main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL Star Wars costumes

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Schph_Gochi, Oct 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    Phil...
    You found wool?
    Where?

The fabric choices sound great!

I found this information on line:

Simplicity Pattern Company
    Simplicity Pattern Co. has a wealth of information on their website. Simplicity recycles their patterns after one year in their own paper mill to make new patterns.
    For information on obtaining discontinued patterns:
    Contact Consumer Relations using their website form . You will also find links to their education department on their contact page.
    Telephone: From the United States and Canada you may call them toll free at U.S.& Canada 1-888-588-2700. Snail Mail:
    Simplicity Patterns
    Consumer Relations
    901 Wayne St
    Niles, MI 49121

2. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    The fabric said it was wool, but Lilli and I didn't really believe it. On the receipt, it says wool gabardine, so maybe that explains why it didn't seem like wool. Anyway, it was at Hancock Fabrics at 7229 24th St. in North Riverside.

Thanks for the info on discontinued patterns! Is there anything else I'll need? Does that pattern cover the tabbards, sash, and under-tunic, or is there something else I should get?

Phil

3. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    Excellent finds Phil!

~H~

4. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    No....you don't need a pattern for tabards and sash....they are easlily done.....but they do take quite a bit of fabric....

5. Nostradamus

Nostradamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 2, 2000
    Phil--what pattern is that?

I wrote out a few Jedi robe making tips in 2003 when we did the workshop out at Phyllis's. Here's the link to my tips: Tips on making a Jedi Robe

6. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    Those tips were the outer robes which I have at this point. I saw Simplicity #8311 mentioned at The Padawan's Guide. They have a photograph of it here. Phyllis also recommended it to Hawk Bat back in this thread.

Phil

7. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    fear not Phil.....I still have my pattern #8311...and we can use it to cut your tunic.

The pattern for the undertunic is an old McCall's pattern that I lent to a Jedi Assembly member in New York....she is supposed to be mailing that back to me...so hopefully I will have that one back soon.

8. flippingyodacola

flippingyodacola Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 27, 2003
    I have Simplicity 5840, which I used for my jedi.

9. Hawk-Bat

Hawk-Bat Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2003
    Bah my computer with all my rebel pilot info is unaviable for a while DOH!

10. Nostradamus

Nostradamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 2, 2000
    Ah! I see! Thanks Phil. That looks like it will work well for a tunic.

I picked up (two copies of) Simplicity 5343 in one of those $1 pattern sales. I haven't used it yet, but I thought the view D kimono and view F obi-belt could work well for Jedi costumes.

11. Lily_Wan

Lily_Wan Jedi Youngling

Nov 3, 2004
    PHIL,

From echo station.com
    Hooded Cloaks: These are good for Jedi, Sith, and any type of alien (just pair them with a mask plus maybe hands). A thin wool gabardine is best ... it drapes well and is machine washable
    "Gabardine" is the name of a twill weave, quite sturdy, with a distinctive diagonal rib. Wool gabardine is one of the best-wearing and most handsome of suit fabrics; it comes in a multitude of weights and takes well to nearly any style of tailoring.
    The origins of gabardine lie in medieval Spain and Italy. Religious pilgrims in medieval Spain commonly wore a long, loose coat or frock called a gabardina. Originally gabardine was made only of wool and rough wool at that since the Italian word "gavardina" meant "coarse frock; any mean dress."

Eventually, gabardine came to mean the fabric that these coats were made of . Today gabardine can be made from cotton, rayon, silk, and polyester as well as wool, but wool is by far the most common. Stretch gabardine, which contains a small percentage of lycra, is becoming increasingly popular because of its added comfort.

Wool Gabardine is a tightly woven fabric made in a twill weave with distinct diagonal ribs. It has a clear finish (smooth face) and a natural luster although it's sometime given a dull finish for fashion reasons. Gabardine wears like iron, is very wrinkle resistance, and has a lovely drape.

This seasonless fabric holds a great crease so use it for tailored garments such as tailored pants, jackets, and straight skirts as well as loose skirts, jumpers, pants, and shirts. Gabardine is difficult to ease, so avoid gathered styles and unless you're an experienced seamstress or seamster (yes, there is such a word) be wary of high sleeve caps.

Garments made from gabardine are most often dry cleaned although simple styles that don't require professional pressing can be washed by hand. This can come in handy while traveling.

Preshrink gabardine by steam pressing or hand washing.

Gabardine is usually easy to cut and sew. Use the "with nap" lay out and any good quality thread. If you're using fusible interfacing, test a swatch to make sure you like the results. Pinholes tend to show on lighter fabrics, so use small pins and try to keep them within the seam allowance.

It's very important to press gabardine as you sew. Gabardine has a reputation for being hard to press, but if you follow the "Golden Rules of Pressing," you'll get great results

12. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    ok....making my list of things to remember for Saturday:

Patterns
    Fabric examples
    Tutorials
    Sewing machine (just in case)
    A couple of costume examples
    "Essential Guides to Characters"-old and New
    "Visual Dictionaries"
    Home made saber-as long as everyone promises not to laugh....

Emma....what am I forgetting? PM me with your address again...I think I have it somewhere....but ...just in case...

Lionel....is there anything you would like me to bring?

13. Hawk-Bat

Hawk-Bat Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2003
    I will bring my books too.

14. DarthJurist

Dec 10, 2000
    Schph, I really don't think you'll need your sewing machine for this, but as a person with a car, more power to you. ;)

~H~

15. JediGeek

JediGeek Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 7, 2003
    I have a favor to ask. I know PenguinJedi and Schph were talking about possibly bringing their self-made lightsabers on Saturday. I'm looking to make one of my own as well. I've searched several sites & gathered alot of information on the subject but I would really love to see some that others have made, in person. Pictures can never compare with the real thing. If any of you have sabers that you have built, would you mind bringing them along so I can see them? I'm just not grasping how these things are put together.

Also, if anyone is still looking for Jedi robe material, the Hancock Fabrics in Schaumburg (Roselle & Golf Roads) has a Chocolate colored 35%Wool/65%Poly blend fabric. If you're interested, I found it today for $5.99/yrd. However, it's also on sale!! 40% off!! So it comes to approximately $3.59/yrd.

16. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    oh yes.....thanks for reminding me.....
    adding home-made saber to the list....

And yes....the sewing machine....lol...I am bringing it 'cause I can........I am reasonably certain we will not be doing any actual sewing...but I guess it is my anal nature...

cause sure as you know what stinks....I usually need the one thing that I was too lazy to bring....

17. PenguinJedi

PenguinJedi Jedi Youngling

Dec 24, 2004
    I also need the address of where the meeting is... so cna someone PM or email me?

I've been preoccupied with my frustrating job search, so I've been unable to work on the new saber... will bring stuff though... also splurged [slaps hand, bad me, BAD me!!] at Vogue Fabrics on some material... Muaahaahaahaa!!! I found some brown and a tan, as well as some black and a gray... if I ever get a good dress form, I'll be making my outfits... I can't sew anything fitted for myself. My mother [Master Seamstress, all hail!] used to do the sewing. Now it's up to me. Between her being 2000 miles away as well as refusing to sew anything else for me [I think I broke her], I'm on my own.

I'll bring the fabrics, saber supplies and design [still rough] and pictures of my past exploits. I'll see if any of my Jedi costume stuff is in my boxes here... Due to a lack of closet space, I had to stash my 'stumes in boxes...

Pen G.

18. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    The meeting is at the house of our member "flippinyodacola"..(she has a post above)
    ...just send her a pm....and she will give you the address....

19. TK9965

TK9965 Jedi Youngling

Aug 11, 2004
    Phil,

I thought you'd like to see this. My friend, Doug Wangler, wore a Quinlan Vos costume to Wizard World 2004. It's the dark side Quin costume and it will be complete for C3. Here are a few pictures from WW:
    http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/stormtrooper9965/ Just go to the Quinlan Vos Costume folder. This site http://www.janduursema.com/photos/ has some pictures as well.

Jan Duursema, co-creator of Quin, was nice enough to help with the costume. She even painted the yellow tattoos on Doug! Doug has been used by Jan for reference for Quin. If you look at some of the newer Quin drawings, you'll see that many look like Doug.

For C3 the chest armor will be ready and the tabbards and arm wraps will be more accurate.

I'll be posting more pictures as I get them.

Chip
    TK9965
    Central / Southern Illinois Liaison Officer
    Midwest Garrison
    Bloodfin Garrison (HM)
    http://www.skaught.com/501st/proofs/9965tk.jpg

20. PenguinJedi

Dec 24, 2004
    << ...just send her a pm....and she will give you the address.... >>

It won't let me. I've only made 15 posts... and it tells me I have to make at least 20 before I can PM anyone... argh!

Pen G

21. DarthJurist

Dec 10, 2000
    That's interesting, must be a new feature...

~H~

22. PenguinJedi

Dec 24, 2004
    yeah I thought it was odd... but anyway... even though I'm only a few posts away from being to send that message, it's kind of silly to just write a bunch of posts... but I've been known to do sillier things...

this will make post #17.

I think I'll just send an email... make life just a BIT easier.

Pen Guin
    *grumble grumble*
    *heads back to cave*

23. DarthJurist

Dec 10, 2000
    Emma, should we bring snacks and/or drinks?

~H~

24. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    Jurist.....

I will be brining my Barriss Offee cape to the meeting......any chance I could get you to just pin the hem while I have it on?

It is really difficult to do that kind of thing when you live by yourself...and the last time when I brought my Jedi robe to work to have one of the ladies pin it....I ended up re-doing it anyway...what a pain!

25. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    I can't be there but I am sending a list of bad dealers to Bosh. These are people I know for a fact have ripped people off and been banned from major forums like RPF and TDH. Hopefully we can keep CF members away from them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.