main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL Star Wars costumes

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Schph_Gochi, Oct 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    rats....we will miss you Goat....and heads up on bad dealers is always appreciated...

phooey....I was really hoping that you could make it....maybe next month??....

as a matter of fact...that is something that we will have to be sure to discuss....the next meeting date ...and place.....

any dates in February that are already a no-go for you Goat?

I know the only Saturday I have in February is the 12th...

2. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    Just about every weekend in Feb is a no-go. I think the last one is free though. I could possibly make it for a bit tomorrow but I'm going to send this info along to Bosh anyway.

3. Bosh_Talk

Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Thanks for the list Goat. Death to all traitorous bastages.

Bosh

4. flippingyodacola

flippingyodacola Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 27, 2003
    Anyone can bring whatever they want, I dont mind. And we dont mind having extra.
    Sorry I haven't been on the boards that much, I got really loaded down with homework...

5. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    I will be brining my Barriss Offee cape to the meeting......any chance I could get you to just pin the hem while I have it on?

Not a problem, be sure to bring the shoes you will wear with the outfit.

Also, for anyone that wants to join us, Dinel and I will be wondering through the Vogue Fabric store near Emma's place BEFORE the meeting. The address is 623-27 W. Roosevelt Rd, it's right next to the freeway. There's parking on the street, and free parking behind the building. I'll be there starting around noon.

~H~

6. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    I thought I might try to get to that Film maker thingy that Bosh posted before the Costuming Club...if I get done with that in a hurry...I will try to meet you guys at Vogue...I have heard a lot about that place and have never been there....

double road trip...

lol...better leave now....

muchas gracias Heather...I will put the boots that I intend to wear with Barriss on my ever expanding pile of stuff I am bringing....yep...gonna leave the sewing machine at home...but do have my "boat anchor"...er make that my home made lightsaber on the pile...
    ;)

7. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    As far as February 12 for the second meeting, I notice that that date will be during Capricon weekend.

Phil

8. PenguinJedi

PenguinJedi Jedi Youngling

Dec 24, 2004
    I'd love to meet you at Vogue, if it's possible to get a ride to the meeting afterward... but I'm not sure how i could 'identify' myself, since no one here has met me.

i would be walking over to Vogue... I live within reasonable walking distance [Printer's Row].

I'd probably be pulling a rolling backpack that's various shades of purple [bringing all that stuff]... hhmmmm... gotta think...

Pen

9. PenguinJedi

Dec 24, 2004
    Okay... if I don't see anyone over there, I can walk over to Halsted and catch the #8 bus.

I already mentioned the wheeled backpack.. I'll be wearing a Team Banzai t-shirt... yes, I'm a Banzai fan...

Pen Guin

10. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    WOW....
    The first meeting of the Costumer's Club was amazing!

Wow to Lionel and Emma ...your studio is amazing...what a creative place to be creative...I love old and interesting buildings...and your Studio is just plain great! Thank you so much for hosting the Costuming group....if one doesn't get inspired there...you ain't never gonna be inspired..

Wow to all of the people that came...some from as far North as over the Wisconsin border....I hope that everyone came away from the first meeting with a resource, an idea, or inspiration.

Wow to Darth Jurist and Bespin Belle....thank you two soooooooo much for pinning the hem on the Barriss cloak...you guys saved me hours...and I think I came up with a good way to keep the exact line you pinned while I make the cuts to the lining....etc....masking tape....

For some of the folks looking for Jedi information...besides the cd's that I had for a few of you....in my signature below is the link to The Jedi Assembly....click on it...it will take you to the TJA main site ...then click on the link to the message board forums....there is a ton of useful Jedi information in the costuming threads. There are separate forums for robes, tunics, lightsber hilts, and all forms of Jedi props like boots, belts, food capsules, and pouches.

11. JediGeek

JediGeek Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 7, 2003
    Yes, thank you again to Lionel and Emma!! The first meeting of the costuming club was a terrific success! I think it was very productive, and I believe that even the people that came to the meeting not intending to make a costume at all will probably end up making something. It was very inspiring.

Schph...Thanks again for the tutorial CD and the pattern!!

12. DarthJurist

Dec 10, 2000
    I?m was very happy with the large turnout for our first meeting, I think we had about 20 people there, including some squeaky new newbies. ;)

Hopefully the email list will be up and running soon, and we can finalize some dates for future events.

~H~

13. PenguinJedi

Dec 24, 2004
    As I didn't have anything to write with [I'll remember next time, I swear!] I don't have the dates for the workshops anywhere. I'll need someone to email them to me, or post them here...

Since I'm currently unemployed, I have time [way too much of it, I tell ya!] to sew stuff... I just cut out a grey tunic... the precursor to the beige... wanted to get the basics down... I then pulled out my sewing machine, expecting to sew that thing up and use it as my model for other tunics... alas, the foot on the machine [those of you who sew will know what I'm referring to] has gone missing. It was missing before I took it to repair, and the guy told me he'd put a new one on... well, he didn't. So, now I get to brave the cold [tomorrow, while I'm already out] and pick up a new one. I have a feeling that if I walk into Hancock Fabrics for a machine foot, I'll walk out wiht a LOT more than that... I'm way too 'at home' in fabric stores...

Pen Guin

14. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    It was really nice to meet some new folk and of course see everyone again.

My time is very limited these days but I'm definately looking forward to the saber project.

15. DarthJurist

Dec 10, 2000
    I'll be at the Vogue Fabric Store in Evanston tomorrow after work. I'll probably get there around 6:15 or so, and stay for ... a while. I'll probably be out of there by 8 pm, if not a bit sooner.

The store is located near Chicago and Main in Evanston, 1/2 a block from the Main street purple line stop.

~H~

16. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    Sigh....have fun at Vogue...
    I will be up to my eyeballs in Mokena Garden Club members.....we are meeting at my house tonight....

:_|

17. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    I noted that the next meeting of the CF Costuming Club is Feb. 5th....

Sadly...I will not be able to attend....

I did post some websites that have Saber Tutorials....
    and if there is something that anyone thinks that I can help them with/provide....please let me know so that I can maybe get it "shipped out" in advance of the meeting....

18. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    Cheryl....this is the information I was telling you about with regard to outdated patterns....

Simplicity Pattern Company
    Simplicity Pattern Co. has a wealth of information on their website. Simplicity recycles their patterns after one year in their own paper mill to make new patterns.
    For information on obtaining discontinued patterns:
    Contact Consumer Relations using their website form . You will also find links to their education department on their contact page.
    Telephone: From the United States and Canada you may call them toll free at U.S.& Canada 1-888-588-2700. Snail Mail:
    Simplicity Patterns
    Consumer Relations
    901 Wayne St
    Niles, MI 49121

19. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    and an update....
    I called the Simplicity telephone #

They called back and left me a message that they had two copies of #8311 left...

I ordered both.....well...I left my name and credit card info to purchase both copies .....
    hopefully....I will get them....

in case there are CF members who are interested in that pattern....

So Phil & Cheryl.....you two have first dibbs on the patterns if I get them...

Simplicity called me back....

they are mine, mine, mine, mine

:D

20. Dex_Luminara

Dex_Luminara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2004
  21. Dex_Luminara

Dex_Luminara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2004
    Also, I don't know if this is known to the group or not, but Iain McCaig told someone at a lecture once that the material that the Jedi Costumes were made out of is called Indian Homespun. It is a light woven fabric similar to what Ghandi wore. I have since gone on to find out that though you can find it at some Indian stores (or so I'm told) that it is either never at, or just not available at JoAnn and Hancock, but it HAS been found more than once at Wal-Mart of all places. It is said that it is a very cotton-like fabric that is very easy to dye. Mr McCaig also said that all the Sith costumes were also made of this same fabric and just dyed black. Hope this helps anyone who may be looking for th right material.

22. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    I bet if you went over to Devon st and went to those Sari shops you could find some of that stuff.

23. JediGeek

JediGeek Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 7, 2003
    YES PLEASE, Schph!!! I will gladly take one off your hands. Thanks so much!!! Just PM me with how much it is and I'll send you the $$. Now I just have to find MATERIAL!
    Thanks again. :D

24. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    Done JediGeek
    one of the patterns is on the side for you....
    they only cost $6.00.....cheep....cheep....cheep...

and Dex....thanks for the "heads up" on the e-bay auction...so that Chicago Force can corner the market on Simplicity pattern 8311....I bought that one too....

MWUH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH...

[face_devil]

25. DarthJurist

Dec 10, 2000
    Just a brief reminder to everyone that we have a meeting on Feb 5, and then the sewing workshop on Feb 19th.

Also, there's now a Costuming 'Club' over at CF.org. You can sign up for the costuming specific email list there.

I'll work with a few other people to get some hand outs worked up about the robes and such.

Even if you don't want to make a robe, if any one wants to bring their sewing machine and help out those that don't know a knitting needle from a sewing needle, please feel free to join in. :)

~H~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.