99 action figures, and then there's everyone in between!

So, my advice? Look around first to see what intrigues you. Check out different Star Wars collecting websites, go to a few toy stores and look around. You'll find something you'll love!

Oh, and as a post script... Don't collect assuming you're gonna use them for your retirement fund for someday. If you want that, buy bonds or something. ( :p )

10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    HiddenJedi - you could also start your collection based around your favorite character, if you have one. Most of my collection is based around Boba and Jango Fett (and Slave I) because they are my favorites. I have a few non-Fett figures because I liked the look of them, but not many.

11. yaddel

yaddel Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2002
    You could also collect little things, like the Lego Key Chains, a nice way to start, they are cheap and look really cool on your key chain, I'm sure people will ask you about them :)

12. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    There are so many things out there to collect. Figures are probably the route to go. The qustion then is do you open them or
    keep them sealed...

13. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Way to open that can of worms, Mike. :p

14. yodashizzzle

yodashizzzle Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 27, 2003
    The best advice I can give is not to collect soley for quantity or just to have some expensive "rare piece." Collect something because you enjoy it, and then your collection (whatever it is comprised of), will be all the more satifying.

this is the best advice ANYONE can give. don't fall prey to getting something because it's something that's rare or an error/variation. those things are neat, but you'll end up spending more money on items that you will feel stuck with if they happen to be things you didn't really like in the first place. pace yourself. build your collection steadily and slowly. it'll keep you from getting burned out on collecting and it'll also make you aware of just how MUCH stuff is out there.

as previously mentioned, some folks tend to collect specific characters or from their favorite episode of Star Wars. it's just about finding out what YOU like. and having fun with it. i started out collecting the 3 3/4 inch figures when i was just a little shizzzle back in the late seventies. i collect only the 12" and 3 3/4" stuff.

15. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    everybody else advice has been really good :) and if you'de like to start with something that doesn't cost too much, you could go to kbtoys and get a couple of 3 3/4" figures for half off. start out with the small stuff :)

16. darcphoenyx

darcphoenyx Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 12, 2001
    In terms of cheapest...right now is probably the 3 3/4" line, at $5 or so a figure. There isn't much readily availble right now cheaper than that.

And now for my basic advice to new collectors ;) :

Start small...

Don't go out of your way to collect everything all at once, we can't all be Steve Sansweet (and you can thank God for that). In time you'll most likely start collecing more, and when you do keep these other points in mind.

Collect what you enjoy...

There's no point picking something up if you don't like it. Perhaps you'll enjoy being a completist (like I am), but don't feel pressured to be one. If you find yourself collecting a certain type of item just because you always have, perhaps you should consider finding another line that you'll enjoy more.

Collect what you can afford...

If you find yourself collecting more and more as time goes on, always make sure to keep your budget in mind. Also, never over extend yourself on eBay.

Display proudly...

There's little point to collecting if it's all going to collect dust in a closet. Whether you open your toys or not, they should still be out where everyone can see them.

17. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    you could also start your collection based around your favorite character, if you have one. Most of my collection is based around Boba and Jango Fett (and Slave I) because they are my favorites. I have a few non-Fett figures because I liked the look of them, but not many.

Mine if I had it that way would be all Yodas. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.