main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I.E., CA Star Wars Day at Paul A. Biane Libray--May 29, 2009

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Symina, Feb 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedifan77

jedifan77 Jedi Master star 5

Mar 19, 2006
    That's good information! I think you need to set up a library card sign-up area that night and we'll rotate our costumed people in that area. Let's make that one of our focuses!

2. jedi_onasi

jedi_onasi Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2006
    Would it count if I signed up for a library card even though I live in a different county???? :confused:

3. Symina

Symina Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2006
    Thumbs up!

4. librarywalker

librarywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 5, 2009
    regarding if it counts if a person lives outside of the county and signs up for a library card.

Yes. The state allocates some funds based upon cards issued to people from outside of the city/county. That way libraries are able to service all citizens of CA regardless of where they live. So the result is that all libraries are able to have large programs and collections which are open to everyone.

That being said, if it weren't for the graciousness of everyone volunteering to appear and help out, Star Wars Day/Night would be nothing. So the debt goes to all of you. We've had world famous authors come in, complain, play prima dona and take off. With all of you, i've legitimately felt a bond and a common connection. It's fun to make people happy, and to know that what you're doing is making a lot of people excited about something that's not going to happen for another 2 months. That's pretty cool. Times are hard, parents can't take their kids out to the movies every weekend, or people go out themselves, but instead they can go to the library and have a night they'll remember forever. You guys are awesome.

5. han-shot-first

han-shot-first IEFF President & Minister of Propaganda star 4 VIP

May 6, 2006
    We scratch your back...you scratch ours...got it!:cool:

6. librarywalker

Mar 5, 2009
    It's also just a self serving way so that we (and by we i mean SW fans) can quantitatively show just how awesome these SW events are.

7. MommyJedi

MommyJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 22, 2007
    We are having our bookfair at school this next week and I told my scholastic rep about this event (he lives in Rancho). He was really excited about it and can't wait to come with his family. He also said he'd donate some books (don't know how many or if he'll actually follow through with that) that we can raffle off or donate to the library in the name of the IEFF. He also said he would share the info about the day with his other schools.

8. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    Lookey, lookey what I have!!!

[image=http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a76/jedifan/Donatedhelmet001.jpg]

It's the full sized clone helmet from the animated series. This was produced and donated by Marcelo. His generosity is amazing!

I don't remember all the details we talked about in regards to raffling this off at the library. Were all proceeds going to the library? For some reason, I though were saving some for CHOC. Somebody please straighten my head out on this.

9. AboutaSith

AboutaSith Jedi Knight star 5

May 13, 2005
    Sweeeeet! I will be out of the country for this event but definitely want to get some tickets!

10. Symina

Nov 8, 2006
    I don't remember either. Can we just pick a charity out? What about our own local hospital, LLUMC? They have a children's hospital there.

Any word on whether we can get the saber team out, Kari?

11. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    I've already talked to Phil about it, but will work on the official post for the event tonight.

12. Symina

Nov 8, 2006
    I posted on both the 501st and the RL. I'll email you the code so it'll be easier for you to post.

13. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    I had no idea what 'code' you were talking about until I got the email.

Thanks!

14. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    It's posted on the OCSWS boards. I'll keep you updated and let you know about the saber demonstration. Thanks for sending the code. Made it SUPER easy to post!

Sonya, I made you an Admin for the IEFF group on Facebook. I did a created this event for the group, but did it in a hurry and it needs help. If you have time today, would tweek it so it looks nice and explains everything? I'm on my way out the door, so can't do it today. Thanks!

15. Symina

Nov 8, 2006
    Okay, I updated it a bit and send out invites.

16. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    Thank you!

17. librarywalker

Mar 5, 2009
    Ok, this is preliminary, i might get shot down by the powers that be. But i think it'd be cool to include the library as a site for the raffle, either as the announcement date, or just as a spot to buy tickets. Hopefully it'd help to get you the publicity you deserve. It may be dependent on the language and recipient of the funds, but something like "all proceeds go to local charities", might fly. But you ladies and gentlemen have been so generous with your time and energy to the library, that Allen and I are certainly looking for ways to repay the favor. If you're interested let me know if there's a way we can help you guys out. Last year we had i believe 450 people, this year we're aiming to significantly increase that (and i think we definitely will), so if nothing else I hope we (the library) can help bring attention to this very good cause.

Like i said, i may get rejected, but i wanted to let you guys know where my head is at, and that we'd like to help out. If nothing else the exposure will hopefully help in the raising of funds.

18. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    Sadness: Due to strict guidelines by LFL, there will not be a lightsaber demonstration at this event. :_|

19. librarywalker

Mar 5, 2009
    Nuts, but ok, we move on. But we also look to you men and women for ideas. What sort of events would you like to see, or have the opportunity to do. And what sorts of events have you seen done in the past that have been very popular. You know best about what the fan realm can provide, my role is simply to facilitate it happening.

20. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    What about a specific area for pictures with some of the characters? Minda used to have two different backdrops.

21. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    I've started selling raffle tickets to the students at my school. They're really excited about it. Even a few of the teachers are buying tickets.

I'll try to have some fliers and tickets to pass out at the meeting so everyone that wants to can start selling.

22. librarywalker

Mar 5, 2009
    This excites me. On Thursday the music director from the Rancho Cucamonga High School committed to bringing his 40 piece wind ensemble to SWN to play selections from SW. A more than worthy accompaniment to all that you guys bring to the table.
    http://www.rchsbands.org/index.htm

23. Symina

Nov 8, 2006
    Woot!

24. librarywalker

Mar 5, 2009
    Woot! indeed. I'm extremely jazzed by this. We've recently had a rash of people saying that they'll be bringing their lawn chairs to line up for tickets. Ah yes, tickets become available on May 16th at 2:00pm, with a 4 ticket limit per person. 1000 people is starting to sound conservative. Tickets are of course free. I think we're all in for nothing less than a spectacle. None of this couldn't be possible without the continued commitment and assistance from all of you and i am extremely grateful.

25. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    Just wait till you get our bill!

[face_laugh]

We love what we do and it's a joy for all of us to be able to share our love and passion for Star Wars. It's a crazy ride and it's great to have company.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.