main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars: Dark Times thoughts?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Feb 17, 2015.

1. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    More of my thoughts:

I didn't like Ember. I don't what Dass saw in her.

Also I wish we could have more of Coruscant and the Senators. Even that whole short scene with Ameeda and Pestage where they're collecting artifacts, I think that would have made a great arc.

spicer likes this.
  2. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    I'm not sure I'm getting 100% of this, but now I've got "When do I get to sing My Way" stuck in my head.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    "Ember"...spark... in the darkness... blah blah schmaltzy symbolic stuff.

Dass's hope was really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

spicer and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  4. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I agree with the general opinion: a fantastic series, but the ending could have been handled better and Ember was the worst.

5. Grey1

Nov 21, 2000
    OK, maybe I had 100% after all. The thing that's confusing me is that the title was probably set in stone when Ember probably was the only character supposed to survive the arc. Probably she'd been pregnant at that time, too. Wait, was she pregnant in the actual series? Can't remember at all. Anyway, this Mick Harrison guy probably said to himself, "If Ostrander's Jedi Purge era Jedi character gets an unrealistic happy end with his girl by his side, so does mine!"

Cracian_Thumper likes this.
  6. Cracian_Thumper

Cracian_Thumper Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    The difference being that we actually cared about Khaleen. ;)

7. Grey1

Nov 21, 2000
    Did we? Can't remember at all. I admit that I mostly remember her Duurseemian physiology and garments, and I'm not even ashamed of that. Every time I would feel ashamed, I blame Duurseema.

Shadow Trooper, spicer and Darth_Duck like this.
  8. Cracian_Thumper

Feb 7, 2015
    Well, I guess it's more like "Khaleen had a lot longer to grow on the reader."

spicer likes this.
  9. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Okay, this made me laugh.

10. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Biting back the "there's always hope so long as the hero gets the girl preggers" comment here...........[face_frustrated]

Vthuil, spicer, Grey1 and 3 others like this.
  11. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Great thread - I collected & own all of the Dark Times comics (including the later mini-series), but have honestly not read all of the issues. I need to go back & re-read (or read for the first time) the entire series, from the beginning.

I will say that the series was innovative & interesting, in that it focused on one of the "last of the Jedi" who had survived the Jedi Purge in Episode III; IIRC, it was one of the few EU (at least at the time) that focused on the 20 years between E3 & E4; of course now we have Rebels, and probably other novels/comics (I will admit to being hazy on what's come out in the EU from a novel standpoint, at least from the past 15 years...)

spicer likes this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Save for stuff set in the aftermath of ROTS and perhaps up to a year later, there's really not much in this particular era surprisingly.

13. Cracian_Thumper

Feb 7, 2015
    In the "new" continuity, it's basically Tarkin, A New Dawn, and Rebels out so far. Plus the forthcoming Kanan comic and the Lords of the Sith novel.

14. Grey1

Nov 21, 2000
    Back when Ep3 was out the EU only got the first year after ROTS and the first year before ANH (although I'm not sure on the latter since previous EU had already claimed 5 years before ANH, plus background stuff like the Han Solo trilogy). That way, the coming intertrilogy projects (which never came) wouldn't have had to stomp on ill-prepared EU. You know, kind of the situation we got with TFU and the birth of the Rebellion. And which we would have now with Rebels and the birth of the Rebellion if it were still one canon.

Therefore, the last Jedi from Dark Times as well as the last Jedi from The Last of the Jedi and the last Jedi from Coruscant Nights and The Last Jedi can all basically be crammed into a six-month period after ROTS or something like that. Plus the several last Jedi we see in the Purge comics. And that's probably also where Corsucant Night's problems regarding "how long ago was that again" came from - references that would only have made sense if the CN trilogy had been given a lot more air to breathe of those 20 years.

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yep, pretty much. CN suffers I think from a change of plans on where it was supposed to be and failure to communicate or edit it to fit. I like the series, but the sense I get is it started off much later in the dark years than it ended up.

spicer likes this.
  16. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Do it! :D
    I'm not exactly certain when the Coruscant Nights trilogy and the Last of the Jedi novel fit (I believe it's around 18 BBY, but I'm not sure), but Dark Times starts 36 hours after the end of ROTS/Mustafar duel and the last arc (A Spark Remains) ends 6 months after ROTS. So you're spot on about the 6 month period. The Purge comics take place during the first 3-4 months after ROTS.

17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Overall a great series, though not one without it occasional lulls. Still, a couple goods arcs and at least one outstanding-everf-fan-should-read-it arc (Blue Harvest) balance out the lesser ones. It's held back by it's ending being cut short by the Legends/Disney situation so it doesn't function as a perfectly standalone, "completed" series, but one a good one that had an open ending.

And Wheatley's art made every delay worth it.

It's really less of a successor and more of a direct continuation (albeit one under a new creative team). Sure, the title changed but it still had a Republic issue # on the inside til the very end- and with Dass's story beginning in the final Republic-branded issues, the transition isn't much different from the Star Wars-to-Republic rebranding and creative team shifts.

Kylun and spicer like this.
  18. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999

Re: Lflm./Disney, I am completely ignoring their SW continuity/canon. As I've said before in other threads, my own personal "canon" are the 6 films, the HTTE Zahn books, DE, Dark Times, and any other EU books/comics I like...

In fact, I will completely ignore the continuity in the forthcoming ST/spin-off films in favor of the '90's & 200X's novels, comics, etc.....

19. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    I'm going to say it: Dark Times's long life bothered me. Truly excellent series like Legacy and KOTOR that were delivering great issues every month got canned when they still had tons of story left to tell, while Randy kept his pet series alive until the bitter end.

Wheatley's delays were a joke. When it takes more than twelve months for five issues to be released, you have to struggle to keep caring about the story. Wheatley's art may be breathtaking, but when the delays are consistently that bad, why not look elsewhere? Dave Ross's art in Parallels was great. Not as good as Wheatley's, but I'll disagree that Wheatley's art made up for the delays. As a non-trade-waiter, I can't get behind that.

Did any of us care all that much about this series during its first few arcs? I feel like someone here would have figured out the Mick Harrison/Welles Hartley thing if we did.

Cracian_Thumper likes this.
  20. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    I did (surprise!:p). I didn't start reading Dark Times until Parallels was nearing it's end, but once I started I was hooked. I was very disappointed and even angry at times about the delays between issues, but despite that, even after months since the previous issue was published I couldn't wait to get get my hands on the new one. I fell in love with the series so much, that apparently no delay was long enough to make me lose interest even a bit. But that's just me.
    I wasn't a member of these forums back then, but I did visit the Dark Horse boards from time to time, and I found it a little suspicious when Randy always answered the questions regarding Dark Times, while writers for other series like JJM, Ostrander, etc answered questions for their series every now and then. But then again I didn't give too much thought about it, so...

21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The delays were annoying. For a series that started in 06 or so we should have had 50 plus issues no problem.

22. Grey1

Nov 21, 2000
    I don't follow most of the names involved in the comic world, which is why the Marvel announcements didn't make me care for anything - I simply don't know the people in spite of their importance. With DH, a few names kept popping up, and KOTOR and Legacy obviously got everyone invested. With Dark Times, I probably couldn't have told you whether everything had been written by the same person, let alone how that person was called, until "the big reveal".

How about the timing for the reveal? Could that have been meant to boost the series' importance? Making it the boss' series so it would get more attention, possibly more readers and more security for the coming arcs?

23. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    I am curious about this as well. I wasn't a member back when that was revealed, so what were the reactions? And why was Randy using aliases in the first place?

24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It's all a long time ago!

Nonetheless, that DT evaded the axe that fell on Knight Errant (I know JJM decided to axe it, but that series was bloody brilliant!), Agent of the Empire, Invasion (it could have gotten better), due to who was writing it did become pretty obvious.

Wheatley is, for me, the SW equivalent of the likes of Frank Quitely - they'll do great work but you need to stockpile the issues before you even solicit #1 of the series!

25. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    spicer likes this.