Star Wars costumes

Discussion in 'Chicago, IL' started by Schph_Gochi, Oct 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bosh_Talk Jedi Master

star 4
    Kerry and I will swing by the Costume Club this weekend, and we'll bring a list of stuff and set up times/dates for the Casting. And if we can't fit 2 sessions in before my move, then I'm sure that like Thom says, he can take over where she leaves off if necessary. Especially if some people can make the first session but couldn't necessarily make the second; Thom could help them at a future session. I don't think it's that hard to do, but there are tricks to the trade, and obviously takes some partnership with your fellow costumers.

By the way, you're late with the leather. IML was held last weekend.

Bosh
  2. Master_Logard Jedi Padawan

Hey folks,
    I have been talking to people lately about building my costume (finally) and as timing usually ends up being bad for me, my girlfriend is graduating from college and I must attend. So, I will not be at the costume meeting on Sunday. I would like to find out when we are meeting next so I can attend and finally get started on this thing.

Also, much thanks in advance for all the support and help Phyllis has provided.

Mike
  3. Bosh_Talk Jedi Master

star 4
    Kerry and I will stop by the costume club tomorrow. She wont be teading Life-Casting tomorrow, we'll figure out the dates tomorrow though. In the mean-time, here's the shopping list for life-casting.

Males havee to be clean shaven (Face).

For Session One (Making the Life Cast) [1 1/2 Hours]
    - Vasaline (one container will work for the whole class).
    - Bandana, scarf etc. to cover your hair.
    - One roll of Plaster Bandaging (can be purchased at Michaels, Hobby Lobby etc. ($3-$8)
    - Alternate to Plaster Bandaging: Dental Alginate. It's expensive, and you have to put straws up your nose.
    - Tub of Plaster of Paris, appx. 1 gallon. Can be purchased at Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Wal*Mart. ($3-$5)
    - Bucket and Stick to mix Plaster
    - Shoe Box or any box that's about the size of your face.

Session Two (Making your Character) [1 to 5 hours; depends on how much of a perfectionist you are]
    - Another Gallon of Plaster of Paris ($3-$5)
    - White non-hardening Modeling Clay ($3-$20 depending on quality). As much as you need for the mask or prosthetic you're making (ie. lots for Gammorean Guard's face, not so much for a Gandalf Nose.
    - Plastic Dish Pan
    - Vasaline
    - Bucket and Stick to mix Plaster (same as above)

Session Three (Creating the Prosthetic)
    You can do this at home and in future Cost. Club sessions as it will take quite a bit of time, and you'll probably want to do this at your own liesure.

LATEX
    Creating independent prosthetics, like a bigger nose, an alien brow-bone etc. These are only good for 1 to 3 uses.
    - Liquid Latex (any good costume supply store should have this). Large container costs about $30.00. Costumers can go in together on this to save money.
    - Cheap small art brushes. (a few cents each).
    - Paper cup to put your latex in.
    - Vasaline

PAPER MACHET
    To make a whole mask, like Max Rebo's head, or Zuckuss.
    - News Paper
    - White glue (Elmers or wood glue)
    - Bowl to mix your glue.
    - Vasaline
  4. flippingyodacola Jedi Knight

star 2
    Wow, Dave's really going all out...
    Anything you need from me for tomarrow other then tables?
    Last minute post here.. Does anyone want to come early?
  5. Bosh_Talk Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, like I said, we aren't going to do any face-casting tomorrow, just show up for moral support for the club (Support your community!) and answer any questions if there are any (well I wont, I couldn't sew or cast my way out of a wet paper bag).

Bosh
  6. flippingyodacola Jedi Knight

star 2
    Ahh Good. And you can talk to my dad about all this. He was asleep when I read your post so he doesn't know anything about the face casting...
  7. Schph_Gochi Jedi Master

star 4
    Emma....and everyone else....I can be by your place early tomorrow for a trip to the leather store...

How about 11:00 am?
    Anyone?
    Anyone?
    Bueller?
    Bueller?

So...Emma...and all you other leather makin' folks...I will be at Emma and Lionel's at around 11:00 am...that should leave us plenty of time.

anyway...
    Mike (Master Logard)...it would appear that July meeting will be at my house...I will have to set a date on that...the first weekend is the Fourth of July weekend that we should avoid. So I will look at my calendar and pick a date.....but...you would have to travel to one of the Outer Rim Territories (Mokena).....
    Is that acceptable?

Dave...sounds most excellent...

and lastly...
    did an e-mail go out to the Costume Club about today's meeting...I know we have been back and forth on a few issues...but the Date and the "official" Start time would have remained the same..
    The reason I ask is that I didn't get an "official" notice via e-mail....and I don't know if it is because I am not signed up correctly at chicagoforce.org or whether it is because no e-mail went out.

8. Mos_Eisleian_Radio FanForce CR Secretary Chicago IL US

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Considering I didn't read this until about a quarter to 11 and haven't gotten ready to go out yet, I won't be there at that time.

I haven't received a Costume Club e-mail. I just checked the website and I'm signed up for e-mail for all 4 groups.

Phil
  9. flippingyodacola Jedi Knight

star 2
    I didn't get an email, Phil head down when you can. Although, I dont quite know if anyones gonna be here. My father and Phyllis are heading out to the Leather Store now.
  10. Bosh_Talk Jedi Master

star 4
    We're going to be there at 2. I'm curious about what success you had at the leather store.

Oh, Mike, Jon said that he is interested in building the Han Solo gunbelt for you. The email I sent him in-game must have gotten kicked-back.

D'
  11. Schph_Gochi Jedi Master

star 4
    found a few neat things at the leather store....you DEFINITELY need a "guide" when you go there the first time.....

Goat....did you make it home with the Wrangler?

We discussed upcoming meetings...and what will be done...

So far we have several things....and each one will probably take two meetings...some one.

Things like:
    basic sewing, patterns, fabrics
    leatherworking
    resin prop assembly
    airbrush painting/weathering
    pattern adjusting

what would some of you like to see?

12. darthgoat Jedi Master

star 4
    I did and thanks for the advice. It drove fine today as well.

I'm due for an oil change and fluid check this week.
  13. Schph_Gochi Jedi Master

star 4
    Well...keep an eye on the fluid level...the slave cylinder will probably have to be replaced if the leak gets worse...

trying to dispel that myth that women don't know anything about cars..
    ;)
  14. darthgoat Jedi Master

star 4
    By replaced you mean replaced by buying a new car right? ;)
  15. Schph_Gochi Jedi Master

star 4
    Emma.....
    have your dad look at this auction I won...
    no more using drills on leather...

:D
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4386572681&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1
  16. flippingyodacola Jedi Knight

star 2
    I sent it to him, I hope he reads it...
  17. Schph_Gochi Jedi Master

star 4
    lol.....true...
    I really hope to get some time to do more leatherworking...it is kinda fun...but proper tools are essential...been checking into some snap setters...
  18. Bosh_Talk Jedi Master

star 4
    From my GF:

Here are a couple websites I like.

www.costumers.org (this site has everything from research sources to supply sources....it is a great place to start looking for costuming advice or items)

www.baerfabrics.com (sew-through boning called rigilene can be found here amongst all sorts of fabrics and notions)

I order from Baer all the time and they are super helpful and knowledgeable when it comes to all things costume.
  19. darthgoat Jedi Master

star 4
    Bosh loves sew through boning!
  20. DarthAstuart Jedi Master

star 4
    sew through boning, sew through boning...didn't they open for smashing pumpkins back in the day?
  21. Bosh_Talk Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm so through with boning right about now.
  22. flippingyodacola Jedi Knight

star 2
    Um.... O....k...
    Phyllis, as far as I know, he looked at the auction and didn't know what to make of it. He mumbled something about not having seen it, but other then that, he hasn't commented since I sent it to him, at least more of a general comment...
    *shrugs*
  23. Schph_Gochi Jedi Master

star 4
    lol....I got the leather punches in the mail....they are made in China (bummer) but they are supposed to be made of carbon steel....yeah right...and I got two sets...I guess I didn't realize that there would be two complete sets....

anyway...

Costumers....the next meeting will be at my house....we just have to settle on a date...I have either July 10th or July 17th open....bearing in mind that the "Farewell/Good Riddance to Bosh BBQ" is July 9th....

This next meeting will be the first installment of basic sewing.....which will include fabrics, pattern cutting, bias, nap (hmmm...participants may want to take one of those)....etc....

who's on board?
    date preference?

Please post replies...
  24. darthgoat Jedi Master

star 4
    Is the face casting this coming Sunday?

We need a new thread I think.
  25. Schph_Gochi Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes...I would suggest a new thread...
    I will be in St. Louis this weekend...so I will miss it....

Bosh....thread pleeze?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.