main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi (New series by Ostrander and Duursema)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by max-attac, Oct 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    G.Walton's quotes have ZERO to do with canon.
    Don't believe me? Go ask Darth Maul.
    :p

2. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    Uh have we moved a bit off-topic? I thought we were discussing Dawn of the Jedi and we seem to be talking about Human High Culture and the male/female gender issue? :confused: Not saying they might not be relevant issues but worried it might be deviating from the topic... if not, then nevermind me.

3. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    [image=http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n107/SithStarSlayer/DotJ1.jpg]

[image=http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n107/SithStarSlayer/DotJ2.jpg]

As always, the ink pen is mightier than the light saber.
    :)

4. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Unidentified_Shawkenese_woman

Shawkenese are clearly human. Wookieepedia may list "Shawkenese" as native species on the Shawken page, but this is just another example of Wookieepedia frequently confusing demonyms as species names; compare "B'nishi", despite the fact the novel specifically says the population of B'nish is entirely human.

I am so happy to learn Twi'leks are an artificially created race. I have long been wanting that idea to be canon. I was seriously having trouble conceiving how such a near-human species could have naturally evolved.

Meanwhile, did anyone notice Ascension makes it sound less certain Red Sith are near-human?

5. Jan_Duursema

Jan_Duursema Comic Artist: -AOTC -Legacy -Republic star 4 VIP

May 15, 2001
    Off topic? Perhaps a bit... :p But, I suppose that's what makes life one these boards... interesting... Hearing everyone's expectations has been interesting as well, and I'm very happy to hear that news of the series sounds like good news for some of you. It remains to be seen whether DOTJ will exceed or destroy your expectations, and I wish we could tell you so much more about it, but the debut of the series is still a ways off. Until we get closer, more info will have to wait for a bit. I believe we have a wonderful story in store for you all.

For those of you who enjoyed Legacy--I hope you will join us for Dawn of the Jedi. For me, it's as exciting to be present at the beginning of the Jedi Order as it was to be there to explore Star Wars' future. It's going to be cool. :cool:

6. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    You probably can't tell us, but are you looking for this series to be a long, recurring one like Republic/Legacy, or a shorter one like Tales of the Jedi? I imagine it will depend on sales and the like, but still just curious.

7. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    All I can say is that it's a pretty big story...

8. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9PFiwnghTE

9. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    How will the art reflect the times? I felt the greek style outfits the soldiers wore in THE GREAT HYPERSPACE WAR, was a little much just to show that the reader was reading something that was supposed to take place 4000 years before ANH.

10. johnthejedi24

johnthejedi24 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 12, 2004
    I agree with this. The tech, outfits and so on seemed WAY too archaic for 5000 years. I know that it was explained in the Essential Chronology as a bit of a "retro" fad going around but some of it was just....out there. And as I said in a previous post, the tech of this era should be more primitive. The GFFA is fairly technologically stagnant but we should still see more stuff like slug-throwers and pulse wave weapons and the like instead of blasters and turbo-lasers.

If any of the editors, authors and artists are reading this. Here's some advice: LOTS OF RESEARCH!

11. jfostrander01

jfostrander01 Writer: Dawn of the Jedi, Agent of the Empire star 3 VIP

Oct 26, 2001
    Here's a reply -- we've done lots of research. Please do not assume we haven't.

-- John

12. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Don't worry, John, that's apparent just from reading the CBR interview. I was almost overwhelmed with the wealth of background information and continuity connections. :p

13. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I am interested to see types of starships we see in this era. Even if the series stays in the Tython system, there is going to be a need for interplanetary travel. Given the setting and the period, I don't really expect to see any titanic fleet battles, but I may yet be suprised.

--Adm. Nick

14. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    Oh, I can't wait for this series and definately picking it up as I am very keen on seeing the Rakata and the Red Sith being on Tython... plus Tython itself. Plus the makers of the Tho Yor intrigue me since I am a big fan of big ancient elder races and stuff like that [face_thinking] So you can count me as a fan already of DOTJ. :)

15. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    Do we have the year In-Universe for the first arc of DotJ yet?

16. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    I am kind of hoping they go for a retro rocket design.

Like, Flash Gorden-esque.

17. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    WEG's Dark Empire Sourcebook mentioned atomic rockets in the section on warship evolution, being the earliest spaceships in the SW galaxy.

18. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Pffffft.

SpellJammer style is where it's at! :p

19. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    I have to admit you got me there Ulicus.

Though I am both pleased and surprised by the atomic rocket thing.

20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    [image=http://forbiddenplanet.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/Doctor%20Who%20Christmas%20special%20Titanic.jpg]

;)

21. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    You may yet be...=P~

22. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    You know, when Legacy ended I went through a Lit depression because I no longer had the teasing posts from John and Jan to look forward to on these boards.

Now that they're back I feel like things have righted themselves.

23. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Pffft. I still haven't gotten over Invincible. :p

Knowing the Rakata and their reaction to any threat is to glass the planet, for example Tatooine, or drive a species to extinction, such as the Kwi, I imagine we'll receive a few fleet battles if the Rakata come in force. To be honest, it does strike me as a bit odd that none of us wondered why the Rakata didn't invade Tython, considering they have a Force-powered hyperdrive. [face_laugh]

24. Giolon05

Giolon05 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2005
    When I saw the news from NYCC that my favorite Star Wars EU team had a new project lined up, I was ecstatic. Then I read the preview/Q&A on CBR, and it blew my mind. I am so hyped on this beyond reason. It's the best Star Wars news I've heard since Legacy was announced.

I'm hoping for you guys to knock my socks off just like you did with Legacy, John and Jan! Everything I've read about it so far sounds fantastic.

25. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Jan, all I have to say is summed up by the following emoticon:

[face_love]

--Adm. Nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.