main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL Star Wars costumes

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Schph_Gochi, Oct 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dex_Luminara

Dex_Luminara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2004
    Thanks, I've also been to the Studio Creations site many, many times. Even when I was only looking at costuming for Halloween. As for the Vader I appreciate the back-up, and since I said time isn't really an issue since I'm not aiming at a specific date of completion right now, that means that budget is not an issue. I can buy the gear as I need it and whenever I am ready for it (one section at a time--the only way to keep myself from "settling" for less than perfection).

I also like Jurist's idea of occasionally meeting at hardware, fabric, or craft/hobby stores to gather supplies for projects that two or more people might be working on, whether they be working on one project together or individual projects of the same type. I'm gonna be new to costuming but I have imagination to spare, and even I can see the endless amounts of entertainment that a club like this could offer (and work-but not ALL work is bad)!

2. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    This IS an excellent idea to meet at a store for "group shopping" therapy....
    I especially like the idea when it comes to props....I have talked with people at costuming events...and some people are just really good at "seeing" things and possibilities when they look at objects...

3. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    I can help out in the prop department. If someone sets this up I'll see about attending as my schedule allows. With the holidays, I'm not sure how that will work out but we'll see.

4. flippingyodacola

flippingyodacola Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 27, 2003
    Um, if people want, there are like 3-4 fabric stores around my house. We can meet here, discuss what we want to make, and then head out in groups to the stores just to establish what everyone wants to make so that the "professionals" can brainstorm on it, and also to establish more of a basis for the creation of the costume. It will also allow people more time to really understand their costume fully. Trust me, Ive made my fair share of costumes without having understood them fully and just kinda filled them out in the process. And I paid the price. They mock me and are currently sitting in the back of my closet.

Anyone free on a specific day and wants to participate?
    Im free this Thursday, and pretty much every weekend.

The only downside is that the main fabric store that Ive gotten things for DIRT cheap(and I mean for like 5$ for like 3 yards of this fuzzy purple stuff that was in a remant bin. Man those bins are awesome..) around here happens to be owned by a couple of awesome Jewsih people, so they aren't open on Saturdays, and only stay open til 5.
    There is also a Vogue Fabrics on Roosevelt road, and they MIGHT(Im not completely sure) have Jedi costume patterns(its not called that, but you get the point)

Keep in mind that getting the Fabric and the Pattern are the first steps! This will start your PROJECT that you will be obligated to finish, and itll harass you everytime you look at it, so You will be obligated to finish it..

I like Jurists Idea as well, and I think that doing workshops will be in everybodys best interest. Its like a once a month or so thing where you are forced to work on it, not just watch someone make something and then discard the information or through it in the back of your brain. Although both parts are necessary for a complete costume. One needs to understand how to do it, as shown to them, and they also need time to create the costume. If theres a specific day for this itll be easier for people to actually do it, instead of it sitting on a table somewhere at their house.

5. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    I have a couple Sundays in December....
    other than that...I'm tapped for time...

6. flippingyodacola

Oct 27, 2003
    Well, it should probably wait until weve talked it out, and everyone FULLY understands EXACTLY what they are getting into....

7. JediJeff13

JediJeff13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    From what you say, Lily_Wan, it sounds like you want to make an AT-AT driver, not an AT-ST. And if that's the case, there is a member in the Midwest Garrison that made an awesome AT-AT driver. Go visit the MWG message boards, poke around and see what you can learn.

8. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    ...and ....I have to admit that my expertise in costumes like Vader or Fett....is less than Zero...

I can probably point people to members of the 501st that have done these costumes..along with the AT-AT Driver...whose costume IS over the top fantastic.....

...but have little to offer past that....

And, to be honest....If I ever went the route of a Stormtrooper....I would likely just buy it...

I know that Stormtroopers have a lot of standards to live up to in the quality of their costumes...and I can fully appreciate and understand that...so...I would probably just opt for buying a set...

9. Bosh_Talk

Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Jeff, dude...seriously...you need to turn in your costuming card.....and we'll hold your Star Wars fandom card for a probationary period of at least 3 months.

10. flippingyodacola

Oct 27, 2003
    In a reply to Phyllis' post...

I was thinking of making some Scout Trooper vacuum form armor. And Im really serious about this, because well, Scout Trooper is alot more simple then Storm Trooper.
    I guess we can discuss this further at a later date, but It would be really nice not to be poked and prodded for like 30 minutes everytime I want to go to a 501st event...

11. Lily_Wan

Lily_Wan Jedi Youngling

Nov 3, 2004
    Jeff, AT-ST Drivers (and AT-AT Commanders, such as Gen. Veers) wear gray helmets similar to the top part of Vader's. The face is open. The Snowtroopers wear this same helmet, but in white, with protective cowls over their faces. The AT-AT driver wears a helmet/mask which is a combination of a Stormtrooper (face) and X-Wing Pilot (head). I want the AT-ST (whose costume happens to be the Scanning Crew outfit with TIE Pilot gloves and the aforementioned helm. Resourceful, that Lucas.)

12. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    lol...poor Emma....I have seen the "poke and prod" procedure.....and I don't blame you for wanting something else...

Biker Scout sounds good....we need to corner Aimee at one of the events....

13. JediJeff13

JediJeff13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    My bad.

I went back and reread your post. You said "snowtrooper", not "stormtrooper". In that regard, the AT-ST would be more accurate.

And the rest of you - back the F%&$ off me!

14. flippingyodacola

Oct 27, 2003
    Phyllis, are you going to the Thanksgiving day parade? We can corner her there...

Im in the current process of making a Baby Boba Fett costume for one of my friends that looks just like Daniel Logan... *is proud*

15. JediAutobot

JediAutobot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2000
    Sorry for weighing in late. There are three I would love to do an X-Wing pilot, a biker scout and a TIE pilot. I would like to focus on the TIE pilot. I would need to make the helmet, the back and front armour and the chest box.

16. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    No...I won't be at the Thanksgiving Parade...

but.....
    http://www.richiesarmor.com/helmet_tutorial_new.htm

here is a place to get started (Hawk Bat...you listening?) for information on helmets...

also....check out his other X-Wing stuff....if nothing else...there is great detail on the pieces you will need.....

and start looking..
    ;)

Emma....
    The only date I have in December for sitting down at your house to check things out...and chat about direction of a costuming club is December 5th...the rest of the month is booked...

:_|

17. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    and...for JediGeek....

here are the "official" pen caps for Jedi food capsules....

http://www.shoplet.com/office/db/STD4155DZ.html

shipping is kind of steep....one of The Jedi Assembly members said they recently found some at a "Staples"

I still have to find the hemispheres....they are 7/16" hemispheres...but navigating Plactruct's website is a nightmare....I have to find the UPC code..

18. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    ...and Emma...
    I am reconsidering the Thanksgiving Parade...
    ;)

nope....not gonna make it....and am VERY sad about that..

19. flippingyodacola

Oct 27, 2003
    Well You missed freezing your butt off. Other then that, nothing important.

20. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    Sigh...December 5th is now out too...it is my brother's 50th Birthday..and the family is going out..

:(

21. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    Hawk-Bat...

Did you get my e-mail?

22. Hawk-Bat

Hawk-Bat Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2003
    Yes I recived it.

23. JediGeek

JediGeek Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 7, 2003
    Thanks for the info on the pens, Phyllis!! I will definitely pick some up and we'll talk further about it at the Holiday party.

24. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    Sounds like a plan....now if I can extract my head from my butt long enough...I will remember to bring the sku of the hemispheres from Plastruct...

25. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    So ok....What are people working on? I'm just curious to see what resources people need, etc etc.

I'm upgrading my Fett right now. Mostly, I'm repainting my armor to screen accurate colors. I've also got a new helmet that I've been painting over the last several months. My goal is to have it all completed by C3 aka The Funeral for Star Wars(tm).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.