main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Star Wars: Commander (new Rebellion Era iOS strategy game)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rogue_Follower, Aug 21, 2014.

1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Pfft, my group was created weeks ago. Check out "RebelHighCommand". :D

--Adm. Nick

Alixen likes this.
  2. Alixen

Alixen Jedi Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    Hear that, my fellow Imperials? We have a new enemy. AdmiralNick22, and his RebelHighCommand. I bet they don't even know Mon Mothma.

3. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Or, worse yet, they *do* know Mon Mothma.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  4. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    That's not a very fun name Nick.

How about "the Dapper Trappers."

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    More like Admiral Lackbar.

6. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Now we are under Veers' command; seeking out a traitor who is selling Imperial weapons.

7. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Always liked Veers. Now that's an army commanding officer, if you ask me.

darklordoftech likes this.
  8. DelRiego

Mar 12, 2002
    Her full name is Liana Kor.

Also, she said this

[​IMG]

Which annoys me; because the word 'fascist' has a very terrestrial root. The Italian word fascio is used to name a political group and acquired its famous meaning through the Fasci Italiani di Combattimento, which evolve into the Fascist Party. The EU would have made up a planet called Fascia which had a dictatorship thousands of years ago to justify the term and cover for this writer's blunder... but nowadays...*sigh* [face_waiting]

EDIT: She is deservedly working on Kessel now.

Starkeiller likes this.
  9. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Yeah, I also miss these convoluted and completely unnecessary retcons that ignored every single word in the English language has an Earthly origin. Every. Single. One. I mean, take lightsaber. Saber comes from the Hungarian word szablya.

GUESS WHAT THERE'S NO HUNGARY IN THE GFFA

10. DelRiego

Mar 12, 2002
    yeah... It ain't the same. This is a word which acquired another meaning/usage in addition to its original one based on what happened. Next we'll hear about Han being on a Mexican standoff , Leia getting a brazilian wax and Luke using karate to fight.

11. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    So does most things about the Galactic Republic and Empire, like how their histories are based on the Roman Republic and later Empire. In the very country you just complained about. :p

12. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009

Ah, but the word's origins are on an insignificant world of Tatooine, where 25.000 years ago a shark-looking animals called Shabr used to live and eat an occasional native. When the Rakata attacked, the locals who had no name for them called them Shabr because of their resemblance to the beasts. Because of a misunderstanding in language (the Rakata thought that when the natives shouted "Shabr!" they were saying what they preferred to be killed with) the Rakata ended up calling their weapons "Sabers." With Xesh the word entered into Jedaii vocabulary.

And let's not even go into detail with the Darth coming from a Rakatan word Daritha coming from the name of the first Rakatan Emperor, who herself was named after a dog.

13. DelRiego

Mar 12, 2002
    Can't wait to visit a wild west planet and a 30's era gangster planet.

14. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    What's next? Naming a fleet after a Japanese sword?

Main difference here is that 99.9% of the population hear "fascist" and don't think "hey, Mussolini's party!".

But I understand these are just pet peeves, and we all have ours, I would be very annoyed if "generalissimo" ever entered the Star Wars lexicon, but for very different reasons. Every time I hear Stan Lee calling himself "Generalissimo Lee" I wonder how "Führer Lee" would fly.

Valin__Kenobi and DelRiego like this.
  15. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I'm surprised Denning hasn't mentioned that in a book yet.

I also remember quite a fuss over the word Consecrate...

16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Wasn't Thrawn referred to as "shogun" in one of the WEG books- maybe Dark Empire Sourcebook? Or was it only Publius's fan-work that used the term?

http://web.archive.org/web/20120204063509/http://www.domuspublica.net/analysis.html

17. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    There are ships named Chimera and Manticore and Basilisk and Gorgon and Hydra guys. Let it go.

Revanfan1 and Iron_lord like this.
  18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Just Publius. It's a description by analogy.

As for fascist, I don't care so much. It's a genericized noun that has little to do with the historical context. We don't need to say that it's a reference to ancient Notron every time we want to use a Roman root word, for goodness sakes. I mean, Palpatine is an emperor -- that is a generic monarchical title that specifically has to do with Roman emperors. Galaxy comes from the Milky Way looking, y'know, milky. Poof, we can't have the Galactic Empire.

And on and on. Fascism only looks off because it's less than 100 years old. But given the specific historical inspiration of SW, it's more than appropriate. It's different from contemporary nonsense like "Homeworld Security."

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

DelRiego and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  19. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    I know this is off-topic, but anyone know if this game is coming to Windows Phone?

20. DelRiego

Mar 12, 2002
  21. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    How can my phone not run this game?

22. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    have not played this game, from the reviews it seems underdeveloped. might wait till more updates happen.

23. Hamawald

Hamawald Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 14, 2014
    "Fascist", along with every other word (almost) in Star Wars is a "translation" of Basic to make us understand. Fascist is just the English equivalent of whatever word that means fascist in Basic. It's no big deal, really...

DelRiego likes this.
  24. Hamawald

Hamawald Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 14, 2014
    EDIT: Just checked Wookieepedia and saw that Basic and English actually are the same. Sorry, guys, my mistake! But I still prefer what I just wrote.
    (I accidentally replied to my own thread instead of editing at first, hence the double post.)

25. DelRiego

Mar 12, 2002
    What phone is it? The 520 can't run most.