main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Star Wars: Commander (new Rebellion Era iOS strategy game)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rogue_Follower, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003

Story
    • Presumably set in between ANH and ESB given the presence of Han
    • Anyone recognize those ships that the Rebels have (e.g. at 0:15) New?
    • New male and female Rebel characters at 0:29. Wonder if they're existing characters that I'm not aware of, or original creations...
    • The Rebels are using a lot of surplus Old Republic vehicles (juggernauts, AT-ARs, AT-APs), which is a bit annoying. Though they also have some Seppie hardware (that looks like an AAT in the "cover art")
    • Is this Legends? New Universe? Non-canon? :p
    • It's free, which I assume means microtransactions to get better units, etc.
    • Will there be forceboat...?

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    We've been talking about it in the Disney Wars thread. There was a developer interview on Gamespot where they said that it's supposed to be canon, but only insofar as what you see in the game and not necessarily how the story plays out.

And there's supposed to be EU characters in it or something. All I've seen thus far are Dark Troopers.

3. vstarvan

vstarvan Jedi Master star 2

Aug 11, 2013
    Copy/pasted from the another thread:

4. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Force Commander sequel or GTFO.

Abadacus and Ender Sai like this.
  5. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I'm sure EA has scores of developers working on it as we speak.

6. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Force Commander Sequel (for PC!) good.

Rebellion (Supremecy for the Brits) Sequel better!

7. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    The Rebels are using CR-25 troop carriers, from what I can see.

Captain Kosh is in it. I like how the trailer has DT giving orders. Maybe they're the Imperial equivalent of tactical droids? That can actually fight.

8. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    That Tantor guy would be a natural fit for this. Force Commander reboot! Err, dark and gritty re-imagining!

9. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    What I found odd is the lack of Luke... Anybody playing as rebels has seen him? In the splash screen we see only Han, Leia and Vader.

10. vstarvan

Aug 11, 2013
    I'm playing on the Rebellion side, and there's no sign of Luke. Perhaps Luke is busy doing Heir to the Jedi things;)

11. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    I'm playing as the empire and while I am enjoying it, damn they really do just want you to pump money into it to get ahead. You really hit a wall with how quickly you can upgrade buildings/research/train once you get up to around chapter 4. Not unexpected for a free iOS game but still a bit disappointing given that I am actually enjoying it.

12. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I was looking at the iTunes listing for it and the second I saw stats on "Top In-App Purchases" I passed.

Cynical_Ben and Matt Skywalker like this.
  13. StrikerKOJ

StrikerKOJ Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2014
    Clash of clans with a Star Wars skin. That said, it's a solid product if you're into that kind of game. The AI still leaves something to be desired but I'm sure it will improve.

CommanderDrenn likes this.
  14. vstarvan

Aug 11, 2013
    Guess what's now officially re-imported into canon?
    [​IMG]

15. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008

it was already imported into canon in ep 4 special edition

TheRedBlade likes this.
  16. vstarvan

Aug 11, 2013
    Oh yeah... that blink-and-you-miss-it cameo. Considering Disney's new canon, it could have easily been retconned or ignored. It was nice to see The Outrider being used to transport rebel resources, thus truly cementing it within the new canon.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Haven't made a single in-app purchase and don't intend to. So don't let that stop you.

However, as with many iOS games, it seems it's designed mostly to NOT be played since you spend most of your time just waiting -- so you may want to pass for the reason that it's boring as hell.

18. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Yeah, I played Tiny Death Star for like two days and had enough--I'm assuming this is the RTS equivalent of that.

19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    TDS is better bc you at least felt like you got something for your wait. You unlocked levels and characters (I wanted to get the throne room or the museum so badly).

Commander... doesn't really change at all. You get better stormies with more pew pew. Yay?

Cynical_Ben and CooperTFN like this.
  20. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    It seems to me like Commander is pretty much a Star Wars version of Command & Conquer: Tiberium Alliances or Evony (formerly known as Civony).

21. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    No, it's a rip-off of Clash of Clans, a game that it's a rip-off of Travian, a game that it's a rip-off of...

22. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Exactly what I was getting at, a Star Wars version of all of those time wasters strategy games that also require spending money in order to actually accomplish anything of significance.

23. Hamawald

Hamawald Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 14, 2014
    Spending money isn't necessary at all, you can get, unlock and play everything in the game without that. The problem is of course that if you don't spend money the progress will be very slow, but both free and complete!

24. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    That's exactly what I meant, either it takes a ridiculously long time to actually accomplish something or you can spend money to move the process along quickly.

25. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    I really wish the game had done something to set it apart, but it's just another Clash of Clans copy.