main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars comics Guide for beginners. Question for SW comics fans.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Crazydan, Sep 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crazydan

Crazydan Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2005
    Hey, I read a lot of Star Wars EU novels and plays SW video games. But I hadn't read any Star Wars comics, and I'm thinking of starting that. There's a good comic store in my university and I notice it sell some Star Wars comics.

But I don't know what Star Wars comics I should begin with. Any help will be appreciated.

Also, this topic can be used for other people who want to start read any Star Wars comics.

2. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Clone Wars 1-6

Rogue Squadron series

Tales of the Jedi series.

Crimson Empire I

I can recommend all of those very heavily (but they're just the tip of the iceberg, really).

3. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    I haven't met a SW comic yet I didn't like. I liked Dark Empire, Crimson Empire, Empire, Tales of the Jedi, Clone Wars.

It all comes down to what your favorite era in EU history is. If you liked KOTOR, then read TOTJ. If you liked TTT and JAT, read DE and CE. If you prefer the OT, read Empire. If you liked the PT, read Clone Wars and whatever else is PT-era.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    For the prequel era, give Jango Fett: Open Seasons, Outlander, Twilight, Darkness, Stark Hyperspace War, Rite of Passage and the Clone Wars 1-6 a try. All are top notch stuff. Oh and Jedi Council: Acts of War aint too bad either.

For the classic era, try Empire Volumes 1-3.

For the post-ROTJ era, try Mara Jade: By the Emperor's Hand, the X-Wing Rogue Squadron series and Dark Empire.

For the ancient era, try the Tales of the Jedi series (though not Golden Age of the Sith or Fall of the Sith Empire).

5. Crazydan

Crazydan Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2005
    Right. I notice that the comic store have a copy of Crimson Empire I paperback, a Rogue Squandorn paperback (I don't know which one), and Dark Empire II.

Should I read the first one before Dark Empire II? And I heard some things about how "bad Crimson Empire I" was on this board.

6. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

The hell it was. It has faults, like everything, but is actually unique to others. Gander at Amazon's reviews to gain a range of feedback.

7. Kast_Morben

Kast_Morben Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    If you hold off a month or two, there is a book being released - the Star Wars Comics Companion by Dark Horse, which should give you all you need to know about Star Wars comics.

8. LastOneStanding

LastOneStanding Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2004
    Crimson Empire I was horrible (especially the artwork). I liked Crimson Empire II a lot better.

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Crimson Empire 1 was pretty good, though it's more of a straight forward action story with flashy artwork.

10. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    I can't stand the artwork in the Crimson Empire series. But I really enjoyed part II's story.

11. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Crimson Empire's distinciveness was its intrinsic uniqueness to other comics. that, and the last page, made up for its faults.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.