main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

STAR WARS Debate thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Providence, RI' started by DarthLucanas, Mar 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dex1138

Dex1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 1999
    In Return of the Jedi there was an A-Wing pilot that rammed the bridge of the Executor and destroyed it.
    Not for nothing, but his ship was going down anyway :)

2. DarthMoby

DarthMoby Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Not for nothing, but his ship was going down anyway

Do I detect a bit of Wedge love in you Dex?

3. Dex1138

Sep 8, 1999
    *pulls on a 100% wool robe and scuffs feet on carpet*

Now, Young Moby...you will die!

*unleashes Force Static Electricity*

4. Jeffbacca

Jeffbacca Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 14, 2002
    Whats the best or what do you like the most: single lightsaber, duel wielding 2 lightsabers, or Bo staff lightsaber. No mentioning of alien races with more then 2 arms and what not. Thats cheating =P

Keeping in mind that the person's skill with them is equal with all 3 set ups. No Darth mauls fighting a novice jedi with 2 sabers and what not.

5. DarthMoby

DarthMoby Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    I personlly like style over how many sabers you have. Dooku's saber technique rocks! But Obiwan in episode IV looked like a putz. So if I said one handed one bladed, that wouldn't be accurate. My second favorite style was Anakin's in Episode II. Sometimes he used 1 blades, sometimes 2. For me its a matter of style.

6. Jeffbacca

Oct 14, 2002
    I don't know. As far as style goes, its tough to judge by that since in the OT, no one really had a style. Old Obi, Vader and Luke all had a very simple fighting styles, and the only reason for that: they were made so long ago.

I'll have to agree with you with Dooku's fighting style. It wasn't flashy and he could probably hold up a saber duel a very long time.

As for something like Yoda's style, it had me giggling like I was a kid again and I loved it. Definately my favorite to watch. But the will and strength needed to hold that up, would be tough to do. Now obviously Yoda kicks butt and he could probably do that all day long when he was younger, but it was alittle rough for him in Episode 2.

Which would bring to me discuss stuff about how the force has no limit except for the mind using it, but I'll save that for later =)

7. Dex1138

Sep 8, 1999
    Duel wielding has always been a favorite of mine. Something I think would be ineteresting is to wield the "off-hand" saber upside down. (Don't ask why) It would make for a very weird fighting style.

8. Jeffbacca

Oct 14, 2002
    didn't anakin do that briefly in episode 2? yea definately very cool.

9. -Raldayen-

-Raldayen- Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 27, 2003
    If you want to see dual weilded lightsabers with one pointed down, then check out this fan film. One warning though, this film is set in real life time. Tons of swearing in it. It's also 90 minutes long. It's one of the best fan films I've ever seen.
    To Know A Jedi

10. Dex1138

Sep 8, 1999
    Well, that was a strange little thing. That's what I'm talkin about with the pointed down thing, only cooler :)
    Next week, on Dawson's Lightsaber....
    ;)

11. Jeffbacca

Oct 14, 2002
    I ended up downloading and watching The Formula and To Know a Jedi. Both very good movies. I don't think they could be compared to each other. I recommand you guys spend the time to watch them.

Plus! To Know a Jedi had some nice cleava .... errr ... I mean dialogue in it. Yup some great big dialogue.

12. idarii

idarii Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    this is going back to the very beginning of this thread, where there was debate on how truthful the jedi order was.

i give you...jedi lies!

my only wish is that this article included episode 2 stuff (it was written in '00), but it's still very funny, and has alot of OT references to support the claim that the jedi will lie to achieve whatever ends they desire.

13. Dex1138

Sep 8, 1999
    I have to say "To Know" is definatley one of the more original fan film ideas I have seen, despite it being a little predictable in the outcome. That guy might not have made a bad Anakin.
    I know it was set real world, but they need to cut back on the Tarantino movies. I curse when I'm talking with my friends but man, I think Jules wouldn't wanna be seen with these guys.
    And the girl's dialog was a little wierd in places. For some reason I can't picture the same person that said "put it in my butt" saying "The feeling's mutual" but maybe that's just me. And if she didn't really say the butt thing, my apologies but that's what I heard!

14. Jeffbacca

Oct 14, 2002
    I thought it was very predictable but only because I put 2 and 2 together. And if those guys knew anything about star wars they would have seen it sooner as well. As soon as he said, anger is best, its like boom red lights. Dark side dude. But by the time they find out, its too late.

When she said the butt line, she was refering to the guy who asked if he could put it in her butt when they were at the party. She was not asking the dude right there and then to do it. I cracked up when he said that.

It was definately a bit much on the swearing but didn't bother me too much. I can see a bunch of college guys talking like that.

15. -Raldayen-

Sep 27, 2003
    Will Green was bad ass in that movie. He played his character perfect. I loved when first found out about the Force. He was like a kid in a candy store.

16. DarthLucanas

DarthLucanas Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2003
    I just was thinking about this.
    How did Luke Skywalker go from farm boy in A New Hope to a commander by ESB?
    And how did Han Solo go from a smuggler in A New Hope to a military captain in ESB and then to a general in ROTJ?
    Wasn?t Han frozen in carbonite? How did he jump to a general in so short a time?
    And how come Luke didn?t jump to an admiral in ROTJ?
    Wouldn?t that of kept pace with the assignment of ranks through the trilogy?
    Same with Lando how did he jump to a General in ROTJ? I know he was with the Rebels for awhile after ESB but really!

In the real world it takes years and years to advance in rank in the armed services.

Does anyone have an explaination for this and justify these promotions?

Oh yeah and how and why does Wedge ever get promoted???? o_O [face_laugh]

17. -Raldayen-

Sep 27, 2003
    Well Luke, Han and Wedge did all help in destroying the Death Star. I hope they would get promoted after that. As for Lando, well they must have heard about his little maneuver at the Battle of Taanab.

18. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    How did Luke Skywalker go from farm boy in A New Hope to a commander by ESB?

After destroying the single greatest and most powerful weapon the galaxy had ever seen (I know, the ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force ;)) wouldn't you give him the extra bump in rank?

And how did Han Solo go from a smuggler in A New Hope to a military captain in ESB and then to a general in ROTJ? Wasn?t Han frozen in carbonite? How did he jump to a general in so short a time?

Despite the fact that many Rebels were able to escape the Imperial attack on Hoth there were probably still many officers killed there so to fill the ranks he was probably promoted right after his de-thawing.

19. Dex1138

Sep 8, 1999
    Plus, it's also common courtesy to refer to anyone with their own ship as Captain even if it's not an actual military rank ;) And you'd probably want a well-known war hero leading an important offensive.
    Luke's promotion to Commander is explained in the ESB radio drama. Commander Narra was en route to Hoth with a supply convoy when they got wiped out by an Imp ambush near Derra IV. So Luke was given a quick field promotion. He was likely never promoted beyond that because he was no longer with the military.
    As for Wedge, he took Luke's palce as the leader of Rogue Squadron.

20. DarthLucanas

DarthLucanas Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2003
    What about the DVD Trilogy?
    Will you buy it? Even watch it? Or shun it completely?
    I would love to hear the pros and cons of it.

This is a quote by buster726 on the New Jersey boards.
    GL is a Prick for NOT releasing the ORIGINAL and if anyone tries to bring that filth in my house you will be greeted by me with a BAT!!!!!!

Now that is what I call a ringing endorsement. [face_laugh]
    Man I do love the use of the word "filth" ..you just don't hear that word enough nowadays. Go get em RJ!!

So do you agree with him and others or do you disagree?

21. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    I don't think the die-hard, original OT fans will have to wait too long for an un-edited version of the OT on DVD. Once they see the OT SE (or whatever it's called) LFL will get swarmed with more e-mails than ever calling for an un-cut, un-touched copy of the OT. You can count on LFL to jump on the chance to make another set and release it in conjunction with a PT box set ($$$ ;)).

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing some of the changes that are going to be made to the films. I can appreciate the "sophisticated-yet-simple" special effects from the 70's, but I personally don't see anything wrong with giving the movies a 21st century touch.

22. Dex1138

Sep 8, 1999
    I don't think the die-hard, original OT fans will have to wait too long
    How long have we waited for this set? lol

I'll be getting it, as it will be the only official dvd version. As much as I'd like to believe GL will have a change of heart after the rantings of PO'd fans, he won't.
    This is the way he wants his movies to be now until the end of time. Same reason you can't even get the OT on VHS in stores.
    I'm still secretly keeping my fingers crossed tho

23. buster726

buster726 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2002
    GO Get 'em Scouts!!!

Oh If my first idea doesn't work
    plan "b"
    sshhhh. quiet your gonna ruin the suprise. Besides thought we were gonna put him in carbonite.

"I like my favorite decoration" Right in my living room LOL LMAO

GL in Carbonite in my Living Room And don't forget to check the sig.

24. Jeffbacca

Oct 14, 2002
    I will get them at some point, when money becomes less of an issue.

As far as the changes go, shrug. I don't know. I think people are making too big of a deal. I guess I missed out not seeing them when they first came out originally. I enjoy star wars greatly, but I'll never win a game at star wars trivial pursuit.

To me, some of the people who are so upset about the changes, seem ungreatful. What have you done for me lately Georgie! Don't get me wrong, I know what the big deal about Han shooting first is, and I'll agree.

Then you have the folks who are angry at GL for being so money hungry, who sit there with their fingers crossed, hoping he gets more greedy so he'll release the originals on DVD for some more money.

Alot of people forgot how to just sit down and enjoy the movies, and started being too critical of them.

25. Dex1138

Sep 8, 1999
    It's kinda like the Pope decided to change a few things in the Bible because he didn't like the way it was originally. LOL
    I'm not making a huge stink about the changes, but I can see both sides. Some people (like me) have loved these movies for 20 years. And then, they change.
    There were two major changes in the SE's that were Bad.
    * Greedo shooting first totally changes Han's arc from questionable smuggler to hero.
    * Luke's scream when he jumps in Bespin totally rapes him of any dignity he had by consciously jumping.
    The hangar that Han runs into on the Death Star was a bit of overkill too. How many troops do you need in one hangar?
    And now Boba's going to have an Aussie accent? Blah!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.