main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I.E., CA Star Wars Day at Paul A. Biane Libray--May 29, 2009

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Symina, Feb 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedifan77

jedifan77 Jedi Master star 5

Mar 19, 2006
    At this point, we have about 19 adults in costume and 3 younglings. I'm going to try to get a few x-wing pilots as I'll be sporting my brown instead of orange.

I'm going to read the Pigeon book to my classes this week. Also, the custodian said she'd set up the mic in the auditorium so I could practice. I need to get used to hearing myself on the speakers.

It's 12:30 on a work night and I'm still up!! Drat you, Star Trek!

2. librarywalker

librarywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 5, 2009
    Man, 22 in costume sounds like an amazing turnout. I would love it if there were more costumed star wars participants than audience members for Steel Magnolias. That would be an amazing sight. As we move forward keep me updated on how many are planning to come, that way i can work out space requirements and concessions. Additionally as we get near let me know which "characters" are planning to attend so we can think about where we can utilize everyone. It sounds like we may have the opportunity for a couple of photo sessions at once.

Let me know how the pigeon book goes, and feel free to abandon it if it doesn't work out. I've never done a story time so i'm not sure what works and what doesn't, that's more Allen's realm. But feel free to go with what's easy and effective. I still like the idea of something that gets the audience involved in some way or incorporates other costumed members, but i'm not wedded to the idea. I'm always open to suggestions and advice. Once you've found a book that you like let me know and i'll get to scanning the illustrations so we can project them. Same thing with Vader.

In celebration hall we'll be using the built in PA. The speakers are in the ceiling. There isn't a huge delay in the reverb so hearing yourself echoing won't be an issue. In the courtyard we'll be using a 400 watt, 2 speaker PA (Fender Passport). Since it's outside there won't be a huge echo either. In one of the locations i'll have someone i trust to make sure that the equipment works correctly and the levels are good. In the other location, I'll be there to do it. Allen will be MCing in one location, I'll be in the other. We'll have multiple microphones, including some wireless ones. It doesn't really affect anything, i just like talking gear. I've always found that the trickiest thing with using a microphone is refraining from making goofy sounds.

However, regarding Vader. For some reason i got the impression that his voice modulator speaker was located on his belt. Am i correct. If so we should actually plan on miking that rather than miking the mask, or perhaps mixing the two. How does his set up work? Also, does anyone know what kind of batteries his setup uses, troopers included, i want to make sure that i've got some extra batteries available. I believe it was 9v, but i want to be sure.

3. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    Don't you sleep, Adam?

I'll have to ask Scott (aka: Vader) where his speakers are. Will also find out about batteries. It's always nice to have batteries around.

4. Darth_Al

Darth_Al Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 21, 2009
    Does the piegon book seem like it'll fly (pun most definitely intended). If not I can come up with some other suggestions.

5. librarywalker

Mar 5, 2009
    jedifan77: along the same lines another book that i read and enjoyed today was "Don't Let The Pigeon Stay Up Late", essentially the same story as "Don't Let the Pigeon Drive The Bus", but the theme as a storytime book might be even better. If you don't have a copy nearby let me know and i'll get you a copy. Actually here's a version of it being read http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T45wGVDbRSM.

In other news, Allen talked to Kyle Newman's agent today. He's 100% a go. And apparently quite excited. Borders will be there selling copies of his movie. We requested 100 copies.

Had a lady call and ask if there could be overnight camping out. Not sure the city would go for that, and Allen advised against it. But that gives a sense of the excitement. I like to think we're the gateway drug to Comicon. I don't get to work the reference desk much anymore, but the word is that the buzz has been off the charts. We're planning on ending the night with Kyle being available to sign copies of his movie and whatever else he feels comfortable doing, this should give an opportunity for everyone, patrons and talent alike, to meet and greet with him. So, to all of you come for the adulation from the public, and stay to meet a very cool and generous guy.

Staff is driving us crazy with requests for tickets, a very cool sign considering that they're often too cool for school, if you know what i mean.

Tomorrow i'm going to try to meet with the head of facilities regarding parking the falcon in the courtyard. I'm feeling positive about it.

Also plan to meet with Gamestop tomorrow to finalize plans for getting the Wiis in place.

Seriously, SWN is going to be awesome!

If anyone has any questions about the event please don't hesitate to contact me at atuckerm@cityofrc.us

6. librarywalker

Mar 5, 2009
    good news, i got permission for the falcon to be parked in the courtyard, not only that but we'll be able to park it by where the photo area is planned to be. So if you want to, power up the falcon, cause it'll be right in the heart of the photo section and where anyone coming from the food court or parking structure will be able to see it.

7. han-shot-first

han-shot-first IEFF President & Minister of Propaganda star 4 VIP

May 6, 2006
  8. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    That's the best news I've heard all day!!!

Thank you, Adam!! [:D]

I went to B&N last night and found: UP: My name is Dug. Today I read that and Don't let the Pigeon Drive the Bus to 6th graders and 2nd graders. Even though they had fun with the Pigeon book, they liked Dug better. I like it because it's about a yellow lab and I can totally see my dogs in it. You can check it out here.

I'm going to read them both to the rest of my classes this week and get a general consensus. I'll let you know what the kids pick.

I'll call you tomorrow with the contact information for Glen, one of the troopers that will be there Saturday to help with tickets. Also, he's got a friend that would like to bring his family to SW night, so can Glen get 6 tickets for them?

9. librarywalker

Mar 5, 2009
    Allen and i were pretty excited about it also, and to be honest it meant a lot to us.

I think it's cool that you're experimenting with different books. And as i see it the criteria is that you feel comfortable reading it and like it. Just keep in mind that it'll be for a group in the 3 digits, but beyond that, we fully trust your judgment. You certainly know better than i do about what works and what doesn't. If it was up to me, we'd be reading a book about MS Excell.

I think on sat we'll set up the line at about 12, which is the consensus for when people are saying they'll start showing. So for anyone who wants to show off their costumes and play with the crowd, they can show up early and work the crowd. Allen and i will probably set up some entertainment and Allen is prepared for a guerrilla storytime if need be. I'll refrain from jumping in with some Excell tips. The line will be outside, so it'll be hot.

One of our library assistants got stopped while shopping at Target by a patron who recognized her. The patron whipped out a flyer and began asking about the program. 15 minutes later the library assistant escaped. Harder than a Sarlacc pit. But it gives a stunning impression of how much this event means to a lot of people. Also why i don't shop at Target.

On Saturday, I'll need a pretty good count of the number of people involved, so that they can get some VIP passes.

I'm not sure how this will rank against the premier Star Wars events (i expect really well), but i want you guys to know that Allen and I are doing everything we can to make it mindblowing for everyone, and fun for everyone involved, we won't let you down. You guys are giving so much, Allen and I will do as well. There is no try.

Please feel free to hand out any IEFF literature you have this Saturday. We'll have a table ready. If you have DVDs or the like, i can set up some TVs to show those.

The community services department thinks that we're marketing geniuses, i just have to tell them, no, we just have and AMAZING product.

I can't wait.

10. jedi_onasi

jedi_onasi Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2006
    Exciting!!! I was thinking I should go ahead and take the day off to avoid traffic and from the sound of what's going on, I think I had better. I can totally hang out at the library all day. :D I love books!!!!

11. librarywalker

Mar 5, 2009
    The library is part of the Victoria Gardens Mall, so even if you get bored with the library, you can still walk around the mall, shop and eat.
    http://www.victoriagardensie.com/

But definitely stop by and say hi to me, i can't wait to meet you guys. Usually i'd say i'm the short one, but with Allen i get to say i'm the not so short one.

12. jedi_onasi

Apr 3, 2006
    The mall is a dangerous place to be. I might be tempted to spend money. [face_laugh]
    I'll be safer amongst the books and Star Wars fans. :D

13. HanChewie

HanChewie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2006
    Thank you for letting us know about the Falcon. What time do you want her there? Bill took a floater for the day, so don't hesitate to let us know when you want us. It is going to be a great time for all. Do you know how much the DVD's are going to be? We need to be careful how much we spend because of us moving soon.

14. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    We just got another jedi and an x-wing pilot signed up!!! [face_dancing]

15. librarywalker

Mar 5, 2009
    my preliminary thinking is it'd be awesome to have the falcon in place by 6, just to avoid running over kids. Allen and i also plan to have some food on site around then for our heroes in costume. We can certainly do earlier or later, we're flexible. Gamespot will be on site around 6 to set up the video game systems as well and the gaming area is by the photo area (go where the kids are). Borders' website is listing the price at 19.99, my gut is that the price will be around that. I'll get some specifics.

One of the local mall retailers came by today and wants to do a discount for everyone who attends. Means little for us, but it does give an indication as to how much word of mouth is spreading. No other retailer has approached us before.

Printed the tickets today. They look awesome. Professional tickets on professional ticket stock. Staff wants us to have signage out when we close on friday for the early morning campers, in response to the interest they've gotten from patrons. We had 575 show up for our Black History Month festival and the demand was no where near how it is with this.

Following the ticket release we'll be contacting the Daily Bulletin, Riverside Press Enterprise and other papers, inviting them out to cover the event. If history is any indication they'll be here that night as well.

I bought a video camera for the ticket release and SWN, following the ticket release i'll put up some youtube vids so everyone can see what to expect.

16. librarywalker

Mar 5, 2009
    that's awesome news!

17. librarywalker

Mar 5, 2009
    I've created a rough blue print of where things are going to be. Not everything is included, i only included the stuff that is pretty set and can't be easily moved around
    http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu341/crimsonadam/NewPicture.jpg

1- parking structure entrances
    2- Gamestop video game area
    3- Borders DVD selling booth
    4- Picture area & and Falcon
    5- Storytime & costume contest stage
    6- 40 piece Rancho Cucamonga High Wind Ensemble
    7- Library, Randy Martinez & Denise Vasquez, University of La Verne professor speaking on mythology of star wars
    8- Celebration Hall, story time, Kyle Newman
    9- Arbor Ct (just for reference)
    10- Courtyard, IEFF table

google map is here:
    Cultural Center Dr, Rancho Cucamonga, San Bernardino, California 91739
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=13505%20cultural%20center%20drive&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl

18. han-shot-first

han-shot-first IEFF President & Minister of Propaganda star 4 VIP

May 6, 2006
    I better bring extra batteries for all the pics i'll be taking! Can't wait!

19. Symina

Symina Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2006
    Awesome, thanks Adam!

20. librarywalker

Mar 5, 2009
    For those of you interested, here's what the tickets will look like (although not that squished)

[image=http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu341/crimsonadam/SWNTicket.jpg]

http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu341/crimsonadam/SWNTicket.jpg

21. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    Very cool. Which one of you are keeping #1?

22. jedi_onasi

Apr 3, 2006
    Awesomeness!!! I'm super excited now!!!!! It's almost here!!!
    Two weeks!!!!!!!!!!!! [face_dancing]

So who is planning on getting down there early???

23. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    My last class will be pushed out.... I mean, they will leave the library at about 2:15, so I can be there around 3:00.

Sonya and I need to make a schedule for our IEFF table. I'm thinking we'll probably do 2 person shifts of 30 minutes each. That way we'll always have the table covered and everybody will get to experience the event, too.

Even if you've posted before, please RSVP again so we know for sure who's coming. Thanks!

Kari
    Sonya

24. Symina

Symina Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2006
    I think it also would be a good idea to have someone outside so that when the guys (and gals) with totes come, they can drive up, drop their stuff off and go find a parking spot. I suspect that with the normal mall activity, plus the people there for the event, it might be trickier finding parking.

25. jedi_onasi

Apr 3, 2006
    I'm coming!!!!!! Not sure about Ronnie.
    And I will definitely work at the booth.
    Would we be able to have parking set aside for some people?
    Although an unloading/loading area for costume people would be good too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.