I.E., CA Star Wars Day at Paul A. Biane Libray--May 29, 2009

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Symina, Feb 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedifan77 Jedi Master

star 5
    Hey Doug, I apologize for not welcoming you sooner. I'm looking forward to meeting you and your friend. This is going to be an amazing first event for you. No chance to test the waters, you're jumping right in. You're a brave soul! Don't worry, I have no doubt you'll have a lot of fun! That's one thing you can say about this group... regardless of what we're doing, we always have a ton of fun!!

I don't think you can send PM's until you've reached a certain number of posts. However, you can get them.
  2. jedi_onasi Jedi Youngling

star 3
    This is crazy awesome.
    I'll be there early. Definitely by 5.
    Tell Dane I love his screen/nick name.
  3. MommyJedi Jedi Youngling

star 2
    It seems fate has allowed us to attend this amazing event you have all planned. We are all so glad to be able to see you again. I can work a shift at the table. Or anyplace else you may need people. I can have my sister watch my girls during that time. We won't be arriving until after 7, as I don't get off until 6:30 then we have to drive up and find a parking spot. I figure that will take the most time.
    Please don't include us in any food or beverage counts. With such late notice, we will take care of ourselves. We are just thrilled to be able to see so many of our friends again and help alittle.
  4. pilot_darklight Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Thank you for the kind welcome, I appreciate it. I am looking foward to meeting everyone. I am also looking foward to jumping into the thick of it. I see it like starting a video game on hard instead of novice, if you survive than everything else should go smooth in the future.
  5. Darth_Cookie_Monster Jedi Youngling

Sorry about being AWOL for a while, who knew looking for a job can suck up so much of your time.

anyways, I have been looking forward to this event for some time now. I will be able to be at the libary at 5pm to help set up and all. then after that what ever you guys need, booth, readings, harrassing, er, I mean, interacting with the kiddies. whatever. I game for it.

looking forward to seeing you all there.

kevin
  6. jedifan77 Jedi Master

star 5
    I don't think we've "taken out" any newbies yet.... at least, not in a long time. Okay, we might have had one messy incident, but we changed things after that. We don't talk about that, anyway. [face_laugh]

You'll be fine. I hope you like sarcasm!
  7. pilot_darklight Jedi Youngling

star 1
    No I don't appreciate the glory that is sarcasm... :)
  8. han-shot-first IEFF President & Minister of Propaganda

VIP
    star 4
    Great! Glad you're making it.

This is a non costuming event for us as a group unless your costume is either Rebel Legion or 501st approved (Cannon). Also, if you've got a Star Wars shirt of any kind, please wear that as you'll be representing the group and we want as much uniformity as possible.

I've got your IEFF badge to wear that will get you everywhere to this event. Please find on the last page the time slot you'll be working and repost with your name in that time slot
  9. han-shot-first IEFF President & Minister of Propaganda

VIP
    star 4
    Wonderful news. Thanks for showing up. Please find on the last page the time slot you'll be working and re-post here with your name in that time slot so we know where you'll be. Also, if you've got a Star Wars shirt of any kind, please wear that as you'll be representing the group and we want as much uniformity as possible. I've got your IEFF badge to get you all access as well.

Also, you may want to get with Kari as she's needed to know how many people you'll have outside of yourself showing up as we needed to let the Library folks know this as this was a sold out event to 1100 people. You technically need a ticket if your not part of the event as in whoever else is in your group. So the sooner you let Kari know, the better as she's got to let Adam and Allen know. :)
  10. Symina Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Mike, I've got tickets for Minda. The people I invited are not coming so I have those for her.
  11. han-shot-first IEFF President & Minister of Propaganda

VIP
    star 4
    Great! Spoke with Adam + Allen today and they need a head count of how many "extra" tickets are need by our fabulous group! Thanks on those tickets for Minda, way to be proactive!
  12. MommyJedi Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Set Up - 5:00ish
    Kari
    Mike & his wonderful crew
    Debbie

7:00 - 7:30
    HSF - Mike
    Wifey - Sheila
    Rebel Smuggler - Dane

7:30 - 8:00
    Sonya - Symina
    Benct7 - Ben

8:00 - 8:30
    Kari - Jedifan77
    Nikol - jedi_onasi

8:30 - 9:00
    Jennifer - Jendi

Minda - MommyJedi

Yes, thank you Mike. I knew this was a difficult event to "drop in on" so I PM'd for tickets BEFORE I posted. I wanted to come, but only if we could get tickets.
    I'm glad it worked out cuz' I can't wait to see all of you![face_dancing]
  13. librarywalker Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Here's Script v0.9 for the night. Once everyone is suited up and ready, they can mingle and play amongst the crowd, doing whatever you want.

6:45 - Everyone goes back into Rehearsal Hall
    7:00 - The band starts playing the Star Wars Theme and the Rebels walk from the rehearsal hall onto the stage in the courtyard.. After that the band plays the Imperial theme and the imperial group marches onto the stage. After everyone is on stage the band plays the Cantina song and the imperial group follows me around the back of Celebration Hall into the kitchen of Celebration Hall.
    7:15 - I announce the imperial group and they walk onto stage in Celebration Hall. I then introduce my dear friend Lord Vadar. He then walks out onto the stage. We may change this so that the imperial group sans Vadar is already on stage and then i announce just him. Your call. And story time begins. Meanwhile the Rebels have stayed on stage in the courtyard and proceed with their storytime.
    7:30 - Storytime ends and the imperial group walks out the kitchen back around Celebration Hall and onto the stage in the Courtyard. At this point when the last group to finish their story time begins their marche to the empty stage the band plays again. Allen and I will be working to coordinate the music with the band, but this won't affect your procession. Expect to proceed to music.
    7:45 - Both groups take the respective stages and the 2nd storytime begins. When this completes the band plays all 3 songs again and from then on, it's free swim for the rest of the evening. You guys know better than anyone what the fans want and how to provide it, so it's up to you to do whatever you want, wanna check out the crafts, go for it, visit the kids playing the jabba frog toss or just hang out taking pix, it's all good. I would give some distance from the professor and the artists, just because you might steal attention, but, i trust your judgement.
    8:00 - The costume contests begin in the courtyard.

There is an area behind celebration hall where the storytime group that finishes first can hide out of sight, while the other group finishes, this way it doesn't impede the dramatic effect. All movements will be cued by Allen and myself. I'll post a map tomorrow showing the path, but Mike agreed today that it seemed to work pretty well.

The reason for the costumed heroes to do the moving is so that we don't have to move 800+ people. We'll tell them, just stay where you are and the other story time will come to you. The tickets indicate which area they're to go to for storytime. Everyone will see both story times.

Throughout the whole thing Allen & I will be plugging everything.

How do the rebels and imperial want to be addressed as a group?

The library and Celebration Hall close at 9:00, the mall and court yard closes at 11:00 (i believe). The play in the theatre gets out at 10:30ish, so fascilities will have to be around til late anyway, so i see no reason why we can't keep the lights up and on in the CY til at least then. I'll of course be sticking around as late as we're allowed as will Allen, and you're all welcome to as well.

The storytime is the only thing that has any real logistics, but after that, we have no requests other than that you guys do what you know better than anyone what to do and how to do it.
  14. librarywalker Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Spoke to the store manager at Gamestop today. They'll be setting up around 6:00. I asked about contributing some items to the raffle and he thought there'd be no problem. Actually he kind of scoffed at my introductory donation suggestion and thought they'd be able to contribute more. I'm the worst marketer/negotiator ever. The district manager is coming out also, which is a good sign and let's us know that they realize it's a big deal.
  15. han-shot-first IEFF President & Minister of Propaganda

VIP
    star 4
    Would it be too much to ask of you Minda if you could work the 8:30 - 9:00 shift? There's actually a benefit to this and you'd be helping out greatly. Here's why + how:

1st is the fact that we've got a new member Jendi (Jennfier,) by herself in this timeslot and we need someone whose a seasoned pro in this group to be with her. YOU are the pro in this case. :)

2nd, by doing this timeslot, you won't miss any of the excitement as the lists of events to experience will be done by then and the ones that aren't, you'll have a front row seat to all the festivities.

Please post here if this works for you and thanks again!
  16. librarywalker Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Allen, Mike and I considered this. What true Star Wars fan would show up at 8 and bail at 9 from an event like this. I wouldn't be surprised if Kyle gets some face time with all of you, both before and after the event. I wonder who will be the bigger fan.
  17. han-shot-first IEFF President & Minister of Propaganda

VIP
    star 4
  18. han-shot-first IEFF President & Minister of Propaganda

VIP
    star 4
    I'm looking forward to seeing you there as is the whole group!

Kari
    Debbie
    (Whoever else can make it)=D=

HSF - Mike
    Wifey - Sheila
    Rebel Smuggler - Dane
    Pilot_darklight - Doug

Sonya - Symina
    Benct7 - Ben
    Minda - MommyJedi

Kari - Jedifan77
    Nikol - jedi_onasi

Jennifer - Jendi

Kevin, from what your post says, you're available for whatever, correct? Can you fill in at the 8:30 - 9:00 slot? Great views indeed!

Kris...WHERE ARE YOU? [face_laugh] Are you coming to this? You're needed indeed! Please Post

Debbie, did you have a timeslot you wanted?

JT are you coming? Cara, how about you? Would love to see you two crazy cats!
  19. jangosmom Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I said I'd be available for whatever is needed. I plan on being there the whole time.
  20. librarywalker Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I feel like i'm letting you down but, if anyone has an extra costume that'll fit a 5'7" (5'8" early in the morning) guy, that they'd be so amazingly generous to allow me to borrow for just the night, i'd be honored to be allowed to wear it. My contact for a jedi robe fell through.
  21. han-shot-first IEFF President & Minister of Propaganda

VIP
    star 4
    Way to go people! This is coming together sterling! =D=

Kari
    Debbie
    (Whoever else can make it)

HSF - Mike
    Wifey - Sheila
    Rebel Smuggler - Dane
    Pilot_darklight - Doug

Sonya - Symina
    Benct7 - Ben
    Minda - MommyJedi

Kari - Jedifan77
    Nikol - jedi_onasi

Jennifer - Jendi
    Jangosmom - Debbie
    HanChewie - Sandy
  22. HanChewie Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Yea, Minda gets to come and play. Wonderful for all of us.
  23. librarywalker Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I'm so happy about every new person who gets to participate and play along. This night is for you, or i guess us. My rule is if it's ever not fun, make it fun. I don't think that the kids fully realize what they're going to see, and to be honest part of that is intentional so that when they see it, their minds will be blown. Just like mine was last year.
  24. han-shot-first IEFF President & Minister of Propaganda

VIP
    star 4
    [image=http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h227/bobarocks/x094.jpg]
    Thinking...i'm thinking...i'm thinking!

[image=http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h227/bobarocks/x095.jpg]
    Here? No here? What about here?

[image=http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h227/bobarocks/x096.jpg]
    I got it!!!

[image=http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h227/bobarocks/x085.jpg]
    Top secret

[image=http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h227/bobarocks/x093.jpg]
    Fill in your own caption on this one

[image=http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h227/bobarocks/x105.jpg]
    This is Adam + Allen hard at work planning this event.

[image=http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h227/bobarocks/x113.jpg]
    Mike said if we stand like this, we can look cool like him!
  25. jedifan77 Jedi Master

star 5
    It's official... Allen and Adam have been sucked in. As always, great pix, Mike!

Sonya, Allen and Adam, we need to set up a time for a call. I've only got 2 classes today, so I'm pretty open. What works for everyone.

After the call, Sonya and I need to figure a rough plan of where we'll need which characters.

Do you think Kyle would want a couple of Troopers 'standing guard' for him during his panel?

Mike, I forgot to mention that I love Dane's screen name!

Scott, our Vader for this event, came up with the following:

Reading leads to Learning,
    Learning leads to Knowledge,
    Knowledge leads to Power,
    With Power I can achieve Anything!
    Learn to Read!

I envision a bookmark with Vader as the background and this saying over him.

Allen & Adam, add an Endor Commando to the list of characters coming. Seems that we still have volunteers trickling in!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.