main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Star Wars: Commander (new Rebellion Era iOS strategy game)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rogue_Follower, Aug 21, 2014.

1. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Or "Malachor Company" if you roll with the Alliance, and they are a bunch of Cad Banes and Aayla Securas.

2. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Actually...
    Sort of both? I think they're there, but only in the background of the static "cover art" for the missions. See the very beginning of this video.

Screenshot:
    [​IMG]

Haven't been able to find a higher resolution version online, and the relevant missions are no longer available so I can't go back and check, but if I remember correctly, they were sitting at a table playing cards or something. If so, that might be a funny reference to Ody's "dealer's visor" headgear.

But besides that it's a very generic red desert planet.

3. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    I see two of them wearing that headgear.

It also has a green sky, so it's not exactly like Geonosis. Nice.

4. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i have had to spend a little money, but i really like this game now.

5. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    This game, for me now, is getting my credits/alloys twice a day, and every couple of days upgrading a building.

6. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    Seeing all these microtransactions hurts my little boy Age of Empires/Galactic Battlegrounds/Pharaoh-loving heart. =((

7. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Ooo...Age of Empires. I got an urge to dig up my old CD and load it up to play this for a bit...mostly because I wanted to do a ton of archer spam and Warcraft is rather disappointing in that department. I never appreciated this game much back in the day though, and oddly enough the graphics seem to hold up quite well for such an old game.

8. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013

Yeah, the original one... several inconveniences, losing workers behind buildings, all that jazz... but gimme some Hittites and catapults and I'll reminisce like crazy. AoE II improved a lot of stuff and I still play Rise of Nations quite a bit (good replay value with all the different world-spanning era/nation options), but that original one had a charm to it.

I seriously just can't imagine shoving microtransactions into that flow.

WMIRTUTSF likes this.
  9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Speaking of RTS games, can we have anew Force Commander please? The game was ugly and dated but it was awesome.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

10. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    How well is Force Commander regarded around here? I recall reading a review way back in the day that basically said it was a horrible and clunky game despite its ambitious attempt at trying to do a 3D RTS game.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Havac and I both think it's excellent. Everyone who disagrees is wrong.

DelRiego likes this.
  12. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Urgh. Lit is devolving into a "if Havac thinks X it is X" society.

I mean, just because that's invariabily true doesn't mean we should accept it. HE IS BUT A MAN. (With a man's courage. Nothing but a man....)

13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh no, Havac is wrong plenty of times. It's just that when the two of us actually agree on something, then everyone else has to be wrong by default.

14. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    No I'm not. Your face is wrong plenty of times, though.

It's an awesome game. Basically most of the negativity on the game is about how hard the camera is to control. I've literally never had an issue with the camera. It's not even remotely hard to place and move. Everybody is either overthinking it and trying to move and pan and angle it way more than they actually have to, or they're just dumb. But the game plays well, it's lots of fun, it's got a nifty soundtrack, and it's actually got a pretty strong story and cast for an RTS that's really well executed and integrated into the game. There's a lot of interesting tidbits for EU lovers, too.

blackmyron likes this.
  15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Also it has the McQuarrie Imperial Palace, which is wonderful.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

16. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    Speaking of Star Wars RTS... the Empire at War pack is $6.79 on Steam if anyone's curious about that mess.

17. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    All right, I'm downloading the demo now. If my camera revolts or my AT-ST's start shooting at me or some other disaster ensues, I'm blaming you.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Unfortunately I can only play FoCom on low graphics because the outdated engine can't recognize my graphics card. That's too painful to countenance.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

19. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    i could not even get on the game when i first tried. But they did an update, and now i can. i am enjoying it, but it crashes a lot lately

20. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I am taking part in the current Galactic Tournament. I am currently in the second best league in rankings. I can see why it takes so long to upgrade everything. The game encourages you to attack other players to keep things interesting.

21. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    not doing the tournaments. i have been bad though. i sunk $40 in to this game in a few weeks.[face_shame_on_you]

they make it impossible to get enough crystals.

22. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    New campaign is up: The Blood Dawn. Imperial forces on Er'kit are under attack from a mysteriously reactivated Clone Wars-era droid army. Thalassian slavers are involved in some way.

Also, Barriss_Coffee, one of the new voiced characters is an Er'kit native named Dyro Felldor, an Imperial ally. Still no Er'kit units though.

[​IMG]

EDIT: Some exposition, with HNN references!

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  23. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Dyro Felldor is also your contact if you play for the Alliance. [face_thinking]

24. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    All campaigns are essentially the same, regardless of whether you are Alliance or Imperial. This is the same for your contacts.

--Adm. Nick

25. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Names have changed before, though.