main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

STAR WARS: DARTH PLAGUEIS Novel

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Zorkel567, Jul 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It's just a joke, I needed to think of a Jedi name :p

But I wouldn't be surprised if the Banite Sith tried to eliminate as many descendents of the strong, noble Force-sensitive lines as possible... and succeeded.

2. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Actually...
    [image=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/9/98/SWREB3-FC.jpg]
    Deena Shan fighting alongside Luke Skywalker [face_mischief]

When you consider that it's been hinted at between the Revan novel and the OR comic that Force sensitivity tends to skip a generation in the Shan bloodline, and that Deena Shan was a Squib...o_O

3. mbruno

mbruno Jedi Master star 1

Jan 19, 2010
    Ah, thanks. I wasn't aware of that(or I was and I completely forgot).

4. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Easy.

Ingredients required: 1 Jedi, 1 apprentice, 1 sorcerer.

Get yourself one Jedi prisoner.
    Kill prisoner in live fire exercise.
    Mix sorcerer with dead Jedi to revive.
    Repeat steps 1 to 3 until apprentice is ready.

5. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    You guys will laughingly kurse me when u cross that bridge in the novel.

6. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cosinga_Palpatine

Reminds me of the old Cos Palpatine.

7. dark_jedi666

dark_jedi666 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    I just finished the novel yesterday. I must say it is as good as I thought it would be. It does a wonderful job in showing you the background of Plaguies and Sidious. This book makes Sidious an even better character, IMO. I love also how it changes how we see the prequels.

I recommend this to all EU fans. The best book since Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor.

8. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    Just read a few of the missing pages and I'll say one thing: the guys who said Plagueis wasn't a deadly Sith in combat? They were COMPLETELY wrong.

9. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Yep. Plagueis was more of a self-made badass, than his pathetic mentor trained him to be.

Sojourn. Saleucami.The Woebegone.Kursid... Et all.
    Dude laid waste to whoever stood in his way.

I'm glad my assumptions were wrong, makes Sidious's ascension even sweeter because he really had a mountain to climb.

10. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    From the sounds of things, it appears that my reading of those earlier reviews was correct then...

That said Amazon reviewer(s) couldn't see their scheming Inquisitors past their emo Warriors. :p

11. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    I still haven't figured out why they said that the book was light on action and heavy on politics.

This book is heavy, in every which way but loose.
    But I don't need 34 pages per fight scene, so maybe I'm the one whose off.

12. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Nah, I'm with you. It's not like ROTJ needed some epic lightsaber duel that lasted thirty minutes. It was far more emotive for its "less is more" quality.

13. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    I can't wait for your opinion-of, the *action* on Saleucami.
    If I were a betting man, I'd wager that Karpyshyn LOVED it.
    [face_mischief]

I won't spoil that, for any price.
    It needs to be read, taint-free.

14. Lawlbringer

Lawlbringer Jedi Youngling

Aug 1, 2007
    I've been dying for this book to come out for some time, and these last two weeks are going to be so difficult. It's so hard to completely avoid spoiling anything for myself, especially lurking in these forums. I almost spoiled some stuff on the google books post, but without the whole book being there, I'd just mind-screw myself. Scouring the net to find an early release has borne no fruit, Wal-Mart usually goofs on stuff like this, but no paper or ebooks this early =o(

15. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    STAR WARS: DARTH PLAGUEIS mini-excerpt #7 (ES):
    No Sith have ever been in the position in which we now find ourselves, Darth Sidious: in step with the reemergence of the dark side, fortified by the signs and omens, certain that revenge and victory are near at hand?Yoda and the rest of the Council members will double their meditation sessions in an effort to peer into the future, only to discover it clouded and unknowable. Only to discover that complacency has opened the door to catastrophe.

http://www.facebook.com/starwarsbooks

16. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Wow.

Darth Vader fans will have plenty to talk about when this Novel comes out....
    I don't mean his origins, as I'm only talking about the aftermath of Mustafar.

WARNING!
    What you are about to read might change everything you think you already know.

Page 358:

"All the ones you experimented on, killed, and brought back to life... they were little more than toys. Now, though, you get to experience it from their side, and look at what you discover: in a body that is being denied air, in which even the force is failing, your own midichlorians can't accomplish what you're asking of them.

I could save you, of course. Return you from the brink, as you did Venamis.
    I could retask your body to repair the damage already done your lungs, your hearts, your aged brain. But I'll do no such thing."

People are going to have a field day, debating that hot mess.
    Happy New Year.
    [face_mischief]

17. Darth_SHOT

Darth_SHOT Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 11, 2004
    :eek: ZOMG!

EDIT:i think the real question now is: why didn't Sidious do it, when he obviously could have, on the long trip back to Coruscant?

18. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Might wanna black that EDIT out....
    [face_whistling]

No uncovered hints, bro.
    :p

19. Darth_SHOT

Darth_SHOT Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 11, 2004
    wooops sorry

20. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Unless he was just trying to get the guy's goat one more time before he died. That IS his signature move, after all, you know, mocking victims. And of course, the scene under discussion is one where he executes the signature move flawlessly... ;)

21. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Perhaps you forget how genuinely stunned, Sidious was, when Plagueis repeatedly revived Venamis.

[face_mischief]

22. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    I like this line the most:
    In an almost Stoverish fashion, it's open to interpretation, certainly, and I'm loving Luceno for that right now, but for my part, I definitely like the idea that, all along, Vader was nothing but a toy.

The Chosen One? The prophesied destroyer of the Sith? Hah. Kneel, Jedi, and worship your new lord.[face_skull][face_skull]

Not that I dislike the idea that he was just royally yanking Plagueis's chain either. To want to make his Master's death all the more distressing, because he didn't know the secret, but wanted Plagueis to think he did, purely so that his Master felt his own anger, is certainly a very Palpatinian way of looking at it too. [face_mischief]

Either way, I'm loving these acontextual snippets, S3. :D

23. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Sweet!

Wasn't sure which spoilerz I should post, glad I left Theed alone.
    Figured Vader mattered a little more, than nine year old Anakin.

ONE MORE RELATED SPOILER:

Page 280:

"Drunk on newfound power, then, he had attempted an even more unthinkable act: to bring into being a creation of his own.... Not merely the impregnation of some hapless, mindless creature, but the birth of a forceful being. The ability to dominate death had been a step in the right direction, but it wasn't equivalent to pure creation." [face_hypnotized]

24. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Because I haven't actually read the thing yet (to my shame), I can only make an educated guess, but I'm going to assume, by the use of the phrasing "he had" and "had been," that this passage refers to some person and/or event that occured significantly prior to whatever constitutes the present in this section of the book, a distinct period of time that isn't necessarily clouded by the fact that novels are always written in past tense anyway. I may not even be close, of course, but regardless of whether I am or not, I think the awesomeness of this line is ultimately determined by the answers to the following questions: when was this event the book is referring to, and who it is talking about?

25. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    It began decades before Palpatine was even born and it ended sometime during the PT.
    The SW toy tinkerer, used sentients for test subjects.

Some of it, jaw dropping.
    Plagueis does not disappoint early on, or later either.
    Sidious was simply smarter. He had a healthy respect for the forsepower that resided under the Muun's hood. This book changes everything about midichlorians, now I believe that the Volfe Karkko's of the gffa would make the baddest of darksiders. The soup must midis, has to be....

Anyways.
    The action in this book is like speed chess with explosions before murdering each pawn.
    Plus everything shady in between, and foggy over the top.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.