main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars Community News Forum

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Obi-pres, Mar 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-pres

Obi-pres Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    I was talking to some friends and I thought about something that would be really neat and helpful to those who read it. What if I made this topic in the community that gave news/happenings/important events that happen all over the JC? Like, I was thinking I could get some friends to help me out by monitoring some different boards and then PMing me some of the major news and contreversy that happens all over the boards everyday. I could call them my reporters. Then everyday we would make like a little news cast for everyone in the JC to come and see. Then, I also thought about a little News Community Search Engine. People could ask questions about where certain forums are or where something could happen soon and then my repoters and myself could go out and find what they are looking for on the JC. How does that sound? I hope you consider it. I think it sounds awesome.

Obi-pres

Locked at author's request

2. StarFire

StarFire Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2001
    I'll personally volunteer to report on the happenings in Mod Squad. Really.

3. Obi-Wan__Kenobi

Obi-Wan__Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 1, 2003
    I like the Idea

I get SWC

4. Obi-pres

Aug 6, 2002
    Well, thanks. But I was kinda wondering if we could find people to just monitor certain boards and then if there are any Mod Squad happenings there you can report it. JUst like take some notes or somethihng and PM them to me. Some quotes would be nice too. But remember, I don't know if they will let me yet so...

5. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    If anyone cares what we've been discussing in the Mod Squad, they can read the Mod Squad updates.

"Like, I was thinking I could get some friends to help me out by monitoring some different boards and then PMing me some of the major news and contreversy that happens all over the boards everyday"

I don't think that linking to and discussing the "controversy" here is a good idea.

6. Obi-pres

Aug 6, 2002
    Well, I thought it would be a good idea to get some important upcoming dates or facts about the JC and then telling the whole JC by a newscast. I thought it would be a little bit more fun. But, if you don't think I should do it I guess I will have to agree with you judgement.

7. dArTh_wenley

dArTh_wenley Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 10, 2001
  8. Obi-pres

Aug 6, 2002
    Yes i think it would. Thanks for the idea. Someone had metioned that too me before, but now there are two people suggesting it so I think that would be the better place to make it. What do you mods think about it?

9. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    I support this idea to the fullest extent. A notification system would not only be an interesting idea, but also a fun and enjoying form of linking all of the JC Forums together. :)

Ken Kenobi- And you have a nice day ;)

10. MightySpork

MightySpork Jedi Master star 4

Mar 7, 2003
    I think its a great idea! :D

11. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    I like this idea. It would be interesting. :)

12. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    I don't get it. If you're so interested in what's going on in other forums, why don't you just hang out there for a few days? Or, do a newsletter like Mr. P's illfated try at it, and post it in the JCC.

13. Obi-Wan__Kenobi

Mar 1, 2003
    Thats what he wants to do. He wants to make a news forum that would cover anything interesting that happened on the forums and post them in one place. People would have an easy way to see what is going on. It might also help people get into conversations. they could see something interesting and want to get involved,which could help the JC become more interactive than it already is.

14. Obi-pres

Aug 6, 2002
    March 22, 2003

Hello. Obi-pres Kenobi here with your daily JC news. We have had one exciting day. Obi-wan___Kenobi, over to you at the Star Wars Community. What has been going on over there?

Hey Obi-pres. Today has been exciting over here. We have been in many different kinds of things today. First of all, there was the contreversy over the new Survivor. Obi-pres created one but KenKenobi took over and said he already had it reserved. You and him must have worked out matters there because Ken has a new Survivor opened today: Survivor: Star Wars Battle of the Sexes. Then, in other news there was the new member into the Miscellaneous, Boba-Sith. Everyone please welcome him. I hope you have a great time here. I have also been monitoring the Star Wars Community Cantina which seems to be doing very well. It is getting very popular. I think before too long it will be as popular as te Obi-wan Kenobi Fan Club which has also gotten close to page 60 today. I would like to congradulate you Obi-pres for that stunning fan club of yours. Back to you.

Thank you for that piece of intresting news. Now, I would like to say that Ken, your survivor is a very good topic indeed. Now to go to our other fine reporter in the....

See... that is what it will be like. I will have my reporters to go around and find stuff from almost aall the really popular boards and get information. Do you like? I know I do. Anyways, I hope you think it is a good idea and consider it.

Obi-pres

15. Obi-Wan__Kenobi

Mar 1, 2003
    It would be similar to that only there would be more stuff, we just didnt have enough time or people to do this one good.

16. EmpressPalpatine

EmpressPalpatine Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 31, 2001
    what if it were a forum about the goings on for JC users? Places where people could post birthday threads, "I got a date tonite" type threads, Celibratory post counts, anniversary threads, "My dog had puppies" type threads and the like...even the dreaded "I'm leaving the JC" threads would have a home there.. might be an idea worth looking into..

17. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    what if it were a forum about the goings on for JC users? Places where people could post birthday threads, "I got a date tonite" type threads, Celibratory post counts, anniversary threads, "My dog had puppies" type threads and the like...even the dreaded "I'm leaving the JC" threads would have a home there.. might be an idea worth looking into..

Three letters: JCC

18. Obi-Wan__Kenobi

Mar 1, 2003
    Thats not a bad idea

19. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    In addition to what YodaJeff and Liz Skywalker said, I know a lot of people wouldnt want to hear a thing about what happens in the 3SA forum. You'd have to completely leave one of the most popular forums off the list.

In the end, if you want to know about what is happening in other forums, just visit the forum itself.

20. Obi-Wan__Kenobi

Mar 1, 2003
    but that would take a long time, and some people have slow computers. It would save a lot of time to look through all the boards.

21. EmpressPalpatine

EmpressPalpatine Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 31, 2001
    right, Liz, but the JCC is a social thread about things people are interested in, while this new forum would be devoted to the events in the lives of the users themselves.. It would clear a lot of stuff out of YJCC and with the impending reform, might be a good place to direct such type threads...

and Brandeis??? way to go!!!!

22. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    I think it's a good idea! :D

23. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Sure, let's just make the entire JC a place to discuss people's personal lives and get away from what we're intended to discuss here:

Star Wars.

If you're so inclined to know and talk about the JC, go form a spinoff board. Or start a JC chat. Or use PMs. Or talk about it in current social threads. There's already many sorts of venues to express this sort of thing.

And then, of course, discussing the "news" would end up turning things into a popularity contest and users would compete to try and get on the "news"...

Jolly jee whillickers.

24. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    "Jolly jee whillickers."

What?! 8-}

What RidingMyCaroselOnYou has posted was the same thing I was going to post. We are here to discuss Star Wars, not the members which I have learned now.

25. Obi-pres

Aug 6, 2002
    Okay, first of all, if you want to complain, complain to me. This was my idea and I don't want anyone else to get angry because of something said. Also, there would not be any competition between people trying to get on the news. I think that would just be dumb. Anyways, isn't there like a little thing called the mod squad where if people cause to much trouble.... repetitveness in bad behavior... the mods would ban them. So, then that would end most of the competition if anything like that ever started in the first place. Listen, also if someone was abusing this idea by just trying to get popular fast, then I would tell them otherwise and I wouldn't include them in the news anymore. I must respect your sayings mostly because you are mods and if you don't get your way you just start banning, but look at how many people agree with and love the idea. It would be a hit. And, that would make the JC a better place. How would this place be any good without some new stuff? Also, like Obi-wan___Kenobi said, some people's computers are very slow. And it would be like a dream come true if they could just gop and visit one topic (sit through only one process of loading a new page) to find out everything exciting that has happened in the JC. It would be so much better for those and even the people with the fast computers because I think it is just much easier to do that than surf the whole JC to find out something intresting. There is really nothing more that I can say besides, it is a great idea and I think it should be allowed. Thanks for your time.

Obi-pres

P.S. Even if the mods won't allow this, I would like to thank everyone who supported the idea. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.