main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars Commander = World War II Commander

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Dark_Assassin, May 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark_Assassin

Dark_Assassin Jedi Padawan star 4

May 15, 2003
    Which Star Wars Commander reminds you or is like a World War II commander.

Thrawn = Rommel Scary similarites :eek:

2. Terranix

Terranix Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 6, 2001
    General Grevious (we've only ever seen him in the EU, so far...) & Patton. I reckon the former would've been well up for greasing his vehicles with the entrails of his foes, as the latter was known to advocate.

3. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    Veers seems to have many similarities with Guderian.

4. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    In terms of command power, Admiral Ackbar is very similar to Fleet Admiral Ernest J. King, Chief of Naval Operations and Commander in Chief of the United States Fleet.

Like Ackbar, King was the top naval officer.

--Adm. Nick

5. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Third Stormtrooper from the right is based quite blatently on some random German Soldier guy.

But if we're just looking for Commanders Pellaeon=Doenitz

6. yoda_likes_butts

yoda_likes_butts Jedi Youngling

May 1, 2004
    I'd say Vader was Like Stalin.

And Krix Maydeen was Montgomery.

7. yoda-eats-cake

yoda-eats-cake Jedi Youngling

May 1, 2004
    I think I'd say Palpatine is most like Hitler. Both were dictators who became drunk and addicted to power. they demanded more and more until they were corrupted beyond repair by it. both set out on a campaign to erradicate a race. With Hitler, it was the Jews. With Palpatine, it was the Jedi.

Scary how these comparisons can be made?

8. Terranix

Nov 6, 2001
    Much of that's pretty innacurate...

Palpatine was more like Stalin.

9. JoruusCbaoth

JoruusCbaoth Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2003
    I'd agree that Palpatine is more like Stalin, given his total lack of regard for the lives of his subjects, and his willingness to throw endless waves of forces at an enemy rather than beat them with superior strategy and tactics.

10. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    Excuse me?

The Endor-trap was brilliant (safe for a defense-perimeter around the shieldgenerator and the imperial fleet not attacking the rebels) and only a tiny fraction of the forces Palpatine had at his command was there.

11. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    "I'd say Vader was Like Stalin."

You're kidding right?

Vader was a genius and a ferocious warrior. Stalin was a coward who nearly lost the Russians World War II.

I'd say Vader was more like Oda Nobunaga. Supremely ruthless, a cunning warrior, and universally feared.

12. tyderium1111

tyderium1111 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 28, 2003
    Stalin was a coward who nearly lost the Russians World War II.

Wah? It was the Russians that screwed Hitler in the end. Though, I suppose that was mostly nature's doing.

13. quad_gun_jinn

quad_gun_jinn Jedi Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    Yeah it was the cold that got Germany. All the russians had to do was watch the German tanks breakdown because they were never meant to run in that sort of weather

14. tyderium1111

tyderium1111 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 28, 2003
    More or less.

15. Dark_Assassin

May 15, 2003
    Thanks for all of your opinions.

But, with Rommel = Thrawn

1. They had great tactics.

2. They did more than their men.

3. Calm and

4. With their great tactics they had bad defeats.

16. JoruusCbaoth

Apr 14, 2003
    FTeik

"The Endor-trap was brilliant (safe for a defense-perimeter around the shieldgenerator and the imperial fleet not attacking the rebels) and only a tiny fraction of the forces Palpatine had at his command was there."

It could have been a lot more brilliant than it was. The deception necessary to get the Rebels gathered into one place was masterful, but the advantages of the Death Star were not used to their fullest extent, and the enormous numbers of capital ships were practically useless without the commanders being able to fight as they were trained to. Unleashing a fighter screen to be cut to ribbons by Rebel capital ships AND fighters is not a smart idea, it left the mother ships defenseless against Rebel torpedo runs.

But my above post was referring more to Shadow Hand.

17. Dark_Assassin

May 15, 2003
    I have to agree with you Joruus. Even the Corellian Blockade Runners had a chance against the ISD's

18. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    Kre'fey is rather like MacArthur, given how those two had somewhat of an insubordiante streak in them at times.

19. Terranix

Nov 6, 2001
    "Unleashing a fighter screen to be cut to ribbons by Rebel capital ships AND fighters is not a smart idea, it left the mother ships defenseless against Rebel torpedo runs."

Bah. I don't believe the Imperials were anything like as incompetent/hopeless at Yavin IV or Endor as EU add-ons to film action made them out to be. I remember a time when I used to like Wedge and all the Rogue Squadron stuff but now there's nothing I'd love more than to see 'ole Maarek blow through them in a Defender.

20. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    This isn´t from the EU, it is from ROTJ itself, where "only the fighters attack the rebel-fleet" and the capital ships of the empire "have to ensure, that nobody escapes".

@Joorus:

Because of that i said "and not ordering the imperial fleet to attack".

Otherwise we have to decide, what we want:

If the imperial fleet attacks, the empire probabely can´t use the superlaser because of fear of hitting its own ships. If they use the superlaser, they should target the most important rebel-ships first (HomeOne), what wasn´t done.

Hmmm, i wonder, if Shadowhand was really such a waste. IIRC, the DESB claims, that the empire had less forces compared to the NR and with that they managed to conquer nearly the entire galaxy back. The empire probabely became a victim of its own success.

And even if, the DE-Palpatine wasn´t the same man as the movie-Palpatine. Concerning his sanity, i mean.

21. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    You don't know how many TIEs those Endorian Impstars retained with them. The movie just shows a swarm coming at you. Those arrowheads wouldn't have been running with a full complement; there'd have been untold hundreds of the H-wings out there.

And it goes without saying that Impstars have lots more ships in their subsidiary hangars: Blastboats, assault gunboats, Sentinel shuttles, etc.

22. JoruusCbaoth

Apr 14, 2003
    Fteik

This basically leaves us with two options for the Endor battle.

1. The fighters occupy the Rebels while the Death Star picks off Rebel capital ships one by one

or

2. The massive Imperial fleet moves into turbolaser range, and some sort of capital ship brawl ensues

Option one looked like it was going to happen, as it was a pretty smart idea. Problem is, the superlaser didn't fire more than three times or so. The biggest Rebel ship at the battle (Home One) was left untouched, and the Rebels forced option 2 by moving into cannon range themselves. So then what? I have a hard time buying the idea that Palpatine wouldn't fire through his own ships to hit the Rebels if he were fully competent.

But I agree fully that the Dark Empire Palpatine isn't nearly as calm and collected as the one seen on film. He seemed to have a modicum of intelligence in DE, but even then we see Rebel planners predicting "wave assaults" from the Core. In DEII, he went straight to hell, ranting and raving almost ceaselessly.

I will agree with you that Shadow Hand was successful from a territorial occupation standpoint, but in terms of long-term planning or tactics, it was awful. Had it been properly planned, the Empire wouldn't have lost the vast majority of its holdings within months of Palpatine's last death.

23. Terranix

Nov 6, 2001
    He had clearly lost whatever it was that had made him history's most dangerous Sith Lord/the Emperor by the time of DE.

Cos Palpatine died aboard the Death Star. It is a testamanet to the sheer scale of his evil that the lunatic half-life stirred to sentience in a Byssian cloning tank was able to able to come so close to breaking the New Republic forever.

24. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Wah? It was the Russians that screwed Hitler in the end. Though, I suppose that was mostly nature's doing.

Stalin wasn't that brillient at tactics, and the only reason that the Russians won was the winter and the fact that they were prepared for it.

25. CaptainArdiff

CaptainArdiff Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 1999
    Hmm, Admiral Gunter Lutjens is quite similar to Rogriss. Both were professional officers who fought for their country despite moral disagreements with the regimes. Admittedly, Lutjens never defected, but had Rogriss also been killed on his mission to kill off Zsinj, he'd not have defected in the later X-Wing book.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.