main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DFW, TX Star Wars cut for IMAX

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by jedikevn, Sep 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedikevn

jedikevn Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2002
    If you guys have been to Rebelscum.com you should already know that they are going to have to cut 23 minutes worth of film in order for it to work on the IMAX screen. How do you guys feel about that? What do you think should get cut? Personally, I'm kind of bummed that they have to cut anything, and didn't they show Lord of the Rings on the IMAX?? That movie was about 40 minutes longer... how does that work and not Star Wars?

2. Nabooty_Call

Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 11, 2000
    They must've attached the Lord of the Rings film print to the spool with some "crispy bacon" ;)

imo, AOTC is so fast-paced that they will have to warn heart patients if they edit it any further...seriously, if you do any more than little nip 'n tucks, you'll miss important points and beautiful shots, but I'm guessing most IMAX patrons will already have seen AOTC...

And, since Apollo 13 runs at 140 minutes, I wonder what scenes are being cut out of that one ?[face_plain]

Still interested to see this rumored hyper-edit though!

3. Darth_Chocolate

Darth_Chocolate Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 21, 2002
    Hyper edit?? HYPER EDIT??

I am the great Cornholio! I need AOTC for my bunghole! Are you threatening me with a lightsaber?!
    AHAHHHEEIIIEEIAAHHEHHEEIAIIIIAAEHHEE!!!!!

4. stone

stone Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2000
    they could remove all the stuff with padme and anakin on naboo. i wouldn't miss it, and admit it, you wouldnt either.

well, except for that last shot of padme in the nightgown.

everything from after her meeting with the queen up to that scene where anakin and padme decide to go looking for mom.

i know i for one, plan to hold down FFwd button on the dvd.

5. Darth_Chocolate

Mar 21, 2002
    uhhuhhuhhuh... he said "button"... huhhuh

And some of the scenes on Coruscant, ani and padme in her quarters packing, shorten some of the Kamino scenes where Obi is just getting a tour, stuff like that too. Like Brian said, most folks have already seen AOTC already and this is just gonna be a repeat viewing, so cut to the chase... literally!! ;)

Now get back up on the roof, and don't worry about falling... you're a pegasus!

6. Kurgan1

Kurgan1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 2000
    Yup, what they said. And Lord of the Rings doesn't count. They weren't using the IMAX projectors for that one. They just brought in a standard projector and put it on the screen. As a result, the picture barely took up a third of the screen. Kind of disappointing, really, but the sound was really awesome.

As far as Ep. II, as long as they don't cut out anything with a lit lightsaber in it (anymore than they already have....grumble), I'll be fine. Oh, and Anakin's dark moments on Tatooine. :D

7. Nabooty_Call

Sep 11, 2000
    Boo-yaaah! Imagine the IMAX version of Tusken decapitation!!! :eek:

8. Nabooty_Call

Sep 11, 2000

Hmmm...funny thing about all this talk about editing AOTC down to 120 minutes is that Apollo 13 is getting the full IMAX treatment, and the Cinemark 17 website shows its running time as 140 minutes...

Much ado about nothing, anyone ?[face_plain]

EDIT:

Called the Cinemark 17 IMAX, and here's the deal...they were looking at getting larger platters for Apollo 13, but evidently that didn't happen.

So they are stuck with a 120-minute print (contrary to what's listed on the site).

LOL, this particular manager I talked with doesn't know how or even if they'll fit AOTC into their 2002 schedule at this point, but admitted things are always subject to change.

So there is a chance they may have a larger platter by then...

Seriously though, 23 minutes (close to half an hour!) is a lot to cut out of an already jam-packed film, even considering that the vast majority of those who will run to their local IMAX to see it will already have seen the original release...

9. Darth_Chocolate

Mar 21, 2002
    I'm so busy right now that if I don't get a larger platter by then, I may not be able to fit it into MY schedule!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.