STAR WARS: DARTH PLAGUEIS Novel

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Zorkel567, Jul 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fistofan1 Force Ghost

star 4
    "I have good news for you, My Lord. The war has begun."

"Excellent. Everything is going as my master planned."

Just doesn't feel the same. :(
  2. Daft-Vader Force Ghost

star 8
    Defintely

We know that this has been a Sith Plot centuries in the making but now everything we thought was Sidious the Evil Mastermind now becomes Plageuis the Evil Mastermind all we are left with are two Death Star plans from Sidious, both of which don;t go so well for him.

Sidious should have been left as the Master from before TPM - some time before. Cloak of Deception made "Sidious" Schemes so thought out
  3. Sable_Hart Force Ghost

star 4
    Just wait 'til you read the book, particularly the final scene with Plagueis and Sidious. All is not lost.
  4. instantdeath Force Ghost

star 5
    One quick question...

Does Qui-Gon show up at all in the novel?
  5. Sable_Hart Force Ghost

star 4
    Yes.
  6. instantdeath Force Ghost

star 5
    Good, even if it's just a cameo. Qui-Gon's a favorite, and I know Luceno likes him quite a bit as well. QG needs more non-Jude Watson representation :)

Excited about the Dooku cameo as well. Hopefully Sifo-Dyas makes an appearance (don't tell me that one :))
  7. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
    Plo Koon: Dude, I have to use the phone.
    Sifo-Dyas: Hold on, I'm making a really long distance call.
    Plo Koon: Hurry up.
    Sifo-Dyas: I said I want some clones dammit!
  8. Sable_Hart Force Ghost

star 4
    Dooku's role isn't a cameo; he appears more than once and has lengthy scenes. Qui-Gon's role is very limited though.
  9. GGrievous Chosen One

star 5
    It does take away a lot of Sidious' character that was established. Everything that his master planned? Meh. It might be painful to read what the novel has to offer in regards to this.
  10. Sable_Hart Force Ghost

star 4
    Take heart; appearances can be deceiving. ;)
  11. SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus

star 6
    No. This is not it.

Darth Sidious is the Master, the greatest Dark Lord ever, but he is still an heir to a thousand years worth of subterfuge. This book solidifies Palpatine's early years, and provides plenty of solid context to believe the choices that he made. Plagueis was an apprentice for a very long time, he acquired massive amounts of Sith lore before killing Tenebrous. To train Palpatine as a Sith, required an equal or greater mind, tremendous power and exceptional skill. Take that one step further and look closer at Darth Maul....

I was skeptical of what this book would do to Emperor Palpatine.
    It isn't perfect, but it is borderline fabulous.
  12. Sable_Hart Force Ghost

star 4
    Those of you who have read the book should help with the TVTropes page on it. I've done all I can. [face_peace]
  13. dark_jedi666 Force Ghost

star 4
    I should be getting my copy of the book tomorrow. I hope to have it finished by Saturday. Lots of power-reading a head of me.
  14. Zorrixor Chosen One

star 6
    Bah. How come so many of you all seem to be getting the novel at its old release date? :p

As for the new stuff? I'm with S3: I don't see it as diminishing Palps at all.

If anything, I feel it enhances him, as it shows how much of a conniving, backstabbing, "THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!" son-of-a-*&%! he truly was. He and Plagueis could have ruled the galaxy forever, side-by-side... but kark that! Palps wanted to be No 1. There was no place for equals in his future empire. [face_skull]

In any case, the Invasion of Naboo failed, whereas the Clone War succeeded, so it was ultimately Palps work on his own that achieved final victory. ;)
  15. Jmacq1 Force Ghost

star 4
    There's nothing here that necessarily tells us the Naboo plan and much leading up to it isn't primarily Palpatine's plan, is there? The situation to me could easily come across as: Palpatine has reached the point where he's handling all the day-to-day/political stuff (with Plagueis basically "signing off") while Plagueis is busy doing his deep, dark midichlorian research).

Of course, I haven't read the book or anything, so I could be way off-base.
  16. SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus

star 6
    You disappoint me, my apprentice.:mad:

I'm lazy, where's the link if u really want the help.
    :p

@ Zor: Palpatine is always playing both sides and that includes the Sith. He obeys his Master and defies him just the same, and it should be noted that most plagues are really hard to get rid of.... so the end game is bigger than what appears on the surface. This book makes Palpatine even more shrewd if you can believe that.
  17. Zorrixor Chosen One

star 6
    Indeed, S3, indeed. [face_mischief]

I love how Plagueis being alive lets us see how Palps was saying "FU!" to everyone, the Sith included.

My readiing from the spoilers you've given? That Palps could have axed Plagueis whenever he felt like: it just served his purpose better to keep stringing Plagueis along, until such time as it suited Palpatine for Plagueis to die. The "Apprentice"? Hah!

He wasn't one of those TOR emos who just want to whack everyone at the earliest possible opportunity. [face_Tongue]

Could Plagueis be the only Sith Lord to live forever? Only if it benefited Palpatine.[face_skull]
  18. SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I wish that were true and I apologize if my spoilers gave that impression. Plagueis is a bad man in every way; he is as powerful as he is brilliant and equally as arrogant. Sidious was in genuine awe of Plagueis and even mused once that his Master "must be immortal... because no one could survive that." Hence my quote about plagues being tough to eradicate.

Sidious only wished he could take out Plagueis at a moments notice, but that does not diminish our favorite Emperor. Its makes him more insidious. I'm so treading a fine line right here, I want to tell you, but I would be pissed if someone ruined all the Palpatine surprises.
  19. Zorrixor Chosen One

star 6
    You're now making me think that it isn't "alcohol" he gets Plagueis to drink. :p
  20. SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I've decided to drop one major OPERA HOUSE Spoiler:

"The enormity of the event had stunned Sidious into silence and overwhelmed and addled 11-4D's processors, but Plagueis had carried on without assistance, again and again allowing Venamis to die and be returned."
  21. dark_jedi666 Force Ghost

star 4
    Well I just got the book about an hour ago. 60 pages in, so far an interesting read. Too bad work is getting the way of me continuing. A good sized hardcover. Looks very promising.
  22. Sable_Hart Force Ghost

star 4
    Your powers are formidable to have secured an actual copy. Barnes&Noble exec.? :p
  23. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
    I'm guessing Jedi mind trick.
  24. Jedi Merkurian Episode VII Thread-Reaper and Rumor Naysayer

Manager
    star 6
    Indeed. The big "head-scratcher" about the first thing was "what if the original plan had worked," while the second thing is utterly and completely brilliant.
  25. SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I just re-watched the balcony scene in TPM, it has a new vibe now with them being spied upon. "Tatooine is sparsely populated...." -True. But Coruscant ain't.

Every well trained Apprentice eventually becomes the Bane of their Master.
    If familiarity breeds contempt, what does that mean to a Sith?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.