main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL Star Wars costumes

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Schph_Gochi, Oct 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hazmatt

Hazmatt Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    ...and were afraid to ask.

2. xdaveyidx

xdaveyidx Jedi Youngling

May 2, 2005
    http://www.frontiermodels.co.uk/images/products/homerfett.jpg
    http://tinypic.com/4v2ubl

(also, why are the [​IMG]

3. flippingyodacola

flippingyodacola Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 27, 2003
    Goat, have you seen my armor?
    Does it really look that bad?

4. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    I had placed an online order for Cadett boots at Grand Prix. Looking at the order status, it said it was cancelled. I found their number and gave them a call. They said they no longer have those and don't plan to get any more. So, that well has run dry. It would have been nice if they would have sent me an e-mail keeping me informed.

I did find another pair of boots on eBay in an auction that ended on Sunday. They're brown, so I won't have to go through the process of painting them. I just hope it doesn't take that long to receive them.

Phil

5. DestinyFroste

DestinyFroste Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 6, 2002
    [color=660099]Phil, if you e-mail the seller and tell them of your time issue they usually are helpful. I bought both my Imp boots and my two-way the week before CIII and told the sellers that I needed them in under a week and they got them to me.[/color]

6. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    And Phil...get yer butt into your Quinlan Vos and

start experimenting with those arm wraps-they may have to be cut down a tad...that was some seriously stiff fabric...

check out the "look" of the cheater undertunic I sewed...does it "work"

and are the tabards too long?

and...have you figured out the Obi sash...put it front first ...wrap around...then tie in front under belt...
    like this:
    http://www.rebellegion.com/jedigarb/tabardobi.html

chop chop....

7. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Nov 26, 2000
    I still don't have a belt. I've only been able to worry about this costume one step at a time. I get paid on Friday, so I'd have to see about getting materials then.

Phil

8. flippingyodacola

Oct 27, 2003
    So Phil.. When do you want that wig by?
    I can get it done by the time you have those boots(heh)

9. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Nov 26, 2000
    I tried on the tabbards, tunic, and such yesterday. They seem to fit fine. I'm just going to use a thick, ordinary belt for now, although I plan to make a real one at the next costume club meeting.

I think it'd be best to drop off the wig at the Line at McClurg Court, 330 E. Ohio St. I was going to get in Line today, but I've got a bit of a cough. I may get extra rest today and get in Line tomorrow. We'll see.

Phil

10. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    cool beans Phil...I am glad that the pieces look ok.

I also would like to learn a little leatherworking...
    Until I get certain bills paid...I don't think I want to order any supplies just yet...
    It doesn't look too terribly difficult...I know Lionel does some leatherworking....we can all learn together...

11. flippingyodacola

Oct 27, 2003
    Woah..
    Theres no way I can get the wig done by that time, so I figure I'll just either actually finish the wig, or get you a wig and mod it..
    Be careful though, Phil..
    Ive tried to write something after taht statement 5 times now and still Im comming up with nothing.

12. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Nov 26, 2000
    That's fine. I do have a backup, that dreadlock wig that I got at a costume shop several years ago. So, there's no real rush on the wig. The next major con that I would go to would be Wizard World Chicago which is a few months away.

Phil

13. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Nov 26, 2000
    And since I haven't gotten it yet, what kind of makeup would you recommend for Vos' facial tatoos?

Phil

14. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    OK...
    Anyone with a completed costume..

please check this thread:

http://boards.theforce.net/Chicago,_IL/b10152/19658240/?7

If you might be available for the 5:00 am taping with Channel 7.....or the Fox News taping (205 No. Michigan Ave) at 7:00 am - 9:00 am...if you can do both...all the better...we will follow Ray Park and Rena Owen as they attempt to make their way down our Chicago Expressways from Woodridge to Michigan Ave

please post here, there, anywhere...send me a PM, send a smoke signal, telegraph message or passenger pigeon...

but do so before noon tomorrow!

15. flippingyodacola

Oct 27, 2003
    Woah.. Im going there now, and I'll edit this post...
    We will bring you makeup, Phil.

16. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    Phil....just gotta say...
    you looked awesome at the Premier...you have your starting point nailed...yes...the arm wrap need refinement...you will eventually get your belt...and your other wig...but it was FANTASTIC to see you in your Quinlan Vos....

The photos with Quinlan and Aayla will rock...as a person who does not read the comics...I didn't know that Aayla was Quinlan's padawan till Wednesday night...how awesome that the pair was ..well...paired for photos...

Congrats again! I think you enjoyed the whole costume thing...the yellow make-up stuff that we applied to your face seemed to work great....but...I would suggest some of that Ben Nye make-up sealer if you want to keep it on longer...it seems to hold my "Bariss" face diamonds in place rather well..

17. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    Next Costume club meeting?

We had a request for the Costume Club to do a session on basic sewing...which....would depend entirely on who would show up.....many of us that come don't need basic sewing....but if there are any folks out there interested in making a costume...that is where you start...

research
    fabric selection
    pattern selection

and all that before you pick up a needle...

Personally...I would like to learn some leatherworking...jedi belts and pouches mainly...

18. Master_Logard

Master_Logard Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    That request came from yours truly.

I have been seeing costumes for years now, and have the itch, the desire and the time to begin one.

Since I have NO CLUE WHAT-SO-EVER about how to put something together, includind sewing, I thought learning a skill might be a good place to start. I would like to costruct a jedi costume. Just a traditional one. The robes, the pants, tunic, the whole bit.

I have seen some amazing ones, including Phyllis'. So that all being said, I thought coming to you gals and guys for assistance with sewing was my first action.

Now, I don't want to waste costumer's time with my trivial request on learning to sew, so maybe we can have another session, just for learning the basics, such as sewing.

If it works out, I would be more than willing to work one-on-one with someone if they have the time to show me how to read a patter, use a sewing machine, etc. I will even buy food and drink to show my appreciation.

Thanks.

Mike.

19. iceburgh

iceburgh Jedi Youngling star 1

May 3, 2005
    WEll here's my costume... Still need better boots and a true utility belt. Though I also wanted my brown to be dark like Anakin's
    http://www.rebellegion.com/cos.asp?COSID=1171

20. Hawk-Bat

Hawk-Bat Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2003
    Does anyone have pics from the Opening?

21. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    Now, I don't want to waste costumer's time with my trivial request on learning to sew, so maybe we can have another session, just for learning the basics, such as sewing.

Once Faire is over (mid June), I should be able to show up to costuming club meetings and help those that need it. I'd also be willing to help out at a basics workshop, including shopping if it's needed.

In the meantime, if you are in the city or northern burbs, the Vogue Fabric store in both Evanston and Chicago offer basic sewing classes throughout the year. You can see the list of classes here. I've heard very good things about the classes.

~H~

22. VWChick1979

VWChick1979 Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2005
    Hi all!

If there's still going to be costume related meetings count me in. :) I got the itch to try and do a costume a few weeks ago, not enough time to put together a Leia ANH costume. But I managed to strike a deal with my boyfriend, if I can put together a full Han Solo costume for him he'll wear it :D So my plan is try and get that and Leia ready for Wizard World.

I've got the fabric for the dress and a Simplicity pattern to alter (needs the sleeves flared, the dress lengthened, and the hood added). I'm pretty good at sewing, however, I'm not the best at working with a pattern and I have never tried altering a pattern -- which I need to do for this and for the Hogwarts robe I want to make for the book release.

The hard parts for Leia are going to be the belt and boots. Fantasy HQ has perfect go-go boots but my fat claves won't fit in them! But I, too, would like a little leatherwork tutoring so I can make my belt :)

Then after I get my Leia and Hermione costumes pieced together then I gotta figure out Han. I'm gonna have a busy summer :D

23. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    Iceburg....we seem to be running into each other all over the place....

Basic sewing is a good thing....I assure you that I am not the greatest seamstress....I am still quite the novice. But I did jump in with both feet and am learning as I go along. One of the things that had helped me BIG time was the instructions that came with the pattern for my first Jedi tunic. Those instructions really cover a lot of ground.

If there are folks that are interested in learning to sew.....may I suggest that you decide what you want to make...and go find the fabric. We can start our first session on cutting the pattern...right side of fabric....yadda yadda yadda.....

I have some tutorials available for Jedi costumes....I can mail them to anyone who would like one.....just let me know.

....btw....when is the next meeting?

24. Hawk-Bat

Hawk-Bat Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2003
    So no pictures :(

25. flippingyodacola

Oct 27, 2003
    Chris, Check the Chicago Tribune website... There was one up of me and Emily, and there were 4 others that were unimportant..(to me)

As for the next meeting and meetings in general, I believe we are still on for June 5th, although as Gina knows, I will not be here for the first sunday in July, and the first sunday in August is WizardWorld.
    We should be able to work something out though..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.