main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

STAR WARS: DARTH PLAGUEIS Novel

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Zorkel567, Jul 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    I wondered why the sudden discussion of this again.

great...another year and a half of in-fighting over this...with 5+ years of built up animosity behind us.

Oh the joy.

2. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Very cool to hear. I hope Luceno keeps his high quality track record up.

3. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    'marine, I say this as a friend, but what do you love about SW? :p

4. DarthMRN

DarthMRN Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 28, 2007
    One man, with a deadline, and a story to tell. Aided only by Licensing's imperfect continuity testing process. I remain skeptical that even a god could credibly account for the walking Xanatos Roulette that is Palpatine, at least without confining future possibilities and retcons. Especially if this is just a small part of the book, as opposed to its dedicated topic.

There is also something much more impressive about just having Palp's genius looming behind the scenes, encompassing everything, and justifying anything, than to have these things defined, explained and rationalized. It is one of those things where the author should just allude to it, because the reader's imagination will always do a better job of conveying it than mere words could.

5. darthjulian777

darthjulian777 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2008
    Interesting......I would have never guessed....yay I love Jim's novels

-Yun-Yuuzhan, Do'ro-ik Vong Pratte

6. EECHUUTA

EECHUUTA Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2007
    Interesting. [face_thinking]
    I hope it turns out good.[face_flag]

7. Ki-Aaron-Mundi

Ki-Aaron-Mundi Jedi Knight star 2

May 22, 2008
    Wow! I admit, I'm surprised they're pulling this one off the shelf.

Expectations are running high--it's going to be tough to satisfy everyone, since we all have our own opinions about matters like if Plagueis and/or Palpatine had a hand in Anakin's creation, and if so, how and to what degree.

Edit: One more thought that just occurred to me--am I remembering correctly that we heard about the original Plagueis novel that it was also going to feature Qui-Gon and his encounter with the Whills? If that is something I'm remembering correctly and not some wild rumor I picked up at some point, I wonder if it's true now?

8. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Darth Plagueis Novel-Release IT !

9. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Dude.
    It's Luceno.
    I'm not too worried ;)

This is the best move Del Rey has made in years. Luceno is BACK, baby!

"In some forums, the cheering went on for hours."

10. DarthRotten

DarthRotten Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 24, 2003
    IIRC that info came from Luceno himself. I belive he said that Plagueis' quest for the power to cheat death would parallel Qui-Gon learning the real secret to "life" after death from the Whills.

I am SO psyched for this! Qui-Gon and Sidious are two of my favorite characters. Plagueis is an intriguing mystery. If Luceno can just fit in a cameo by Jedi Master Dooku and/or Sifo-Dyas I'll be happy as a Bantha in poodoo.

11. Ki-Aaron-Mundi

May 22, 2008
    Rather than stick in a cameo if it doesn't fit, it'd be great if Mr. Luceno could tackle a Dooku and/or Sifo-Dyas novel after this Sith novel. [face_peace]

12. DarthRotten

DarthRotten Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 24, 2003
    Oh, yeah. That would be even better! I think the story of Dooku's first meeting with Sidious and his turn to the dark side and betrayal of Sifo-Dyas is one of the great untold stories of Star Wars.

13. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    Finally. I just really hope they don't change their minds again.

Maybe we'll get the Recruitment of Baron Fel and the Zekk novel someday too. (Yes, I know I shouldn't be greedy but...)

14. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    We could always have Qui-Gon and Darth Plagueis' Excellent Adventure, where they travel through time to all the cancelled books and tell all the stories that are left untold.

15. Treborani

Treborani Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 18, 2009
    That would be most triumphant, dude.

16. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Excellent!

*plays guitar riff*

17. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
  18. Quinnocent-Till-Sith

Quinnocent-Till-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2004
    It seems to me the only thing you've learned is that Xizor is a "salad dressing dude."

19. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Blue Milk, Metal Bikinis, and anything with the prefix "stim" on it!:D

20. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    In which case, all this book needs is a cup of blue stim-milk being served by a waitress in a metal bikini, and Jmarine will be sold on it! ;)

21. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    *spins top*

*top falls*

22. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Should be a nice political thriller by the look of it.

23. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I'm not really sure what to make of this.

It seems a stretch to assume that Luceno will be granted permission to definitively answer the question of Anakin's origin, and even if he were, I'm not completely sure what his answer would be.

Part of a passage from Dark Lord, if parsed in a certain way, seems to imply that Anakin was created by the Force, or at least that Palpatine thinks so; however, the same passage indicates Palpatine's belief that midichlorian manipulation would be necessary to create a replacement Anakin. This allows either alternative, but it's made clear that Palpatine can't do it.[face_dancing]

Although it's not unheard of for authors to contradict themselves from one book to another, I like to think that Luceno will be consistent with Luceno.

And let's not forget: this is an author whose ideas haven't always been very popular in Star Wars land.

This is the guy who said that Sifo-Dyas ordered the clones... and a lot of people didn't like that.

He also said that Palpatine's disfigurements were nothing new... and people generally ignored that.

Similarly, he said that Order 66 wasn't preprogrammed.

More significantly in this context, this is also the guy who said that Plagueis wasn't the one who "cheated death", and that distinction ( when recognized ) got even less approval.

So... we'll see what happens.[face_skull]

24. Ki-Aaron-Mundi

May 22, 2008

25. DarthIktomi

DarthIktomi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 11, 2009
    Luceno's a good author, but I'll agree his ideas haven't exactly been popular. Especially the idea that Sifo-Dyas created the clones, since it convicts the Jedi of the unpopular accusation Karen Traviss made.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.