STAR WARS Debate thread

Discussion in 'Providence, RI' started by DarthLucanas, Mar 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthMoby Jedi Master

star 4
    Something occurred to me while watching Jeremy Bullockand Dan Logan at Dragon Con. Boba Fett got paid twice for the capture of Han Solo. Not only did he get paid twice, Vader was the one who actually captured Solo , tortured him, and turned him into a popcicle for Boba Fett to take him back to Jabba. So Jabba really didn't do much and sat back and reaped the rewards.

So I have some questions.

1. Why would Vader let Han Solo go? Surely after three years, word of Solo's involvement at he battle of Yavin would have reached The Empire. I know Vader was there to capture Leia and more importantly capture Luke, but, if I had the guy who caused me to fail in saving the Daeth Star in my grasp, no Bounty Hunter would EVER get thier hands on him. Han would be my new torture pal. Han would have a LONG and MISERABLE existance.

2. Does this series of event support the opinion that Boba Fett was more myth than man? And how did Slave 1 end up in the garbage dump? If I was Fett, I would have smoked the guy who thought my ship was scrap (even though it looked like scap). I just wonder how often Fett did so little and got so much in return. And how much did jobs like this enhance his reputation?
  2. Dex1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    If it hadn't been for Fett, Vader (or his incompetent boobs) would have lost the Falcon in the asteroid belt. So that's gotta at least be worth getting paid once.

1 - Vader wanted Luke, Han was a means to an end.
    Torturing some smuggler or turning your son to the Dark Side and ruling the galaxy? Ok, so you'd do both ;)

2 - Fett's picked up a few tricks in his career (AOTC asteroid chase). In his line of work, it's all about how others perceive you. His rep had to start somewhere, only in the EU do we ever see him go totally off the hook. In the Shadows of the Empire comics, he had to fend off every other bounty hunter in the galaxy before he got to Jabba's with the Hansicle.
  3. buster726 Jedi Master

star 4
    You are also forgetting that if you start analyzing the trilogy like that you will find TONS of continuity errors!
  4. Dex1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    We're just having a discussion :) When Moby & I worked together we would have talks like this for hours debating this and that in the movies. Good times.

Here's something to think about when you next watch RotJ. When Luke is taken to Vader on Endor and they're having their little chat :"You don't know the power of the Dark Side."
    Is he telling Luke he can't hope to beat him and the Emperor or is he lamenting to Luke that he doesn't know what he's getting himself into and what will happen to him if he turns?
    One time I was watching and that occurred to me. Is Vader warning him about the corruptive power of the Dark Side?
    Just something to chew on.
  5. Jeffbacca Jedi Knight

star 3
    This is in answer to Moby's Boba Fett statement.

Boba Fett is completely overrated. I doubt he did any real bounty hunting worth mentioning. If the movies portrayed how bounty hunters did their work, none of them did anything.

Like father like son. When Jango Fett wants to kill Padmé, he hires another bounty hunter. Who then gets some slugs to do her dirty work.

Not to mention Jango needing a kid to help him get away from a Jedi. Dang man do some of your own work sometimes.

And lets not forget how Boba was slain (ignoring EU). Seeing how well his jetpack worked, I bet his armor was as big a worked up legend then he was.
  6. DarthMoby Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm sure Boba did a fair share to earn his rep. We shall have to see if the new movie will shed any light on the situation.

Anyhow, a question? Speaking of the Hansicle, do you think that carbonite floats? And if it gets wet, does it rust?
  7. idarii Jedi Master

star 4
    my guess is it sinks like a rock. and it would only rust if carbonite contained oxygen..am i right? (rust being ferrous oxide) ...unless there's some other chemical reaction in that galaxy that produced another type of "rust."
  8. Dex1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    Carbonite is a metal alloy so I'm guessing it would sink. If it was light enough to float they may not have needed that hover field thingy to move Solo around.
    Hmmm...maybe if they set it to be lower to the floor they could play air hockey with him?
  9. Dex1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    Ok here's something:

How is it someone can ride a swoop/speeder bike with no faceshield? I imagine it's a little hard to breath at 150mph, not to mention the bugs. Ew!
  10. DarthLucanas Jedi Master

star 4
    Here is something I have always wondered??

Why was Vader it seemed underneath Gran Moff Tarkin and in the Empire Strikes Back Vader was calling all the shots?

Is a Gran Moff's rank over Vader ranking and leadership with the Emperor?

11. TheDeadGuy Jedi Padawan

Militarily speaking, Vader held no rank. He was, however, a special emissary to the Emperor...something that places him second only to the emp. His deference to Tarkin is merely a matter of courtesy.
  12. Dex1138 Jedi Master

star 4
  13. Jeffbacca Jedi Knight

star 3
    Are you suggesting that deep down, Darth Vader really wanted to give the Moff a force wedgie?
  14. hchristensenfan Jedi Master

star 4
    force wedgie
    Interesting, that would have been painful.
  15. Dex1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    I remember a comic in Mad Magazine...it was in the conference room on the Death Star and Vader force-pinched a female officer's butt from across the room and she slapped the guy right next to her. Gotta love the Dark Side ;)
  16. DarthLucanas Jedi Master

star 4
    His deference to Tarkin is merely a matter of courtesy.

What about when Motti mouthed off and verbaly tried to pone Vader?

And when Tarkin said "Vader..release him!"
    Vader "As you wish"

That to me didn't seem like courtesy..that sounded like an order.

Motti's statements about the force and Vader's devotion to it would of made the Emperor do the same thing to Motti. So shouldn't Vader of been allowed to make an example in the name of the Emperor.
  17. Dex1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    IMO the "As you wish." was more like an "Oh, ok if you really want me too." I dont' think Vader's intent was to kill Motti, just to make sure everyone in the room knew what the deal was ;)
  18. DarthMoby Jedi Master

star 4
    Just to clarify things, no one other Vader knew of Palpatine's abilities. It died with the Jedi Purge. Palpatine took great strides to hide his abilities. So when Vader chocked Motti, it was out of Vader's frustration that a little runt dare talk smack to him, Motti did not die only because Vader respected Tarkin's authority, he was by no means bound to it. Had Motti not died on the Death Star, he would have met a violent demise shortly after the Battle of Yavin.
  19. DarthLucanas Jedi Master

star 4
    not so much a debate....

Will we ever get the back story of Palpatine such as his beginings how he became so powerful with the force, why he became Sith? etc.

And how about the Yoda.
    Does anyone know what race and homeworld he is from?
  20. Dex1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    Palpy...maybe some day in an EU book..maybe

Yoda...not a chance. I think GL has some weird fetish about being he only one that knows ;)
  21. Jeffbacca Jedi Knight

star 3
    I think in the middle of episdoe 3, all action is going to stop, yoda is going to look at the camera and hobble over closer to the camera. He will then exclaim. "France I come from." Then the movie will start up with out another word.

Mystery solved.
  22. DarthLucanas Jedi Master

star 4
    no way Yoda is from France!!!!

Watto maybe.... but he is really French-Canadian.

Yoda if anything is Italian!!! :p

23. Jeffbacca Jedi Knight

star 3
    We all know that Chewbacca is a kind loving wookiee, that cares darely for his family and friends. He is also known to have fits of wookiee rage, extreme anger when provoked or just plan grumpy.

My question for debate is: If Chewbacca had access to the Force and the ability to use it, would he become corrupted by the dark side?
  24. DarthLucanas Jedi Master

star 4
    Depending on the situation:

Putting Han into Carbonite , Chewbacca uses all the power of the darkside he can. But I say he still stays within the lightside somehow.

Loosing to RD-D2 in a game, he force lifts the table through the window if their was one.

So I say he could use the darkside but would never become evil.
  25. Dex1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    That we've seen of him in the movies? I don't think so. He never gets really, really PO'd going into the berserker rage that Wookiees are known for.
    Sure he tossed a couple of Stormies around the CF chamber, but from what I've read that's not even close to what they can do :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.