main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars Complete Locations - coming in November from DK

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jawajames , Oct 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    from the press release:
    The dramatic culmination of DK's best-selling Inside the Worlds of Star Wars series, STAR WARS COMPLETE LOCATIONS (DK Publishing, November 2005, Hardcover) uess illustrations and text to reveal the incredible worlds and locations from every movie in the Star Wars saga, including Episode III: Revenge of the Sith.

Using photographs and blueprints, original scale models, and pre-production sketches from the Lucasfilm Archives at Skywalker Ranch in Northern California, the DK team has created the most fully realized fictional galaxy ever committed to celluloid--and a terrifically entertaining guide for Star Wars fans of all ages.

This unprecedented visual guide reveals and explains every detail of all of the Star Wars amazing locations, using cross-section artworks and intricate 3D maps--including awe-inspiring, four-page fold outs of the Rebel base on Hoth and the Mos Espa Arena.

With the inclusion of both new and old material to create a seamless overview of the entire Star Wars universe, detailed and authoritative text which reveals essential location background information; even the most dedicated fans will be amazed at the wealth of new information and detail crammed into this exhaustive guide. STAR WARS COMPLETE LOCATIONS is truly the must-have book for any fan to complete their collection of this series.

(Illustrated by Hans Jenssen and Richard Chasemore, hardcover, 176 pages, US $39.99)
    -----

look in it:
    Forward by Gavin Bocquet
    Contents:
    few pages of galaxy map/planet profiles
    14- 36 episode I locations
    58- 94 episode II locations
    96-122 episode III locations
    124-138 ANH
    140-154 ESB
    156-170 ROTJ
    index, acknowledgements.

few tidbits: Mustafar's gas giants are Jestefad and Lefrani. Mustafar's population is 20,000 and 35% of the surface is lava.

the ROTS pages include:
    the Coruscant battle (done as a holo-map)
    --tidbit: Squad Seven arrives from its support carrier, the Star Destroyer Ro-ti-Mundi
    Jedi Temple Complex, complete with Sith Containment Cells
    Palpatine's Office - that bas-relief.. is from Yavin 4, and Palpatine keeps his saber hidden in a statue of Sistros.
    Utapau - Pau City
    Kashyyyk - Wookiee Tree
    Battlefronts - including holodisplay of battle of Kachriho
    Mustafar - Mustafar Mines, Mustafar Duel - yup, Anakin and Obi-wan use the force to create cocoons of moderate temperature around themselves as they fight over the lava flow...
    Polis Massa
    Sith Medcenter (EmPal SuRecon) - includes sith holocron storage!

Overall, there is a lot of good stuff in this book, however there is a lot of repeated artwork/text from earlier Inside the Worlds books for the earlier movies.

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    It's already out here in the UK - I found it in a local bookstore last week.

3. Jon_Bidinger

Jon_Bidinger Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 18, 2003
    Can anyone confirm if it has everything that is in the first three plus new stuff for Revenge of the Sith?

4. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    i can check on that - i don't have the 'inside the worlds of the OT' but i can compare the TPM and AOTC books with their corresponding pages in the CL, but i don't think that the entire TPM or AOTC book is simply cut and pasted into the CL.

5. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    No Alderaan?

Uh-oh. Getting a bad vibe about this book...the crack of rifle fire in the distance, muffled by the trees. [face_tired]

6. eddie1969

eddie1969 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 3, 2005
    Thanks LAJ_FETT: It indeed is out in the UK already!!!! So I just ordered it at Amazon UK!!!!

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think the idea is supposed to b that while the art is more or less the same from the other books, the text is different.

8. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    one thing i remember from the Emperor's Throne Room page is that is mentions the Moff Panaka gift..

9. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    comparing the AOTC section of Complete Locations to the Inside the Worlds of AOTC (i'm not reading every single word, but looking at the shape and location of text areas)

Galaxy / Planet Profiles - since the CL has only a single galaxy map, it appears to include all the planets shown on the ITW:AOTC map, plus additional. the text for the galaxy map is obviously different as the CL focuses on the whole saga, while the ITW:AOTC gives a brief setup for how the galaxy is during AOTC. it also contains the planet profiles for Kamino and Geonosis from ITW, although to save space, the last 2 sentences of the Kamino profile have been deleted. the actual layouts of the profiles is also changed, with the planets at the base of their fact box rather than the top, and a fuller view of Geonosis and its rings seen in CL.

Coruscant overview page - same text and movie shots, only the title of the page is altered.
    Speeder Chase I / Speeder Chase II - no noticeable changes
    Outlander Club - unchanged
    Jedi Temple - title of page changed only (now Jedi Temple II in CL)
    Naboo Retreats / Kamino / Tipoca City / Military Complex - unchanged
    Tatooine is now Tatooine II
    Spaceports / Geonosis / Droid Factory / Execution Arena / Republic Army / Separatist Forces / Battle of Geonosis / Hangar Duels -- all unchanged

it appears that the entire core text of the Inside the worlds of AOTC is within the Complete Locations. nothing new added, and only a general description of the AOTC galaxy (Divided Galaxy) and two sentences (of 5) from the Kamino profile removed.

now to compare the ITW:TPM but my only version of that is in Czech and so the text might not line up easily, but i'll look to see if anything is obviously missing:

Only change:
    * ITW:TPM (Czech) - Anakin's Hovel opens up to be the Mos Espa Arena. In CL, the Mos Espa Circuit folds out for the Mos Espa Arena.
    * planet profiles might be different, galaxy text and map are different. image of Tatooine in ITW:TPM is not same as image of Tatooine in CL, but Naboo and Coruscant are the same image.
    * locations that are mentioned as page headings in mulitple movies are numbered as I for their TPM page.

Overall, i would say that if you don't have any of the Inside the Worlds books, you don't need to get them, get this instead! and if you do own the ITW, better sell those or give them away, and get this instead - everything in one book, with all new ROTS information!

10. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    I'm really looking forward to this, but I feel sorry for anyone who bought the other books and is now shelling out more hard-earned cash for this. Then again, 'tis the Lucas way...

11. President_Sharky

President_Sharky Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2004
    Those mother******* money grubbers. I already own AOTC:ITW and CT:ITW, so I'm going to shell out a lot more than I should for this. :mad:

12. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    got locations! thx amazon

I can answer questions as well if anyone wants something answered. and I think, it is worth the price, the Jedi temple complex is awesome. though I own the previous single books.. it is a must have.

13. Darth_Napoleon_MN

Darth_Napoleon_MN Jedi Master star 1

Jul 2, 2004
    This is already out. They have it at the Barnes & Nobles at Mall of America. Also saw it at a Borders as well. Amazon has the release date as 10/17.

14. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    I cannot wait to have this book in my hands. I've borrowed some of the Locations books from my local library, but it looks like my stinginess has paid off for once.

15. elegos7

elegos7 Jedi Knight

Sep 24, 2004
    Can anyone list the new locations from Revenge of the Sith?

I am especially interested in the Galactic Opera House.

16. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Afraid you will be disappointed then. From the table of contents for Episode III: Coruscant Battle, Jedi Temple Complex, Palpatine's Office, Utapau, Pau City, Kashyyyk, Wookiee Tree, Battlefronts, Mustafar, Mustafar Mines, Mustafar Duel, Polis Massa, Sith Medcenter.

17. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    Great, now I have to pay for crap I already own.

18. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    sell the books you already have, then you won't own them anymore. then get this book.

19. crestfallen

crestfallen Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 2003
    I'll get it with gift certificates from Waldenbooks.

20. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    Could someone post some interesting stuff that's in the ROTS section, someone usually posts a list.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.