main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars Crucible novel. the best novel with Luke, Han, etc

Discussion in 'Literature' started by patrickurrutia, Aug 25, 2015.

1. patrickurrutia

patrickurrutia Jedi Master star 1

Feb 14, 2007
    Crucible novel is probably the last regular canon expaned universe novel universe to see one adventure with Old Han, Luke and Leia.

Theres Scourge but that takes place years after Luke and Han etc.

Anywayz Anyone else enjoy Crucible?

2. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Almost no one likes Crucible, since it was a continuation of the disastrous post-NJO starting with the DNT.

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I thought the bit about how both the light and dark side are "necessary" fitted with Anakin Solo's explanation of the Force in NJO: Edge of Victory.

Jedi Knight Fett and Havoc123 like this.
  4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Fixed.

5. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    Scourge takes place well before Crucible, during the lifetimes of Luke, Leia, and Han. It simply doesn't have them as the main characters.

Crucible was ok. I see how some of it is over the top and I think that's one of the major reasons people here don't like Troy Denning as an author. I don't mind him, but I can see how some of his plot points and events are over the line of ridiculous or gruesome.

I think I liked the ending of Crucible, though. It set up what I thought NJO was supposed to set up, in that new characters could have been the lead for the galaxy from that point forward. But the actual events of the book were less interesting than what could have come after.

Iron_lord likes this.
  6. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I feel like this thread has a lot of potential

Vthuil, Zorrixor and CooperTFN like this.
  7. SheaHublin

SheaHublin Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 15, 2008
    Since when does anyone dislike Troy Denning as an author??? His work for WEG was excellent- I still enjoy Scoundrel's Luck from time to time. It's a real shame he never wrote any other Star Wars stories.

ATimson, TheRedBlade and Trip like this.
  8. Trisdin Gheer

Trisdin Gheer Jedi Master star 2

Jun 18, 2013
    The three pages I did read seemed utterly creatively bankrupt.

9. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    That's why Crucible is so awful, it was the culmination of 22 wasted books that left the galaxy in a worse state than it was at the end of TUF.

I thought that was that was referring to, but I wasn't certain. Scourge takes place around the same time as the HoT Duology.

10. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    [​IMG]

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  11. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    I'm gonna try to find a used copy of this book cheap, so I can see how bad it is.

12. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Outside of this forum, NJO frequently gets the same level of derision that the Denningverse gets here.

Perspectives can vary considerably.

13. StarLorrd

StarLorrd Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 18, 2014
    I like Crucible. I know a lot of it is stupid but Troy Denning always writes "good" stories and has cool action scenes, even if some of his overarching themes and the directions he took the universe are crap.

Better than authors who follow a nice script but whose writing is juvenile and boring

14. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Which authors are you referring to

15. AlyxDinas

AlyxDinas Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 12, 2010
    "She was one with the Force, her golden body an eddy whirling on its wild currents..a maelstrom of cold resolve and focused rage of a single purpose: to kill."

This is a line from Crucible. It is about Leia. Crucible is terrible.

16. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Vergere was a Sith

It seems like the Denningverse descended into self parody.

17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    It really is quite Pecksniffian! Every time I think I've heard the worst about Crucible, new depths reveal themselves!

TheRedBlade likes this.
  18. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Actually I've been brainwashed into accepting the post-NJO and I want to read about the proper way to focus your rage as a Jedi.

Abadacus likes this.
  19. AlyxDinas

AlyxDinas Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 12, 2010
    Just gotta be in perfect harmony with the Force. It'll turn you into a rage filled, kill happy individual within the course of a few novels or just one! (Results do vary.)

20. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    The Denningverse sounds like crap.

Abadacus and TheRedBlade like this.
  21. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    This forum has broken me into accepting it

22. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I've known lots of people who like Crucible. I think they're probably nuts, but I definitely know them.

Iron_lord and Abadacus like this.
  23. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Oh, that's just an act to get to the Forum Brain, isn't it.

Revanfan1 and Iron_lord like this.
  24. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Crucible might not be quite as bad as Apocalypse was, but that's not saying much. As the last old-EU Big Three novel, its a horrible failure (VotF and TUF already did far better jobs of ending an era than any novel post-NJO). Although not entirely sure if it was originally meant as a last hurrah or not before Disney bought Star Wars, which forced a lot of plotlines to rush to a conclusion or never finish at all.

At best I'd say Crucible is forgettable- nothing of much importance happens, plenty of stupid moments and a few really weird ones. Sure, supposedly the Big Three retire here, but we had heard that song and dance before, and its been easily forgotten by the time the next book rolls around. Well, if there had been another book, but you get the idea.

25. Dante1120

Dante1120 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 5, 2006
    Crucible has a good chunk devoted to outright torture and gore, elevated above Denning's usual (and rather odd) predilection for it. I actually felt uncomfortable reading it.

Force Smuggler likes this.