main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars #26-30: Yoda's Secret War (5/5 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Formidious, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Ewan Tibbetts

Ewan Tibbetts Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2016
  2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    couple of splash pages devoted to Yoda doing cool stuff and an appearance by young Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon were pretty great. Although my favourite stuff in the issue is at the front when Threepio is babbling away about all of the crimes he committed with the Rebellion and Vader calling Threepio to be destroyed because he's just junk. could be a fluke reference, could be an Anakin reference, I like the ambiguity of it.

3. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    I think it's cool that once Darth Maul is out, there will be two pre-TPM stories being told at the same time by Marvel. Add Obi-Wan & Anakin, and the TPM / pre-CW era is getting a lot of love! Which is great, because that is one of the most interesting eras for me.

Darkslayer likes this.
  4. BeesInABar

BeesInABar Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2015
    Yeah, I'm also digging the love for pre-Clone Wars stuff. My personal dream would be a Republic ongoing that adapted Plagueis, Cloak of Deception, and Shadow Hunter for canon with original stories woven in. But I don't like my odds of seeing that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    I am kind of hoping that the Maul comic gives off the Shadow Hunter vibe. Would also love to see Cloak of Darkness adapted, it was one of my favourite Legends novels. :)

Side note thing, I hope that they do something that actually is important for Yoda, I do not want the story to be "random adventure 284!"

6. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Those novels are too detailed to be successfully adapted into comics imo. What I'm hoping for is for certain novels, including Plagueis, to be fully recanonized, with certain updates where necessary (eg. the Maul stuff in that book). LFL is starting that by re-publishing some OT books that were considered Legends, so there's a chance.

7. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    They're certainly doing that with the junior novelizations -- I believe new, canon versions of the 2004 Ryder Windham novels are due in the next few months, with some changes made to make them fit into the current continuity. Whether they'll do the same for original novels remains to be seen, though I figure stuff like Plagueis and Cloak of Deception would be a good bet if they did.

spicer likes this.
  8. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    Don't get your hopes up; reportedly there's a ton of stuff in Plagueis that would come to rub Lucas the wrong way. The work they did on the live-action television series would have contradicted it, and that series seems to be highly influential to the work being done in the post-Lucas era of Lucasfilm.

9. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    That seems to have mostly been regarding the suggestion that Palpatine's start of darkness was being spurned by a lover, which I don't really see the Story Group going for.

spicer likes this.
  10. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Agree! I wait for the trades (Son of Dathomir being the sole exception to that) but adding both "Darth Maul" and "Yoda's Secret War" to my TPB collection is gonna be great!

11. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
  12. Ewan Tibbetts

Ewan Tibbetts Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2016
  13. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Unfortunately not, Ewan Tibbetts

Star Wars 27
    Book VI, Part II
    Yoda's Secret War

Highlights/Cliffnotes
    • So planet full of kids
    • spears made of mysterious blue rock, kids have a little bit of it, almost out
    • Yoda senses something in the blue rock
    • kids treat Yoda like Ewoks treat 3P0
    • kids fight, hit spear tips, Yoda senses something bad when they do that
    • learns that blue rock comes from the mountain
    • Yoda investigates mountain, finds more kids which appear to be older i.e. pre-teens/teenagers I guess
    • He chooses not to fight, ends up getting knocked out by piece of blue rock
    • Mountain kids appear to be throwing blue stones with The Force
    • Yoda is locked up with blue chains, made to go into the mountain to retrieve the Heart of the Mountain
    • end

14. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Well, it seems that this is another arc that it's a bit difficult to appreciate (or maybe not) without reading all of the issues. This issue alone is kinda intriguing, but personally I don't feel as interested and "fulfilled" by it, unlike with most of the Vader issues or Doctor Aphra, which are enjoyable to read on their own. The setting of this issue didn't feel very Star Wars-y. If Yoda wasn't present and the Jedi and the Force weren't mentioned, I'd probably have no idea that this was a Star Wars comic. That I don't mean as a negative critique by the way, but just as an observation.

I hope the next issue will be more interesting.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  15. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Unfortunately, I saw a spoiler in the way of a solicitation for a future issue of Star Wars series and

the only reason we are getting this lame Yoda story is because it's going to relate to something that Luke is going to get involved in in the present. I know this is fairly obvious since Obi-wan's story was related to young Luke, so I guess it makes sense that Yoda's story is going to affect present Luke. I guess I was just hoping this Yoda story was going to be more fun/interesting, but so far it's a means to an end.

16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm starting to get the sense from quite a few of you that the SW book has gone off the rails the last few months?

17. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    In my opinion it's the weakest SW comic at the moment. On the bright side, the rest of the series out now are really good, so, yay for good SW comics :)

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Hmm, yeah, but it's looking a bit aimless now.

When they had Vader running, that seemed to give a sense of direction for the line, with that gone it looks more haphazard.

19. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    As much as I enjoy this book, I would say it does seem to lack direction. They need to either use Vader more or create a central antagonist. Right now it feels like random, loosely connected, adventures during the Galactic Civil War. There's no sense of their being an overall story.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  20. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I'm fine with the anthology nature of this series, but would agree it's currently the weakest series they have and has had the widest variance in quality arcs so far.

I'm not disliking this Yoda arc, it's just not moving as quickly as I would like for a monthly (it will likely read better when collected in a tpb). I can see how this story is a set up for a future Luke story as suggested above. He's reading Kenobi's journal to discover more about the Jedi, so he must therefore either learn a lesson from reading this Yoda story or follow in Yoda's footsteps to learn the lesson himself. Either way, that's development for Luke, which I won't complain about. Plus, a Jedi story without a lightsabre is a plus in my book.

21. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    The Star Wars line up to the point of this Yoda arc was pretty much your adventure of the week type story starring Han, Luke, and Leia. That's really been the selling point for this comic is that those that want to see a lot of the big three can get that in this series.

The Yoda arc seems to be here for all those who have been calling out for a Yoda mini well you got that right here. Putting a Yoda mini into the regular Star Wars line was also probably a way to bump up the sales again. The latest issue was back up to the 100k area where the past five issues or so had been around 70/80k range.

22. Dimitar

Dimitar Jedi Padawan

Jan 22, 2017
    + Great art as always by Salvador Larroca and Edgar Delgado (even better than in some issues of Darth Vader).
    + Was that Obi-Wan writing his journal using the Force?
    + Great last scene with a humbled Master Yoda.

- The children remind me of the ones in another comic book by Jason Aaron - The Goddamned (but not in a good way).
    - Kind of threading the same path as the Obi-Wan and Anakin mini-series (Jedi on a primitive world where the Force and space travel are only myths).
    - Generally a weaker issue than the first of this story arc.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  23. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
  24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, this time you're getting the next issue real fast.

25. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999

Jason Aaron is a really good writer but his writing after the first storyline for this title has been inconsistent at best, not helped by his weak characterizations of the big three.

However, I did really enjoy this issue. It had a real 80s fantasy movie vibe to it. With a little Mad Max Thunderdome in it.