main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

STAR WARS: DARTH PLAGUEIS Novel

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Zorkel567, Jul 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    And while we're on the subject of his family...

COSINGA Palpatine? That's the name of the man who sired the monster? I have no problems with it in principle, but it's just so jarring to see a first name EVER in front of that name, even if it wasn't our hero's. But my problem is, if that's the name they went with for the father, I have to wonder what anybody really ever had against the name Ethril (though I CAN now understand why Palps wouldn't want to go by it).

My feeling is that Luceno went with the choice he went with largely because so much time has passed that no first name would seem right for Palpatine now; he's just become too mythologized. If someone HAD been allowed to name him Ethril Palpatine in 1999 for the TPM Visual Dictionary, would we have really argued with it? Perhaps, perhaps not. Depends on personal taste, doesn't it? But the first name issue would NEVER have become so big a deal if they had just gotten it out there, tossed it off, one mention, and otherwise ignored it. But the extra twelve years made the difference, in my eye; right now he CAN'T have a first name; none would fit.

The book may change things again, though. Now that we've obviously been given a heap of new material on the man, we can feel satiated for a while, and wait out the process. Now that we know how Palps generally likes to refer to himself, now that we know he himself considers the first name to be unessential to his person, then maybe NOW they can just toss it off in some brief mention in some book or other, and otherwise ignore it, as the character himself does, and we would treat it with the little importance we're meant to. Maybe THEN Etril could make a comeback.

And no, I will not endorse the name Frank. I don't care if he MUST be Frank; he AIN'T gonna BE Frank. ;)

I will, however, try to start a new movement here whereby the father is referred to with a Big Bang Theory reference: Bazinga!

2. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Since his father was Cosinga -- the first syllable presumably a reference to the Emperor's name in the early scripts -- I now believe Palpatine was Da****inga.

And that would be enough to prompt anyone to butcher their family.

3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I raise you a Janus Greejatus.

Although I admit that's an unworthy substitute.

Agreed. :p

And I liked the COSinga name. :(

4. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003

5. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004

6. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003

7. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    30 Sith Lords.
    (To me, that means whoever was named DARTH)
    So Venamis doesn't count.
    :p

Lots of name drops.
    And one anomaly....

Darth Gravid: Short-term Sith Master who lost a ton of Sith Lore during his brief reign; but in hindsight, the setbacks he caused were necessary. 500 years before Plagueis and Palpatine, he was the one who tried to incorporate Jedi tenets like compassion and selflessness into the Order of the Sith Lords. It appears that his Apprentice did not share in those beliefs.[face_skull]

I believe he was the last human Sith Lord until Palpatine.

As for seeing Palpatine in the force, I can only recall one instance where Plagueis could see him, and it was then that Plagueis deduced that Palpatine had naturally developed his own psychic barriers as a child. Not some force talent of concealment, simply a strong-willed mind.

EDIT:
    Oh, midichlorians.... oh, how I thought ye couldn't get any worse.
    Gizka, they are, in the hands of a proper Sith Lord.

EDIT2:
    For those wanting more on Alexi Garyn & Black Sun, all I will say is that I hope you enjoy all that Sojourn has to offer. Especially with how it was pulled together and by whom. Most already know the aftermath, but there is at least one "Oooh!" moment. Particularly enjoyed Sidious saying: "the one man army that IS Maul..."

8. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    If Palpatine rejected his first name to renounce his father, I would expect some significance to the name itself -- as in possibly being named Cosinga Palpatine II. Middle name . . . Da****?

9. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    I'm glad they left it alone....

I [face_love] all the crazy names.

EDIT:
    Especially: Cos I'm Da****.
    :p

10. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Not a bad idea -- but I think it could just as easily be because Palpatine didn't want any name the father he hated had chosen for him.

11. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

fully agreed ;)

I still vote for Dash Rendar being named Da**** Rendar, with Dash the short name only ;)

and Palps for me always stays Cos (as in Chief Of State) Augustus Da**** Palpatine)

12. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Pfluegermeister:

Well, sure, most things were handled well and Luceno weaved together a lot of disparate tendrils--but that's why the family bit particularly bothers me, because everything else seems to have been handled so elegantly.

Good point about the unnamed character. The only problem is that I seem to recall them having differing political opinions, whereas Dangor was the chief spokesperson for the Palpatinic régime--and the one who, above all others, never sought power for himself. Yeah, I don't expect to get backstories of every single associate of Palpatine's, but when I see that bald fool Doriana I get outraged: Dangor and Pestage are Palpatine's two closest advisers, and we haven't seen Dangor anywhere since WEG. What gives?

Re: Ederlathh, I'm not as willing to dismiss it offhand because I don't think the negotiations would have credibly threatening to warrant assassination if Pallopides weren't real. Gamer folding is the reason we have so little on Oxtroe: otherwise, we'd have her as a major player in court politics (joined the Order of the Canted Circle before Tigellinus and Thrawn), and therefore unlikely to be simply making things up. We still have references to the existence of the Imperial Family at any rate, so having Pallopides as a fake would be a fix that actually broke more than it solved.

Regarding her being a "remote" grandniece, yeah, that's a curious turn of phrase. But your solution also presents more problems than it fixes, because if she were grandniece to his father, then she would be Palpatine's first cousin once removed and not his "remote grandniece" at all. Remote is odd, but grandniece is sadly a very precise term--it's hard to work around it because there's only one way to be a grandniece, and that is to be the grandchild of someone's sibling.

So we have two options: First, that all of Palpatine's immediate family wasn't slain, despite news reports that it was. Somebody was estranged, and that sibling was responsible for Palpatine's niece/nephew who gave us Ederlathh. Or second, one of Palpatine's siblings already had children, and that child gave produced Ederlathh yeeeeeeears later.

I just thought killing them all off was a really inelegant way of answering why we hadn't seen many relatives. They have to be around: people were accosting Pestage for the family records, which were hidden for a reason and the Imperial Family was prominent enough at court for the Tagges to consider marrying into it.

As for Cosinga, yeah, it's silly. I think Palpatine should have just been given a first name, but it could still have been said that he preferred not to use it, and so nobody used it. But to have it unstated is silly, since it did exist at some point.

14. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I would take "remote" to mean that there are a couple greats in there. So it's not necessary that Ederlathh be precisely the granddaughter of one of Palpatine's siblings. She could be his great-great-grandniece, whatever makes the timing work best.

15. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003

The version that was indexed, is the unedited advance copy.

I'm guessing, of course.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    That . . . could work. It's the only thing that makes it work, as it just approximates the fact we add "great" to things. I mean, there's nothing that necessarily makes the timing off, but at least one "great" would make it a lot more sensible.

17. Darth_SHOT

Darth_SHOT Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 11, 2004
    where's that indexed version? pm me if the subject is not entirely legal...

18. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003

19. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    The link is on the previous page. It worked best when I signed in to my google account.

EDIT2:

Sojourn, each adventure there was so well written....
    Now, I want a Pre-Prequel 'Before the Saga' based on this book.

Or some serious SE work done to TPM.
    Wait. Did I? Never mind. Its a PT film.

20. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    STAR WARS: DARTH PLAGUEIS mini-excerpt #6 (ES):
    "Where the Neimoidians should be grateful to Senator Palpatine for proposing the summit, they are instead furious. Everything is in place for launching the blockade.?

?Almost everything,? Plagueis said. ?First, there is the matter of our revenge.?

?Shall I task Maul to pay Veruna a visit??

Plagueis shook his head. ?I intend to see to him personally. Is the Zabrak? Maul, as you call him? capable of dealing with Alexi Garyn and his Vigos??

?He will not fail us.?

21. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    One man army.

22. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Exactly.

23. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    What the frak?!?

This is getting out of hand!

Now there are three of them!

24. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    Man, Plagueis was behind more than I thought he was! I'm actually not sure if I like this. Since I always assumed Palpatine was the mastermind behind the plot for the fall of the Republic this kind of diminishes the weight of his character.

25. Daft-Vader

Daft-Vader Chosen One star 8

Aug 6, 2008
    Yeah have to agree with you it seems where it was Sidious before its really Plageis setting everything up now... :/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.