Star Wars Convention: Gosforth Park Hotel, April 2007

Discussion in 'North' started by suzijedi, Jan 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. suzijedi Jedi Master

star 3
    I've heard that there's going to be a Star Wars convention at the Gosforth Park Marriott Hotel (Newcastle) sometime in April. Sounds like it's going to be something quite big and apparently the UKG will be in attendance and David Prowse will be there.

I've just rang the hotel and I've been told to phone thier events team tomorrow, so I'll do that in the morning and post again if I get anything more concrete!
  2. Ranouch_Heath Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hey Suez This sounds Right up our street as it will be on our doormat
    You best contact (Jace) Edgejedi88 to see if we can get costuming members of both the rebel legion and the 99th as well as some ffuk north members to attend.

3. Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager

star 6
    Any idea when in April?
  4. edgejedi88 Jedi Master

star 4
    Patience....:p

We're chatting to the UKG at the mo so will let you know as we know...unless you hear anything yourselves...:*
  5. Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager

star 6
    It's not that I'm impatient. I just don't want it to clash with my event :p
  6. edgejedi88 Jedi Master

star 4
    oops [face_blush]

you know that you would come first dont you Spike mate....always...
  7. Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager

star 6
    Well, that's what I'd hope :D

But also 'cos I'd wanna go to the Gosforth event too, but would have to miss it for mine :(
  8. timbolton Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Is this a new company doing conventions or one of kind sort of thing Jase? With it being the 30th anniversary, seems there may be a lot of these type of events appearing - eg, one in Exeter that I posted in South about already. Just PM me if it's a new company if you would, I am writing a calendar for the whole FF-UK for conventions and stuff in 2007 at the mo ;)

Edit: Forgot to add, not sure what else there is in April, but if I can do this ... I'll come to Newcastle for first time :)
  9. edgejedi88 Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, yeah....and that space at my place is STILL waiting for you - we do a muhc better breakfast than PTI :rolleyes:
  10. suzijedi Jedi Master

star 3
    There'll be space at my place too for people to stay...as long as this convention doesn't take place over the Easter weekend, 'cos I won't be here! :(

I've just phoned the hotel's event team and they don't have any further info apart from that one of their team met with someone about it and that's all she knew!
  11. nlindenj Jedi Knight

star 2
    Palpa-toon [face_skull] WILL be there, depending on if UKG will let us be in costume
  12. edgejedi88 Jedi Master

star 4
    <Sidious> Nige will make it legal <Sidious>
  13. AHP-233 Jedi Padawan

Oooh, I've not been to the Toon for a long time (last one was gig at Trillians - is that still going?)

Might have to make a trip (plus it's me Birthday in April too...)
  14. edgejedi88 Jedi Master

star 4
    Recognise this mate? Trillians still going nice and strong. They even had an OT Star Wars marathon there recently!
    [image=http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/1687/rl7uk001mediumhs5.jpg]

A combination of Rebel Legion and Fan Force raised over £200 that day....good memories - lets have some more!

Who did you see at Trillians then? Must have been metal...we do love our metal in the North eh....
  15. suzijedi Jedi Master

star 3
    Gosforth Marriott are no longer hosting this and it's now been moved to Newcastle Civic Centre (which is in the city centre, whereas Gosforth Park is a couple of miles on the outskirts).

Tentative date: 21 & 22 April
  16. Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager

star 6
    I have a bad feeling about this.

If not though, then Civic Centre is a lot more convenient than the Marriot at Gosforth.
  17. AHP-233 Jedi Padawan

I'm pretty sure that it was double header of teh Dogs D'amour and Black Crowes back in 1991 (but that might have been the Mayfair.

Either that or Love/Hate on their 1993 tour.

But I'm sure that I've been in the late 90's too.

Tyketto? Possibly.
  18. AHP-233 Jedi Padawan

HOORAY!!!!!!!!!

My Birthday weekend - definitely up for a bit o' the Toon then.

Will probably costume too....
  19. suzijedi Jedi Master

star 3
    Sie- apparently the date clashed with something else that the Marriott were hosting, so hence the change of venue.

According to the lady at the Civic Centre, it's being organised by the Royal Marines (which sounds a bit bizarre to me) and the Lord Mayor is going to be involved with a dinner on the Sat night (I'm guessing that's a private 'do'). I questioned her about the Royal Marines (to double check that it's definatly a convention and open to the public) and she confirmed that it will be open to the public and that Stormtroopers & Darth Vader will be there.

I've dealt with the lady I spoke to through my work, so she's got my work e-mail and she'll let me know when there are more details and by the sounds of it, Jase is on the case too.
  20. timbolton Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Does sound an odd set-up tbh, and most likely a one-off. Let's see how that develops.

Jase, Suzi - Thanks for the generosity, let's see :) I've been priced out of Travel Lodge in Bath for Feb btw lol, looking for B&B's there. £75 a night they were asking!!!
  21. Ranouch_Heath Jedi Knight

star 3
    All in all It sounds like a good event I would like to hear what jaces finds out from the 99th and the UkG members
    The fact that its sounds a bit dodgy I dont think it will be something like G Mex ! Also that the Royal Marines and the Lord Mayor are attending if for a dinner.

I suggest Caution ! Until more Information in known
  22. timbolton Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    It'll just be a smaller event Dave, nothing dodgy tbh. But small does not equal bad in my books, sometimes it's a more friendly environment. I'll look forward to what they do :D
  23. nlindenj Jedi Knight

star 2
    just checked the uk garrison website and they don't list this event at all

24. Disciple-of-Tython Force Ghost

star 4
    Count me in for sure!!!!:D
  25. suzijedi Jedi Master

star 3
    Just spoken to the lady at the Civic Centre and she's confirmed that this is a charity event and not a convention. She said the public could go on the Sunday, but there won't be stalls or anything like that.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.