main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars Comics

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JABoomer, Dec 22, 2016.

1. JABoomer

JABoomer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2009
    So I've read all the Star Wars adult novels. I've always avoided junior novels and comics as I wasn't sure I would enjoy them. I still don't think I'll pursue junior novels but I started Dark Empire last night and it's enjoyable. Can anyone recommend other Star Wars comics that I can enjoy after the Dark Empire trilogy?

I'm looking for complete volumes like Dark Empire. Comics that are finished and have been compiled into a single book. So I'm guessing nothing in the new canon has finished it's run yet and it will be all Legends which is fine.

The only one that I know of is Star Wars: Legacy.

As a side note, it seems that comics can be read far faster than novels, at least that's what I'm finding. Which is not surprising I suppose, as there's far less reading but you have to take the time to appreciate the illustrations.

2. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Well, since you've read all adult SW novels (I'm assuming both Legends and canon, or?), you can, but certainly don't have to read any comic series chronologically. Legacy is probably the best post-ROTJ Legends comic series ever, so definitely check that one out. Crimson Empire is good too if you're focusing on post-ROTJ comics only, and you may want to check out Invasion. Although beware that Invasion wasn't finished and the story is left somewhat unresolved.

Other than those post-ROTJ comics, I cannot recommend enough Dark Times, if you're interested in stories set immediately after ROTS. Republic is a must read version of the Clone Wars and KOTOR is a classic. Knight Errant, Agent of the Empire and Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison are really good as well.

From the new Marvel canonical comics, Lando is fantastic and I highly recommend Darth Vader and Kanan. Those three are wrapped up, and you can pick the Lando TPB and Kanan Omnibus right now. Darth Vader isn't collected into a single volume yet, but if you want to check that series now, you can certainly get the individual TPBs.

Those are mine recommendations for the comics.

Enjoy!

Darkslayer and JABoomer like this.
  3. JABoomer

Oct 23, 2009
    I read paperbacks, so the only novels I have not read are Bloodline, Catalyst, Rogue One, and Aftermath: Life Debt. I've read all Legends novels.

That would probably be my favorite time period but I am open to everything.

Much appreciated!

spicer likes this.
  4. JABoomer

Oct 23, 2009
    Can someone explain to someone who is new to comics what the difference is between a volume and an omnibus?

Like I said I would be interested in "collected stories" like I found in a bound copy of the Dark Empire trilogy.

5. Jmacq1

Jmacq1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2005
    "Volumes" are generally single story arcs collected into one book. An "Omnibus" is often the entire series (or a large chunk of it) collected into one big book.

Basically, a "Volume" will generally have about 4-6 individual issues collected in it. An "Omnibus" probably has 25+, but at least 12.

Jedi Ben and JABoomer like this.
  6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Trade terms are a minefield unto themselves, head over to the general Marvel news and trades thread for advice on that.

7. Old Rex

Old Rex Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 28, 2015
    Gdasdaszc
    zxz

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

8. JABoomer

Oct 23, 2009
    I'm still finding comics to be a mess. The wookiepedia articles are really helpful in determining issues, volumes, and omnibuses within each comic series, but finding what I want in the bookstore and online is still difficult.

Are comics not like novels where they are always in print? It seems like the Legacy omnibus (books 1-3) are not available in traditional bookstores and super expensive on amazon.

9. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    I only buy individual comics -- and at this point in my life -- only Star Wars comics.

The Omnibuses seem to be too unfriendly to me -- reminding me of telephone books.

There are really soooooooooooooo many comics that are awesome, great, good, okay, decent, meh, and fire kindling. And then there are times when the art is so gorgeous the story can be less important -- and vice versa.

I think I have nearly every last comic ever printed aside from variant covers and such -- I think it is about 7-10 long boxes worth -- and I use both sides of a bag and board.

To answer your last question -- yes. Some trades and omnibuses and collections are limited, some keep coming, some are in limbo, etc. Some are hard to find and some probably can be got on eBay for a song. I couldn't tell you why it is the case outisde of offering the same guesses anyone else would such as popularity, sales, copyrights, etc.

If you like Dark Empire I would suggest all the Dark Horse books from that time period. DE II, Crimson Empire [all 3 volumes], the Thrawn Trilogy, Empire's End, and then dive into the Legacy books too that I believe comprised 3 distinct volumes.
    Incidentally - I live in NYC and back in the day there were comic shops all over the place and in holes in the wall. I remember tracking down copies of Dark Empire that were so frickin rare -- before eBay was an option -- and paying ~$50 per issue for ones I missed. Ah the good ole days? lol

I was also a HUGE fan of Knights of the Old Republic. The John Jackson Miller series was fantastic -- especially if you played the video games. You ca always go back and read the earlier KotoR with Exar Kun and Uliq Qel-Droma -- but I'd read them out of order.

Also -- the Knight Errant series was fantastic -- and the novel that accompanies it was amazing as well.

That should keep you pretty busy as far as both locating and then reading --- but everyone has a favorite and it certainly is subjective. Regardless of what you choose -- you've got years worth of printed material and tons of amazing stories in front of you -- gotta admit I'm a little jealous.

spicer, Jedi Ben and JABoomer like this.
  10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    (My emphasis)

Absolutely not! Books do indeed go out of print and the price then skyrockets! All of DHC editions will, probably, go up in price though it's case-by-case.

For reading the likes of Legacy and KOTOR, I'd suggest you instead opt for the Marvel Epic collections, there'll likely be 3 for each but only one has been done so far as a more cost-effective option.

Jedi Princess likes this.
  11. JABoomer

Oct 23, 2009
    Fair, I guess my point is you can order all 175 Star Wars novels at Indigo in Canada right now, but comics are definitely hit and miss.

Do you figure there will ever be reprints for the Legacy omnibuses (or other Legends collections)?

12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The Marvel Epic editions are the closest you'll get to Marvel re-issuing them. The one benefit of those is larger page size too.

Of course, with the licence moving from DHC to Marvel DHC were not permitted to keep their SW books in print. Generally DHC have kept items in print if they sell, but in this case, it was out of their hands.

If you're buying the Marvel oversized hardcovers of the new material, the rule is get them as they come out. Deluxe hardbacks can go out of print quicker.

The eleven-thirty-eight article in my sig may be of help to you too.

JABoomer likes this.
  13. episodenone

Jun 13, 2001
    I'd add a link to Comixology to that interesting 1138 post.

With the vast majority of LCS's closed in NYC along with the fact I am older and other responsibilities preventing me from heading to the shop every Wednesday it is a life saver. Anytime I hear of a new title I quickly "subscribe" to it and then, despite when the book truly hits the shelf -- it will be ordered and pulled for me.

I have found the vast majority of comic shops use it now -- I can't imagine that even if they pay a fee to Comxiology [which might be owned by Amazon] that is would not be worth it for them.

You can search by your zip and find ones close by -- and I usually pop in every 2 or 3 months to grab my "stack" and then giddily skip home! :)

-----

On another note -- TPBs vs Omnibus-types vs single issues... I like the feel of comics and the look of the art on the covers. The nostalgia is enough for me to skip Trades. In the old days pre-internet -- perhaps the only way to communicate with creators, publishers, and other fans were the letter columns. I have my name in a few Star Wars comics that I am incredibly proud of. Nowadays that really is a waste of paper for the publisher.

When you go back the Vertigo published books, and Comico, and Dark Horse --- the letters columns were often worth the price of admission.

Trades do look a hell of a lot cooler on your bookshelf -- that's for sure. Especially if care was given in designing the binding.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Reason I haven't included Comixology is I haven't gone into digital so I'm not able to talk about it - my comics expertise is in the physical realm only! ;) Don't suppose you'd be interested in doing a digital counterpart to it? Could well be useful to people.

Trades do look nice and they're far easier to store and move around.

15. episodenone

Jun 13, 2001

I don't do digital either. I use it purely to check off books I want to be in my pull box when I eventually go to my LCS. Digital Comics? Meh - I have no interest in reading comics on a tablet.

I could type up something about how I use it to pluck single issues or subscribe to new series and link them to your own LCS so that they are there when you are. But the digital stuff I honestly have no clue about. Let me know -- and if you prefer to PM me -- PM me :)
    I'm happy to help fellow peeps to get on board -- the more people buy comics the more comics they'll make and the more fun I get to have reading them! :)

Jedi Ben likes this.
  16. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I second this recommendation on trades. I have tried single issues, digital, hardcovers, and trades and trades are by far my favorite. They are sturdy, take up less space than hardcovers, and can be stored alongside single issue comics.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  17. episodenone

Jun 13, 2001

I think it probably goes without saying -- but if I were going to get into the comics now there is absolutely no way in heck I would go for single issues. I'd agree TPBs are the way to go. As far as tracking them all down -- as a completist -- I'm not sure there is any way outside of individual issues to find every last one. The trades theoretically are published to capitalize on the most popular stories -- and the most popular stories are likely to be the best -- so I see no reason to look for the majority of stuff that can't be found somewhat easily.

In fact - if you take all our recommendations and decide what path you choose -- availability might be the next criteria to jump on.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  18. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    In case it wasn't clear from @episodenone's post, comiXology offers a couple of different services. Their bread and butter is their digital comics, but they also offer a service called "Pull List" that allows you to find a local comic book store that partners with them and order your physical comics automatically. You can pick them up in store, or some stores even offer delivery, you'll have to see what's available in your area.

You can learn more here.

episodenone and Jedi Ben like this.
  19. JABoomer

Oct 23, 2009
    So I'm beginning to get the hang of the comics. I did buy a few Dark Horse Omnibuses (Dark Empire 1, & 2, Legacy 2 & 3) before I realized that the new Marvel Epic Collections were re-printing the same material in a new format.

Do we expect the Epic Collection to continue to be produced and eventually incorporate most of the Dark Horse material? I've been debating whether to try and find the Thrawn Trilogy and Crimson Empire Omnibuses, but if they will eventually turn up in future Epic Collections I'll just wait.

20. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Yes, the Epic Collections are still being produced, but at a relatively slow pace. It may take years to re-print all of the Dark Horse comics in that format. If you can find the original Dark Horse Omnibuses for reasonable prices, then I suggest you buy those. Alternatively, you can check Marvel Unlimited for the digital versions of the comics.

JABoomer likes this.
  21. AV-6R7

AV-6R7 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    They actually put out a good number a year, but the way they do it, any given series won’t be finished for years.

22. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Correct, there are several Epic Collections published each year, but only one Epic Collection per series. For example, when it comes to larger (over 15 issues) ongoing series, it took 3 years for the Epic Collections to collect Dark Times. Series like KOTOR and Legacy volume I are also taking as long. So if one wants to read one of the ongoing single series as soon as possible, waiting on the Epic Collections is not ideal.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    AV-6R7 and Jedi Ben like this.
  23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The pattern in terms of which Epic edition will be next is, as far as I can tell, no pattern whatsoever!

24. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    In canon: The Lando miniseries
    In Legends: Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison

spicer likes this.
  25. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Epic Collection Legacy Volume II will release this month and then the Clone wars Volume II will release in April.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018