Chic, IL Star Wars costumes

Discussion in 'Mid West Regional Discussion' started by Schph_Gochi, Oct 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PenguinJedi Jedi Padawan

Thanks everyone. I'll remember to bring the picture that proves my story of how I earned the Pen Guin name. it's complicated, and i still don't think I flogged the traitor enough. We were mostly a very unstructured group, though through the years i became a 'high ranking' 'officer' ... evenatually earning the title of Immoral Officer. I made sure no one behaved. i even very nearly got kidnapped by a Klingon [we crossed universes a lot.]

The Dark Jedi began when Alex [the Grand Poohbah of the BF] and I found a grey English cloak at a garage sale in San Francisco... I borrowed it nad my mother made a pattern and did a darker grey replica. No hood, but I've made a lightweight black cloak with a hood, so I just need to hem that thing [my machine broke... well okay, I broke it, but it's fixed now] and i can wear it under the grey. Now, I don't have all my costumes here, as the majority of my stuff is still at my parent's house in CA. The basic parts of the outfit are a bit more militaristic than normal Jedi stuff. Once you see pictures, you may understand why.

Oh yeah... I also designed my own light saber... doesn't look a thing like the movie ones, but then I got Kevin Anderson's approval in person. I'm going to re-do it however, because the boys were in bad form and broke it. Boy do i have stories...

Merry Christmas,
    Pen Guin

"Leave my flippers alone!"
  2. flippingyodacola Jedi Knight

star 2
    That you definately have to bring pictures of. My father, who as most of the people on the baords know, has an Obi Wan costume which he wears fairly well. They only thing is, he doesn't exactly have a lightsaber, and has been throwing TONS of ideas around about how to make one. Im sure he'd enjoy hearing how you made your lightsaber.
    At the 15th event, another thing we might consider discussing could be making costumes(like my father's Jedi) a little more accurate. Maybe I already brought this up, or someone else did, but I completely forgot like an idiot....

By the way, I am Emma, and the costuming event is going to be at my house.
    Like all the Chicago Force people didn't already know that....
  3. PenguinJedi Jedi Padawan

ya know... I'm not sure I have pictures of the saber... and I don't THINK I have it here. I have a few small boxes of my costume stuff, but I don't think the saber is in there. I'll check, and if it isn't here, then i can email my dad and have him hunt it down. As I said, it looks nothing remotely like what's in the movies. We were 'ambiance' at a booksigning with Mr. Anderson. After things had died down, everyone was chatting and I walked over to him. He was still sitting at the signing table. he asked to see my saber and I told him that the guys in the group gave me a lot of grief about it... that it didn't look like the movie sabers... this is what he told me: "A Jedi makes his or her saber from materials at hand when they're ready to make it." Basically, he told me that there is no lightsaber factory on Tatooine... each Jedi used whats' at hand... so a saber can look like anything... [ so there KJ :p ] so I designed one that was clear plastic [ended up frosting it] and used fiber optic cable to make it light up... sorry... didn't extend. My father helped me make the design and concept into reality. He's a civil engineer... I'm just the creative wierdo of the family.

I scanned some of my pics and put them on a page... I put the link in my profile, but in case no one goes there: www.wolfeangel.us/costumes.htm. I started with Trek uniforms, then expanded very quickly because i didn't like the cocky attitudes of the Pajama People. So I defected to the Pirates and life has never been the same. I've played with Klingons and been a slave at their dinners... [I got a tip the last time, when I was the bartender slave... my Klingons love me].

Kill Bill V2 DVD is calling my name...

Pen Guin
  4. Schph_Gochi Jedi Master

star 4
    lol...I will have to bring my home-made saber too....it weighs about a 1,000 pounds and I never use it anymore....I purchased a light weight, non-working Park's saber about 5 years ago...I mainly use that one...but as all Jedi know....you must construct your own lightsaber to "complete your training"....so I did...

5. PenguinJedi Jedi Padawan

I talked to my father about it last night and we decided it would be better if I built a new one... the old one was clunky and just wasn't sturdy enough to handle regular abuse. It may not handle the trip out here from CA. he will look for my grey cloak however and try to send that off.

I'm going to try refining the original design of my first saber. i have lots of ideas running through my head that may or may not work. but we'll see... muaahaahaahaahaa!!!

i think one thing I could've been called in my old group was The Inventor. I always tried new stuff, instead of just imitating the official stuff. I have some costumes that defy classification... which always made cons more fun.

Pen Guin
  6. Schph_Gochi Jedi Master

star 4
    I was working on some tutorials for The Jedi Assembly to use at CIII this weekend.....I finished the tutorial for the basic Jedi Tunic and one for Tabards and sash....

I still have to do the tutorial on the robe....I will xerox some copies of the tutorials for the meeting too....

and....
    Hazmatt....would it be appropriate to post the tutorials at chicagoforce.org?

7. PenguinJedi Jedi Padawan

I'll 'fess up by saying my dad [who is an Engineer] helped me with the wiring and stuff on my first saber... but since he's 2000 miles away, i can't just pull up a chair and work on it with him. So, anyone here know how to do wiring and stuff?

I have refined my saber design and will be doing some neat stuff to it... Anyone know this stuff, and is willing to give me tips? The poor guys at Radio Shack have done all they can... and most of them were clueless twits to begin with... only one helped, and even he wasn't entirely sure.

Pen Guin
  8. Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling

star 4
    To what extent do you need help? Do you need someone to do the actual soldering & assembly, or are you just looking for over-the-shoulder assistance with the design and wiring specs? I did a fair amount of wiring when I worked in lighting, tho I'd probably be a bigger help if I could get a look at your old saber (that was _not_ a double entendre.) Do you have any blueprints or layouts of the original?

-Le Penguin
    "That's your problem. You think you have the answers to everything, but instead you end up throwing gas on the fire, and everyone else has to pay the consequences."

9. PenguinJedi Jedi Padawan

the old saber had a simple wiring system. AAA battery case to a switch then to a small light base. This time i want to use some LEDs as well as the bulb. They'll have different switches, but I'm not sure if I can use the same battery [this time I'm using a 9V]. I want the 4 LEDs to flash in a semi-random pattern...
    I have the following:
    -LEDs
    -a roll of 30-guage insulated wrapping wire the Radio Shack guy told me to use
    -battery and 9V clip
    -switches
    -lamp base for the other light source.
    Am I going to need anything else?

I think I can handle the soldering myself. I went ahead and bought Low-heat tape solder and a paste that also doesn't need a soldering gun. I've bought enough the past few days... and I still need the external stuff.

My father has been trying to advise me via email, but he's never wired LEDs, so I'm going into territory he can't help with.

Anyone know of a plastics supply store here? In CA, there's TAP Plastics, which is a place I visited ever since I was a kid... but I have yet to find the equivalent here. The ideal place would have all kinds of stuff available, sheet plastic, tubes, display boxes and all kinds of other plastic 'stuff.' That's what TAP is like.

Pen Guin
  10. Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Do you want the LEDs lit 24/7, or just when the main beam is running? For that matter, what kind of lamp are you using for the beam? An MR16 or MR11 with a tight focus would probably be nice if you can get your hands on a fixture, but if they're left on for longer than 10 minutes or so, they tend to get hotter than Rex watching the Latin Grammys. I'll just trust you've got the main beam thing worked out and move on.

I dunno about platics-oriented stores, but American Science & Surplus is a promising place to start for "all kinds of other plastic 'stuff'", and all kinds of 'stuff' in general.

LEDs on the handle would be kind enough not to give off any heat or use much power, but if you want them to blink in any fashion, you'll need a sequencer. They're usually no problem to hook up, but it would undoubtedly use up some internal real estate and probably a minor bit of power (comparable to an LED or two.) Speaking of American Science & Surplus, this might be something worth looking into.

Anyway, I don't go to the costuming meetings (in fact, I contribute very little to the CF compared to the amount of lead I swing around these boards) but I will be at the skating party on the 15th if you want to bring any pieces and/or specs for me to go over. Failing that, I'd be happy to look at any pics you may want to post of components, specs, prototypes, or Monica Bellucci.

Good luck.

-Le Penguin
    "Improving Our World By Replacing You"
  11. PenguinJedi Jedi Padawan

The main light will be operated by a momentary push button... same as my old saber. I do want the LEDs to just blink... depending on how big a sequencer is, there will probably be plenty of space for it. I've been 'drawing' in the basic Paint program on this infernal PC [didn't want to argue with The GIMP for something this basic] but only for the externals.

The image I'll upload and link to here is what I have so far... there may be more doo-dads added... I just can't draw them...

http://www.wolfeangel.us/saber.htm

Was actually as American Science & Surplus yesterday... but I was still forming the details in my head. I did find the clear tubes there, but I don't really want to buy a three-foot section... unless I have to. If there's no where else, I'll just get one there... cutting it down will be easy.

I hadn't planned on the skating party... me on skates might not be pretty... ice skates, I presume? yikes... I haven't put a pair of those on since... oh... since about 3rd grade?

Pen Guin [you'd think a penguin would be good on the ice... HAH!]
  12. Schph_Gochi Jedi Master

star 4
    We used to have an American Science and Surplus store in Orland Park.....it has been closed for years...I would love to go to one again.....

where is the one that you go to?

oooopssss

never mind...found the link to the retail stores...may be worth heading up there when they open before the Costuming Group meeting on January 15th

13. PenguinJedi Jedi Padawan

It's WAAAYYY out in the boonies for me. See, I'm car-less by choice. I live downtown [Printers Row... nice and apartments are reasonable esp. considering that if you walk three blocks north of me, the rates practically double] and take the El or walk. I am a member of iGo, so I have access to a car... which I think I'll be renting when i go up to American Science this time... Monday, I walked from the EL station all the way up [I'm beginning to hate maps... they lie, I tell ya] and i was pretty frozen when I got there. I'll be using a car next time... that way I can hit Home Despot on the way back.

Pen Guin

BTW, I keep forgetting to mention [and browsing around the Science website reminded me] that i have another SW costume... but it's not complete, due to the mindset of the person helping me finish... he actually thought we had a romantic relationship... we didn't, and never will, IMHO] Anyone know how to make molds for masks? I know many Klingon dudes know... but I don't know any here, and the ones out in CA, all know the dude who was making my other one... I was developing a 'Teen Wookiee'
  14. darthgoat Jedi Master

star 4
    There is a American Science and Surplus in Jefferson Park. Its literally minutes from my place.
  15. Hazmatt Jedi Master

star 4
    Of course, my house is literally minutes away from your place, too. 120 of them.
  16. darthgoat Jedi Master

star 4
  17. PenguinJedi Jedi Padawan

the one in Jefferson Park is the one I went to... okay, so it's not ACTUALLY way out in the boonies, but it always seems that way... especially when I decided to walk from the JP EL station. When it's cold out, the trek just seems farther, I guess. next time, I'm driving.

When I do go out there next, I'll be buying... Maybe getting more plastic than I need will be good for when I have to remake it.

I can't remember if they said they'd be open Saturday [too many people will be hung over], but I can head up there anytime... I could certainly do a weekend day if people wanted to meet up there... I just need to know in advance so I can reserve the iGo car in time.

Pen Guin
  18. JediAutobot Force Ghost

star 4
    See, when you said boonies, I initially thought you meant the one is Geneva, which in on Roosevelt, just east of Kirk rd, which Black Sunner's will recognize as where the Kane County show is, which is really pretty much the boonies :) But actually probably closer to me than the milwaukee one.
  19. RexGetz Jedi Knight

star 2
    When you said "Boonies", I thought you meant "Jeff's Place". =P~

If you guys wanna take a trip to my storage space, I have a **** Load of prop parts that I bought from "American Science and Surplus" , I was putting something together for a movie that was never made. They're just collecting dust. :_|

20. Schph_Gochi Jedi Master

star 4
    bring the stuff along sometime Rex....who knows...maybe someone else will be interested in your "parts"....lol.....
    coming to the costuming meeting? Bring the stuff along...

and ....I am just south of boonies...
    ;)
  21. Migel_bounty_hunter Jedi Padawan

hey im new to making costume and won't be able to use a vacuum former any ideas on how i should make a bobafett gauntlet (right arm)
  22. flippingyodacola Jedi Knight

star 2
    Cardboard. How cheap do you want it to look?
    Order it on ebay, talk to people, find someone who has one.
    Make it out of half of a plastic bottle. Come on now, you gotta be creative.
  23. DarthJurist Admin Emeritus

star 5
    Migel_bounty_hunter, welcome to the boards!

If you are from Chicago (I have a sneaky feeling you aren't), please feel free to stop by our meeting on the 15th!

~H~
  24. Mos_Eisleian_Radio Force Ghost

star 4
    I went fabric shopping today and found material for the undershirt, tabbard, and tunic for my Quinlan Vos outfit. I'm basing it on his pre-Clone Wars look, using Darkness and Rite of Passage as reference. Here's the cover of Rite of Passage Part 4 for reference.

There was about 1.75 yards of a gray remnant, 6 yards of dark brown wool gabardine (if the label is correct), and 5 yards of a khaki material (cotton/poly blend, I think). I also bought 3 spools of mathching thread. I couldn't find Simplicity #8311. I didn't see it listed in the Simplicity book at the store. I'm also not seeing it listed at the Simplicity website. Do you of any other way I could get that or is there another pattern I could use?

Phil
  25. darthgoat Jedi Master

star 4
    "hey im new to making costume and won't be able to use a vacuum former any ideas on how i should make a bobafett gauntlet (right arm) "

All the Fett info you'll ever need is here:

http://tdh.prop-planet.com/index.php
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.